IGNORED

Biodegradable Golf Balls to hit in the water?

Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just came back from a fishing trip. 

The weather wasn't as good as we expected with high winds, so we were not able to go out on a couple of days. 

We were in a remote location in an ocean front property where there were no amenities and no one around for miles. I love a good cigar, drinking and seating by the fire but...boy wouldn't it be fun to bring a couple of clubs and hit some balls in to the water? I always wanted to do that, but I don't like throwing anything in the water that is not environmentally friendly. As a fisherman and a diver, I care about keeping the sea life population healthy and the ocean free of plastic and other crap that doesn't belong there. It really sucks when you are diving a nice little spot and you run in to cans, bottles and other stuff.

So, how about balls that are biodegradable?  

I don't know of any. I'd be concerned dampness, wet grass etc would degrade them. They make floating balls, been to a couple ranges at courses where you hit into a lake with targets.

We were bareboating in the Virgin Islands a few years ago, I went snorkeling and found a golf ball on the bottom off a deserted cay there. That was a what the heck moment

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Hategolf said:

Google it.  There are several of them.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

16 hours ago, Hategolf said:

I just came back from a fishing trip. 

The weather wasn't as good as we expected with high winds, so we were not able to go out on a couple of days. 

We were in a remote location in an ocean front property where there were no amenities and no one around for miles. I love a good cigar, drinking and seating by the fire but...boy wouldn't it be fun to bring a couple of clubs and hit some balls in to the water? I always wanted to do that, but I don't like throwing anything in the water that is not environmentally friendly. As a fisherman and a diver, I care about keeping the sea life population healthy and the ocean free of plastic and other crap that doesn't belong there. It really sucks when you are diving a nice little spot and you run in to cans, bottles and other stuff.

At the Senior Tour event in Maritius this month the players were hitting balls made of fish food into the ocean. They were sealed with a disolving film and looked like they flew like single piece range balls. 

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 9:05 AM, chilepepper said:

Haha, no. Its where you rent an un captained sailboat and cruise the islands by yourselves

We love chartering down in the BVI's.  Some of the best sailing on the planet and it is always great

to use someone elses $250K sailboat.  We currently own an OLDER Hunter 34 in a landlocked lake.

Here is a pic from our last time there.  A nice 39' Beneteau.

kickedback.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

Good article about a couple of kids cleaning up the golf balls from the ocean near Pebble Beach -- I bet they would be all for biodegradable golf balls being required on holes bordering the ocean.

http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2017/01/27/ball-retrievers-meet-two-environmentally-conscious-teens-who-have-collected-thousands-golf-balls

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!