IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note:Β This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Strat-Pack Rick said:

It was the hilliest place ive ever seen in Florida and the wind was blowing pretty good. Now that I have my excuses out of the way, I shot an 88.

Good job.Β  88 is good.Β  79 is better but hey, we will get there someday.

Love the excuse part! :whistle:Β  Gotta cover the bases!Β  (Hills in Florida???) Wonder if you were the only one to get out?

Looks like we have a few finger putters and a few not and some converted ones.Β  Shall we start a poll to see who does, who did and who don't?

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: MiuraΒ MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno:Β MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Love the excuse part! :whistle:Β  Gotta cover the bases!Β  (Hills in Florida???) Wonder if you were the only one to get out?

Looks like we have a few finger putters and a few not and some converted ones.Β  Shall we start a poll to see who does, who did and who don't?

Anywhere else, they're known as "mounds". :-D

79 will come. . .

• Upvote 1

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was watching a video of one of the keys talking about your right elbow getting trapped behind you. Where does my elbow need to be ? Should i push it away a little ? When i start getting tired or if im trying to really get on a shot, I know i get trapped sometimes. Ive been watching myself in the mirror and when i push my elbow away a little it feels okay. Im just worried that I will get flying elbow disease. I guess pushing my elbow away but still pointing it down is what I need to do but im worried it will fly when im not in front of the mirror. This is gonna mess with my head , heck it already is. Where can I find more on this position at the top ? You tube is getting as bad as golf magazines as far as contradiction.Β 

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg Β  W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

9 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

@Vinny Cap Β Im all about polls, haha. Man im telling you there are hills !!!!! Blackstone Golf Club Mossey Head Florida, Maybe they have pics on the website. I know they have this critter. These pics dont show the slopes hardly but you had to allow for how far your ball would roll down hills. It was tough but a heck of a lot of fun !!

20160730_104527 (1).jpg

20160730_100754 (1).jpg

20160730_095356 (1).jpg

20160730_095411.jpg

20160730_100742 (1).jpg

Edited by Strat-Pack Rick
Forgot something

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

15 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

@Vinny Cap Β Im all about polls, haha. Man im telling you there are hills !!!!! Blackstone Golf Club Mossey Head Florida, Maybe they have pics on the website. I know they have this critter. These pics dont show the slopes hardly but you had to allow for how far your ball would roll down hills. It was tough but a heck of a lot of fun !!

I was just messing with you, hope you know that.

That is one ugly squirrel but a nice looking golf course.Β  Wish I was out playing there.Β  We got a dusting of snow yesterday and the gloom has set in.Β  Getting ready to hibernate for the winter!Β  Grab my Mizunos and Miuras and wait for the next Tee time!

15 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Β 

Hi all, long time lurker thought I'd get involved.

currently playing off 27.4 handicap (U.K.) however I'm threatening to smash a score in the low 80s despite my best being a 95. Β I've got back into golf in the last couple months after curing my slice after some lessons.

Am now massively addicted and purely focused on getting that horrible handicap down.

Played Flackwell Heath the other day (a course I've never played) and shot a 92 despite taking a 14 on one hole !!!

My ball striking is very good however putting is dreadful. What really costs me is a few blow up holes per round.

just started reading Dave Pelz putting bible in an attempt to stop hitting 40+ putts per round. Also have Lowest score wins coming for xmas.

My current strategy for breaking into the 80s is to drop driver unless I can't reach green in 2 without it. Reason being I'm a fairly long hitter (260 yard carry with driver when hit well) but more often than not I'm wayward and tee shot costs me many shots with OOB / lost ball or ball in trees.

Loving golf at the mo and this forum. Playing again tomorrow so will update on how I get on.

Β 

46 minutes ago, lee34 said:

Hi all, long time lurker thought I'd get involved.

currently playing off 27.4 handicap (U.K.) however I'm threatening to smash a score in the low 80s despite my best being a 95. Β I've got back into golf in the last couple months after curing my slice after some lessons.

Am now massively addicted and purely focused on getting that horrible handicap down.

Played Flackwell Heath the other day (a course I've never played) and shot a 92 despite taking a 14 on one hole !!!

My ball striking is very good however putting is dreadful. What really costs me is a few blow up holes per round.

just started reading Dave Pelz putting bible in an attempt to stop hitting 40+ putts per round. Also have Lowest score wins coming for xmas.

My current strategy for breaking into the 80s is to drop driver unless I can't reach green in 2 without it. Reason being I'm a fairly long hitter (260 yard carry with driver when hit well) but more often than not I'm wayward and tee shot costs me many shots with OOB / lost ball or ball in trees.

Loving golf at the mo and this forum. Playing again tomorrow so will update on how I get on.

Β 

Welcome! Sounds like your addiction may make you stick around. Sometimes, the SandTrap can be a venus FlyTrap like that.

20 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Β 

20160730_104527 (1).jpg

That's a ridiculously funny pic.

Β 

On 11/22/2016 at 9:14 PM, Fairway_CY said:

This is my favorite thread on this site. Β I feel like everybody is happy when someone posts a good score and supportive when someone is struggling. Β 

CY- did you see that we published your analysis?-->https://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/deep_dive_analysis_cy

No pressure, but now that it's official, all of us in the thread will be pulling for you to gain those 10 strokes improvement. Actually, it looks like you've improved 5 already!!! It was a few months ago we did the analysis (sorry re the delay), but I got hung up with some other life issues that pulled me off topic for a while.

For those who haven't seen, we will take a stab at a feature that helps us in this thread get some detailed info about where we are leaking the most strokes.

For more information, or to contribute about the potential of that feature, please visit this thread below:

I'll always be a regular here in this thread too, so you can chime in here, but let's mainly keep this thread about our struggles as bogey golfers, not so much about that new feature.

Β 

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

10 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

I was just messing with you, hope you know that.

That is one ugly squirrel but a nice looking golf course.Β  Wish I was out playing there.Β  We got a dusting of snow yesterday and the gloom has set in.Β  Getting ready to hibernate for the winter!Β  Grab my Mizunos and Miuras and wait for the next Tee time!

I named him Bogey . He was a cool little guy, He just wanted what was in my cooler. I gave him a pinch off of an energy bar and right up a tree he went, haha. Good Day !!

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

I was fortunate enough to win the Rookie Of the Month Award yall !!! I just want to thank all of you for helping me with my game and chatting about our great rounds we have been putting down. This thread is my comfort zone. You all are great and it seems we could all go play together,haha. Its nice to be able to talk golf with your own skill level and plus we have a good time. I know its winter but when the spring comes around , lets get those scores lower now. Also, please post pics of the courses you are playing. It would be great to see what everyone is up against out there. Hit Em Good Yall and thanks for everything !!

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

So played today at my local course which is a par 69. Short course but punishes if you aren't straight with lots of OOB. My best round is a 95 here. Playing off 27.4 handicap (U.K.).

Came flying out the blocks birdied the first hole which is a par 4 and then parred the next hole which is a par 3.

1 under par after 2 holes and I was starting to get excited lol. After 5 holes I was sitting pretty at 2 over par. I then had 2 pretty bad holes and completed the first 9 holes in 44.

But couldn't help but feel disappointed as I was playing well and had 2 bad holes on the front 9.

Back 9 started like the front 9 I had a 2 foot birdie putt on hole 10 which I missed to my annoyance.

Everything was going well and I was on to break90 easily.....until I got to the 15th and took 11 shots !!! Round blown.

Went in the back 9 holes shooting a 49 which ended the round on 93. I beat my best by 2 strokes but walked into the clubhouse bar feeling absolutely dejected at what should have been a great 18 holes.

I scored 41 stableford points.

My handicap was cut from 27.4 back down to 27.0. Which again disappointed me as I thought I would at least be now off 25. I track my handicap using Golfshake which is an app on my iPhone.Β 

So I beat my best score by 2 shots and should be elated but I'm truly gutted as I was playing some really good golf consistently. As usual 2 or 3 bad holes and it destroys my score card.

Onto my next round Sunday and hopefully I will break 90......

Lee

Β 

23 hours ago, lee34 said:

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, lee34 said:

So played today at my local course which is a par 69. Short course but punishes if you aren't straight with lots of OOB. My best round is a 95 here. Playing off 27.4 handicap (U.K.).

This is kind of in sync with "Lowest Score Wins", and recommending that you choose the longest club that is safe***.

So as we probably hit about the same distances (based upon your previous post), the one thing that helped me get lower scores on shorter courses has been to back off the driver. Basically, use a 5W or even a hybrid off the tee, and I'm talking about straight fairways but possibly narrow.

For doglegs and other "tricky" features, you might even need to change to some kind of long iron. Which iron kind of depends upon your shot zones and the run length.

A 69 rated course probably has an average par 4 in the 340-360 yard range. This means that if you can get out to 210-220 yards off the tee, but straight then your second shot is going to be a PW or less. The longest one or two par 4 might be 400-ish yards so a 5W should get you 230 yards on good shots. That leaves a 7i or 6i approach at most.

Β 

***You need to know your "Shot Zones" to some relative degree of comfort.

• Upvote 1

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good to see people making progress.Β Β  That's a big part of why we keep playing golf.

Winter golf is harder. Β  The cold air has shortened my drive distance, which was already short.Β  I am losing a lot of golf balls, a two stroke setback each time I lose a ball.Β 

What's working: chipping, putting, course management, bunker

What's not working: ball striking distance, pitching

What I am working on: chipping, putting, proper hip/shoulder turn

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2 hours ago, lee34 said:

Everything was going well and I was on to break90 easily.....until I got to the 15th and took 11 shots !!! Round blown.

Great story, I enjoy reading these (and especially now since I haven't been able to play).

You would have not only broken 90 but probably sniffed 85. What went wrong on 15? Water hazard?

Β 

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2016 at 1:37 PM, Strat-Pack Rick said:

I was watching a video of one of the keys talking about your right elbow getting trapped behind you. Where does my elbow need to be ? Should i push it away a little ? When i start getting tired or if im trying to really get on a shot, I know i get trapped sometimes. Ive been watching myself in the mirror and when i push my elbow away a little it feels okay. Im just worried that I will get flying elbow disease. I guess pushing my elbow away but still pointing it down is what I need to do but im worried it will fly when im not in front of the mirror. This is gonna mess with my head , heck it already is. Where can I find more on this position at the top ? You tube is getting as bad as golf magazines as far as contradiction.Β 

I am no instructor, Β but...If your set up is correct, meaning your butt is out, making room for your arms while they hang down and you try to stay "connected", that should makeΒ your right elbow stay in the right place. Β 1,try to stay connected by keeping your elbows together like Hogan shows in his book and 2, turn on one piece trying to keep your rightΒ elbow somewhat on your upper right ribs. I think eventually, you can lift your elbow a little higher for more power but I think you add an element of timing to bring it down and it can be tricky.Β 

I would not suggest pushing your elbow away if you are already setup properly. I noticed pushing the elbow away can lead to a hook or big draw that could get you out of play...and worse of all..a SHANK!....How do I know? because I had all those problems for pushing away..The elbow, goes out, then it pushes the arms and is bad. Β 

I had to work on turning my chest and arms while staying connected so I wouldn't just turn my shoulders, that keeps everything in front of your chest and is easier to clear.Β 

Then again, I am trying to get rid of the 90's.Β 

Good luck.

Edited by Hategolf

Lihu had some good advice above.Β  I have noticed that with a smoother swing, better course management and avoiding stupid/hero shots, I have been able to go from 92 - 94 down to the mid 80's.Β 

The Driver is not always the answer off the Tee.Β  Sometimes it puts you in the woods, water or something else to add strokes to your score.Β  My 3w, 5w and 3i are good n straight off the Tee so I throw them into play a lot when its not a straight hole or a good driver will put me to a spot I am not comfy with.Β  Nothing worse than crushing a drive only to be at an odd distance and then duffing the shot or coming up short.Β  Better to flush a 3i and have a nice 7i or 9i with a smooth comfy swing to plop it on the green.Β  This is something I have lived this summer and keep the knowledge filed in my bag to help me on my way to breaking 80.Β  Hope to be in that club and thread in the springtime.

This thread does rock and I do like reading fellow golfers rounds when I cant get out to play.Β  Is winter over yet!Β  Keep hitting them and posting for us that cant!

Edited by Vinny Cap
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

The Driver is not always the answer off the Tee.Β  Sometimes it puts you in the woods, water or something else to add strokes to your score.Β 

Indeed. And in another cruel twist, the better you become with your driver, the further it goes, which also means the furtherΒ offline it goes on smaller mishits. But man, is it fun to hit..

The last few weeks of the season I was using a 3H and not nearly as exciting, but consistently making many more pars.

Β 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Indeed. And in another cruel twist, the better you become with your driver, the further it goes, which also means the furtherΒ offline it goes on smaller mishits. But man, is it fun to hit..

The last few weeks of the season I was using a 3H and not nearly as exciting, but consistently making many more pars.

Β 

What gets the better score the fun or safe?Β  I totally hear you as I crushed 3 drives in my last round only to end up in totally odd spots/distances and lost a stroke each time to a duff/short shot.Β  This info is on file and wont happen again.Β  I played the first 3 years without a D as I couldn't hit it for beans.Β  I was about as long as my friends with my 3w and worked on the D off the course.Β  Last season & 1/2 I have been hitting it good and straight with the D and a few of my buds have threatened to break my D as they don't like it when I hit it farther than they do.Β  Course management is key to a good round that is for sure!

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Β 

This is kind of in sync with "Lowest Score Wins", and recommending that you choose the longest club that is safe***.

So as we probably hit about the same distances (based upon your previous post), the one thing that helped me get lower scores on shorter courses has been to back off the driver. Basically, use a 5W or even a hybrid off the tee, and I'm talking about straight fairways but possibly narrow.

For doglegs and other "tricky" features, you might even need to change to some kind of long iron. Which iron kind of depends upon your shot zones and the run length.

A 69 rated course probably has an average par 4 in the 340-360 yard range. This means that if you can get out to 210-220 yards off the tee, but straight then your second shot is going to be a PW or less. The longest one or two par 4 might be 400-ish yards so a 5W should get you 230 yards on good shots. That leaves a 7i or 6i approach at most.

Β 

***You need to know your "Shot Zones" to some relative degree of comfort.

Well the driver only came out twice today. One I practically drove the green the other was wayward but got away with it.

One thing that has really helped is dropping driver and going 6 iron off the tee. This usually leaves me a 6 iron - Wedge second shot in on most par 4s on this course. I am sacrificing distance but am gaining accuracy which I will take all day long. I hit my 6 iron for about 170 yards carry.

This is definitely the way forward for me as when I do boom the driver it goes miles however when it goes wrong (more often than not) I'm losing penalty strokes. So until I'm more consistent with driver on the range I will keep it in the bag.

I shall be investing in a hybrid soon to give me a bit more oomph off the tee than my 6 iron.

Looking forward to reading lowest score wins and hope that will help also.

Note:Β This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!