IGNORED

Online eyeglass buyers, where do you get your glasses?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Where do you buy your glasses from online? Curious as to what your experiences were like.

I dunno if it's how glasses are made nowadays, but lenses seem to easily scratch, even with all the extra coatings. I've tried Eyebuydirect, 39 Dollar Frames and Zenni. Will go with Warby Parker this time because they have a replace scratched lenses policy after one year.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never bought glasses online but I'm curious to see other's responses.   I retired in May and my health coverage including vision and dental changed.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I've never done it either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1998 I had cateract surgery done to both eyes. It consisted of replacing my natural lenses with plastic lenses inside my eyes. My vision is 20/15 but the drawback is, that is only for distance, I still need reading glasses. Despite trying prescription, I found the best were the cheap ones found at Walmart and even some 99c stores. I think I will try some sort of the gradient multi focus so I can have for reading and computer, but the diopters required are different for each eye, not by much though.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I get mine from Warby Parker...cheap, well-built, and I can just buy a new pair if I break/lose them.

There was a half off sale at the big box warehouse store, which was tempting, but did not like any of the frames. Even at half price though, the warehouse store pricing is about the same as online stores, some online stores are still cheaper because more customization allowed.

Getting mixed messages on Warby Parker's lens quality, here's an example.

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 4.40.07 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 months later...

To answer my own question, I finally bought a pair from Warby Parker (I say finally because Warby Parker has been in business for awhile now), was hesitant to buy from them because they seem to advertise so much, like Casper (mattresses) or Harry's (razors), the turnaround time was blazing fast, got the glasses in 2 business days and my prescription is on the high index side. Customer chat service and website are very good, it is more expensive than the more "conventional" online vendors, but selection is supposedly more hip. Lenses have held up in terms of scratches, will see how that goes.

Steve

I'm going to give online a try. I went from optometrist, $600 bucks frames progressive lenses, to Costco, $200 -250 bucks or so. Huge difference

I buy my contacts at Costco. Less than half of what my optometrist wanted.

Bill M

22 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I buy my contacts at Costco. Less than half of what my optometrist wanted.

I recently re-upped my contacts here

The prices were low to begin with and 20% off and free shipping and turnaround was quick.

So for example, at Costco: $53. I bought these for $45 and they were delivered to me free. Too bad contacts have a shelf life or I would have bought more.

Steve

Not to beat a dead horse, I also bought a pair of backup glasses here. Again, it remains to see how the lenses hold up from scratches, but $75 everything included got me a pretty cool looking matte frame w/1.67 index (not the thinnest and more susceptible to scratches, these are backups) lenses. 

Steve

I've also never bought on-line, and I have a mistrust of the "bargain" outfits because of a prior experience with Lens Crafters. I don't even know if they are still in business, but many years ago decided to give them a shot. When the fitter stuck the new glasses on my face it was like I had been transported into the bizarro world! The floor looked like it was at a 45 degree upslope heading away from me. It was so disorienting that I ripped the glasses off and demanded my money back!

My buddy has had the same experience with bargain outfits. He got a new pair of glasses and couldn't see out of them! He was complaining about it on the course one day. I asked if he brought it up to the optometrist, and he said yes, but they told him he'd get used to it! I was flabbergasted! I told him he shouldn't have to "get used to" new glasses! They're supposed to correct your vision from the get go! I also asked him if he broke his leg, the doctor set it, the broken leg came out an inch shorter than the other, and they told him he'd "get used to it", would he be cool with that?!

To this day I use a local, licensed optometrist, and have been nothing but happy with their service and products. .

I had my prescription from VA and I wanted prescription sunglasses. Ordered from GlassesUSA. Easy to use, reasonably priced, etc. Thinking I would use them for golf, I stated I wanted the glasses for "distance vision" if I recall. For color of lenses, I ordered black. They were so black I couldn't read the speedometer in my car! Plus, the vision wasn't as good as I wanted. I sent them back. All that was my fault, but though I could have exchanged them for a brownish tint, I was a little concerned whether I was on the right track. -Marv

PS: Today, I wear Eagle Eyes sunglasses perfectly tinted. Mine are Fit-Ons...Great! They sell regular as well. High tech. Highly recommended eye protection and vision enhancement on the course!

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I got my first pair of glasses through my eye doctor (Ray Bans), and my newer pair through the optical shop at work (a brand called Hudson that specializes in prescription safety glasses - they look just like my Ray Bans but they came with side shields that I can take on and off). I've used LensCrafters a few times for prescription sunglasses (a pair of Wayfarers and a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket 2s), and once to put clear prescription lenses in an Oakely Flak Jacket frame (I use for night driving and golf when it's cloudy). LensCrafters messed that one up initially, but got it right the second try, so no harm done.

It's not that I'm against buying glasses online, but it's one of the few products where customer service is important to me, so I lean towards buying them in person.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

20 hours ago, jamo said:

I got my first pair of glasses through my eye doctor (Ray Bans), and my newer pair through the optical shop at work (a brand called Hudson that specializes in prescription safety glasses - they look just like my Ray Bans but they came with side shields that I can take on and off). I've used LensCrafters a few times for prescription sunglasses (a pair of Wayfarers and a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket 2s), and once to put clear prescription lenses in an Oakely Flak Jacket frame (I use for night driving and golf when it's cloudy). LensCrafters messed that one up initially, but got it right the second try, so no harm done.

It's not that I'm against buying glasses online, but it's one of the few products where customer service is important to me, so I lean towards buying them in person.

I agree with this. There is also fit to consider. The distance between pupils and how the glasses sit on your nose it important too. I used to go to Lenscrafters long ago, but I go a local optometrist now. He has excellent customer service and fixes issues at no cost. I even exchanged progresses lenses for bifocals once at no charge. Service is very important to me and worth the extra money to get it right IMO.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, I agree the customer service is worth it if it's something you value and I guess I've been lucky I've had no problems with any orders (have been doing online since 2010) barring lens scratching - but that was due to getting thicker lenses and they're not as scratch resistant. 

They do take the PD (pupillary distance, mine is 62mm for example) measurement as part of the order so I guess they do that adjustment.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!