IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Except all I said was the wheels came off this weekend and it was the short game this weekend, not the long game.  Yet you seem to have been there to observe that I have it all wrong. 

No, you told me your tee shots were weak, and your worse scores makes sense given that.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Lihu said:

No, you told me your tee shots were weak.

But I also explained that they weren't as penal as they would be at my home course. 

1 minute ago, tdiii said:

But I also explained that they weren't as penal as they would be at my home course. 

Still penal though, right?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Still penal though, right?

I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility that, on this occasion, he lost more shots to problems with his short game than problems off the tee. I know there are times where I may only lose one ball off the tee, but I'll have several 3 putts and multiple screwed up chips which hurt my score more. Given that he's mentioned that on his course a wayward drive is a lost ball and on these courses a wayward drive just meant a punch out from the trees I don't have any problems believing that the short game was his main downfall scoring wise during those two rounds.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

4 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility that, on this occasion, he lost more shots to problems with his short game than problems off the tee. I know there are times where I may only lose one ball off the tee, but I'll have several 3 putts and multiple screwed up chips which hurt my score more. Given that he's mentioned that on his course a wayward drive is a lost ball and on these courses a wayward drive just meant a punch out from the trees I don't have any problems believing that the short game was his main downfall scoring wise during those two rounds.

3 putts don't usually make up 8-10 strokes for a 15HC.

However, I'm open to getting more information to determine what really happened rather than making general statements. We just don't have enough facts to prove one way or another.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

However, I'm open to getting more information to determine what really happened rather than making general statements. We just don't have enough facts to prove one way or another.

Maybe your obtuseness is not intentional after all.  No one is saying 3 putts make up 8 - 10 strokes.  There are bladed chips, chunked chips, and, yes, even errant tee shots.  But, good of you to be magnanimous. 

8 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Maybe your obtuseness is not intentional after all.  No one is saying 3 putts make up 8 - 10 strokes.  There are bladed chips, chunked chips, and, yes, even errant tee shots.  But, good of you to be magnanimous. 

All I was stating is if you had a strong long game you would not need to chip as much, and the odds of blading or chunking chips is less.

Look, I'm not criticizing your long game, it's a common fault for any golfer to blame their short games over their long. Not really sure why? Generally, if you're not putting more than half your holes in regulation you have a weak long game. That probably applies to 99% of us.

You are also attacking me by calling me obtuse, and there's really no reason to do that. I refuse to do the same even though I firmly believe you would agree with my above statements in an "aha" moment someday.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

14 minutes ago, Lihu said:

12 minutes ago, tdiii said:

No one is saying 3 putts make up 8 - 10 strokes.  There are bladed chips, chunked chips, and, yes, even errant tee shots.

I think the point is, overall maybe he lost 3 shots to missed putts, another 3 or 4 shots to duffed/bladed chips, then 2 or 3 shots off of errant tee shots. Given those numbers the short game had a larger direct impact on his score than the tee shots. From my experience, if I'm having trouble putting I put more pressure on myself to hit a better chip. In doing so, I tend to mess up my chipping also, compounding the scoring problems. Just throwing out some possible things to consider.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

I think the point is, overall maybe he lost 3 shots to 3 putts, another 3 or 4 shots to duffed/bladed chips, then 2 or 3 shots off of errant tee shots. Given those numbers the short game had a larger direct impact on his score than the tee shots. From my experience, if I'm having trouble putting I put more pressure on myself to hit a better chip. In doing so, I tend to mess up my chipping also, compounding the scoring problems. Just throwing out some possible things to consider.

Yes, and all I was stating is that if one has a strong long game chipping faults would happen less.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just now, Lihu said:

Yes, and all I was stating is that if one has a strong long game chipping faults would happen less.

Except that even with a great long game, one is still going to miss the majority of greens -- unless one is talking scratch long-game ability.  The average 5 to 20 handicappers will hit only 4 to 7 greens in regulation.  But you know that already. 

42 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Except that even with a great long game, one is still going to miss the majority of greens -- unless one is talking scratch long-game ability.  The average 5 to 20 handicappers will hit only 4 to 7 greens in regulation.  But you know that already. 

The lower your handicap the closer are your misses, though. Many of the missed greens are on the fringe or really close.

Scramble percentages are much higher with lower handicaps that they really need to be very close to the hole even when off the green. It only gets better the lower your handicap. GIR is not a binary thing where you hit 'x' number of greens, it's very much analog.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

20 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The lower your handicap the closer are your misses, though. Many of the missed greens are on the fringe or really close.

Scramble percentages are much higher with lower handicaps that they really need to be very close to the hole even when off the green. It only gets better the lower your handicap. GIR is not a binary thing where you hit 'x' number of greens, it's very much analog.

Last time I checked, a 9.2HC does qualify as a bogey golfer. Note the "Only" in the thread title.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I got into a ball striking slump.   I couldn't get my clubhead squared at impact.  It turns out I was bowing my wrist at the top a bit too much.  It took a few camera shots to identify the regression. I fixed it but my HI is trending at high 15s.  I need to have a few good rounds to keep my next HI under bogey golf land.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just now, rkim291968 said:

I got into a ball striking slump.   I couldn't get my clubhead squared at impact.  It turns out I was bowing my wrist at the top a bit too much.  It took a few camera shots to identify the regression. I fixed it but my HI is trending at high 15s.  I need to have a few good rounds to keep my next HI under bogey golf land.   

Interested in what problems this causes.  We're not all Dustin Johnson, but it seems to work okay for him. . . If I don't bow at the top, I cast the club. 

36 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Interested in what problems this causes.  We're not all Dustin Johnson, but it seems to work okay for him. . . If I don't bow at the top, I cast the club. 

Are you sure bowing is helping you with your casting problem?   I am not sure they are connected.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

9 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

so does this mean you're pulling/hooking or pushing/slicing? (I assume pulling/hooking)

I tend to regress into a cupped wrist at the top. I think I'm in one of those patterns now, need to do some quick camera work like you. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

10 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

13 minutes ago, divot dave said:

so does this mean you're pulling/hooking or pushing/slicing? (I assume pulling/hooking)

I tend to regress into a cupped wrist at the top. I think I'm in one of those patterns now, need to do some quick camera work like you. 

Is this what you mean by cupped? I have struggled with this a lot. What do you do to correct it?

cupped.jpg

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!