Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Getting Started in Disc Golf

33 posts / 18531 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

The putter off the tee? I believe you, but why ? More control?

Yeah.

I've played putter-only rounds. You can throw it several hundred feet, and they're often some of the straightest fliers out there - you can put them on a line and an angle and they'll hold that line/angle pretty well.

Plus they teach you the most about your form.

@cipher will back me up on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah.

I've played putter-only rounds. You can throw it several hundred feet, and they're often some of the straightest fliers out there - you can put them on a line and an angle and they'll hold that line/angle pretty well.

Plus they teach you the most about your form.

@cipher will back me up on that.

Yep.  Also, distance in disc golf is not as dependent on the disc as in golf it can be on the club.  I can throw a putter within' roughly 50 feet of my longest driver.  Let's see @Shorty try and dispute that bogus claim!

15 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

I trust ya, I just have to get out and do it

You should indeed!  It is very fun once you learn to get a little power behind the throw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I made it out this morning to the coarse by my house. Had fun but I really need to work on form. My question is keeping score? This coarse has the distance marked but not what par each hole is, and no score card of any kind. Keeping track on my phone would be easy but without knowing par how would I know where I stand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

So I made it out this morning to the coarse by my house. Had fun but I really need to work on form. My question is keeping score? This coarse has the distance marked but not what par each hole is, and no score card of any kind. Keeping track on my phone would be easy but without knowing par how would I know where I stand? 

Call everything a par three. Most older courses are like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried disc golf for the first time this past weekend. I had a great time. I did use the "driver" too much and got way off line a few times, I didn't know to use the putter and mid range discs for more accuracy. Next time I will try this out. I played a "par 3" course and got a 4 on nearly every hole, mostly because my drives were so far off course that I couldn't get a recovery close enough to save par. @iacas is right about putting though, once you are within 30 feet or so it is pretty easy to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I tried disc golf for the first time this past weekend. I had a great time. I did use the "driver" too much and got way off line a few times, I didn't know to use the putter and mid range discs for more accuracy. Next time I will try this out. I played a "par 3" course and got a 4 on nearly every hole, mostly because my drives were so far off course that I couldn't get a recovery close enough to save par. @iacas is right about putting though, once you are within 30 feet or so it is pretty easy to make. 

Many disc golf courses are going to be all par three holes. Only the more modern ones with holes stretching over 400' tend to have "par 4s" and "par 5s".

I average far fewer putts (if you count putting as any time you're using a putter to try to make the shot) playing disc golf than golf, which puts even MORE of an emphasis on the long game in disc golf over having a good short game. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's a few courses at the Colleges here in the Ithaca area, and I believe they are all free. I thought about giving it a try. I saw a 4 disc starter set at Dick's recently and thought about giving it a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

There's a few courses at the Colleges here in the Ithaca area, and I believe they are all free. I thought about giving it a try. I saw a 4 disc starter set at Dick's recently and thought about giving it a try. 

You should. It's fun, and you can improve really quickly at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am going to buy myself and Jacob one of the starter sets. I took Emma to the park over the weekend and saw some guys playing. I think it would be fun as alternative to paying to play at the course. And the whole family can go to the park and the wife and Emma can play on the playground while me and Jacob play disc golf. Kinda hard to pass up seeing that the starter sets are so cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I am going to buy myself and Jacob one of the starter sets. I took Emma to the park over the weekend and saw some guys playing. I think it would be fun as alternative to paying to play at the course. And the whole family can go to the park and the wife and Emma can play on the playground while me and Jacob play disc golf. Kinda hard to pass up seeing that the starter sets are so cheap

I really like the MVP discs, and you can get a starter set of them in two different plastics: https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/accessories/disc-golf-starter-set/. The overmold makes them very durable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I really like the MVP discs, and you can get a starter set of them in two different plastics: https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/accessories/disc-golf-starter-set/. The overmold makes them very durable.

I'm debating on just going to Dick's to pick up the sets instead. Jacob is out of school this week and it would be a great time to get some rounds in during the holidays. We don't have prime anymore, so ordering from Amazon says it would be the 30th before receiving them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I'm debating on just going to Dick's to pick up the sets instead. Jacob is out of school this week and it would be a great time to get some rounds in during the holidays. We don't have prime anymore, so ordering from Amazon says it would be the 30th before receiving them.

That too. Just don't get the DX versions or the cheaper ones. They wear out quickly, and you'll be hitting a lot of trees and paths early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • I went through something very similar after a swing improvement session (lesson) and it terrified me.  My teaching pro told me it was just an adjustment period that old muscle memory was fighting.  He told me to just relax and go out and hit balls at the range for a few more days and it should all fall into place.  The next day, I was hitting the ball better than I ever had in the past. I hope you have a similar experience.
    • So as governor, I could say that wearing a burka for instance is a risk and make it illegal with a wave of my magic wand? It's a slippery slope. I'm not anti-mask. I am pro common sense. He made it a criminal offense in "red" counties, but a few months ago was letting felons out of prison to protect them from COVID-19. All the local and county police departments are releasing statements that they are not going to be the mask police, so what good does it do. The more they try to assert authority, the more people become opposed to what they say. Heck, my county sheriff put out a statement asking people to stop calling 9-1-1 when the see someone without a mask. 
    • Day 24 COVID-19 Practice Plan Challenge Trail Elbow Left arm and left hand drill, 2 step swing Full swing practice with a 6i and 8i.  
    • My game is coming together.  Off the tee, I am improving from round to round.  There is still room for improvement, but I think I just need to get confident with the driver.  With my irons, I am literally hitting the ball better than I ever have.  My miss is now a thin shot, rather than a weak chunked shot that leaves me a full shot short of the green.  However, most of my irons are pure, or as close to pure, as they have ever been.  Today, I was striping four and five irons into greens protected by water without fear. My short game, while not getting me up and down for pars yet, is allowing me to limit the damage.  I have played my last two rounds, on difficult, tree lined courses, without a single triple bogey.  My last triple bogey was forty holes ago.  The putts that I am missing are burning the edges, and I stuck several five-to-ten footers right in the heart of the cup.  My lag putting is improving with every round, and my confidence with the putter is rising. My course management is improving as my swing is improving, because I am becoming more confident in my abilities.  When I am over a shot, my thoughts have shifted from just staying out of trouble, to actually focusing on targets.  My next step is to really get a better handle on my club distances.  As my swing has improved, my distances have increased, and I've got to figure them out so that I can avoid the debacles like happened on the 17th today.  I tried to lay-up with a seven iron, but hit it into the woods.  If I put that one into the fairway, I make par, instead of double bogey. My handicap is falling as my confidence is rising.
    • Well...yeah. This kind of mechanical practice really should be done with video. You’re shown what the proper movement is you’re trying to achieve...then you do it very, very slowly. Over and over. You’ve got to make sure the feel you’re acquiring is producing the position you’re looking for. How you hit the ball needs to be further down the line for now. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Bob Bowers
      Bob Bowers
      (60 years old)
    2. Connor B
      Connor B
      (19 years old)
    3. GOLFNINJA
      GOLFNINJA
      (44 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...