IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you flipping? It sounds a bit to me like it may be a flipping issue, and the quality of your shots is dependent on the timing of it.

Maybe. Here's why. I hit 100 balls the way I was swinging, and measured and noted where on the net the balls were hitting. Next, I tried hitting another 100 balls with a "forced" pronation of the lead wrist. Basically, I was putting in more lag in my swing. I was conscious of the wrist position before and after impact. Went back after taking a little break with my son, and started hitting balls with the pronation of the lead wrist. The balls were definitely going lower by a few degrees. I hit about 20 balls with each iron 7,6,5,4,3. My reverse K was about 15 degrees, spine at almost 30 degrees. I will see tomorrow if my distances increased and spin is reduced.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I checked out the link and do you think the same setup holds true for the driver?

I've always read/heard/been told that you want the ball to be teed up in line with the inside of the front foot and in the link it says to play it back in the stance.

It works with the driver. Set up with the ball position as you normally wood.

I've gone into my backyard and tried to train myself to swing in to out with my driver.

Was going pretty well.  I'm planning to play Saturday and Sunday so have to get in a range session before I play to see how it goes.

I've also decided that if I see a blowup hole coming, I'm going to try and avoid the hero shot and just take my medicine in hopes that a par 4 won't be an 8 or 9 and instead be a 6 or 7.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

A lot that has been posted here has been very helpful.

I worry damaging my house about practicing my swing indoors on the living room carpet but maybe I shouldn't?

What did you find yourself focusing on most to stop hitting slices off the tee?

good question...

I wound up making the most progress when I paid closer attention to my back swing. I learned that I was swinging my club back more with my arms instead of turning my upper body. When I started making a more "connected" back swing, my downswing just kind of fell in line, and I started hitting draws and even hooks. I was also focusing on getting my weight more forward as well. I had a huge problem with hitting off my back foot which I think was contributing to the problem.

I think I have to train and focus myself to swing more in to out and then go from there.

For a myriad of reasons, I wish it were summer, but right now, it's because the sun sets by around and I can't go to the range after work.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Are you flipping? It sounds a bit to me like it may be a flipping issue, and the quality of your shots is dependent on the timing of it.

Maybe.

Here's why. I hit 100 balls the way I was swinging, and measured and noted where on the net the balls were hitting. Next, I tried hitting another 100 balls with a "forced" pronation of the lead wrist. Basically, I was putting in more lag in my swing. I was conscious of the wrist position before and after impact.

Went back after taking a little break with my son, and started hitting balls with the pronation of the lead wrist. The balls were definitely going lower by a few degrees. I hit about 20 balls with each iron 7,6,5,4,3. My reverse K was about 15 degrees, spine at almost 30 degrees.

I will see tomorrow if my distances increased and spin is reduced.

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but what kind of net do you have and can you use the driver on it?

Christian

Maybe. Here's why. I hit 100 balls the way I was swinging, and measured and noted where on the net the balls were hitting. Next, I tried hitting another 100 balls with a "forced" pronation of the lead wrist. Basically, I was putting in more lag in my swing. I was conscious of the wrist position before and after impact. Went back after taking a little break with my son, and started hitting balls with the pronation of the lead wrist. The balls were definitely going lower by a few degrees. I hit about 20 balls with each iron 7,6,5,4,3. My reverse K was about 15 degrees, spine at almost 30 degrees. I will see tomorrow if my distances increased and spin is reduced.

Nice. Definitely work on the feel in practice. Just watch that you don't force it too much or it may make your swing too rigid. I know it's kind of a moot point for you, but here in NJ the only redeeming factor of winter is that I can seriously work on my swing without worrying about playing. Here is a good drill I think will help you: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/36669/maintaining-the-flying-wedge]http://thesandtrap.com/t/36669/maintaining-the-flying-wedge[/URL]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but what kind of net do you have and can you use the driver on it?

I have a Callaway 9' tri-net, but I also have an old net behind it with a PVC pipe frame with the sun shade fabric around that. I took out the target fabric because of the noise. The Callaway net always stops the ball. The ball just goes deeper into the net on a drive. I have already replaced the original fiberglass frame with PVC because I smashed the fiberglass frame.

That said, I usually practice all my irons at home and driver at the range that uses full distance balls or on the course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nice. Definitely work on the feel in practice. Just watch that you don't force it too much or it may make your swing too rigid. I know it's kind of a moot point for you, but here in NJ the only redeeming factor of winter is that I can seriously work on my swing without worrying about playing.

Here is a good drill I think will help you: http://thesandtrap.com/t/36669/maintaining-the-flying-wedge

Thanks.
Actually, I used one of the 5SK video drills. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I was right here with you guys until about a year ago when i decided to make changes...

Until that point i had always thought that the way to be good was to hit the ball 400yds off the tee and thats how you have good rounds, well it doesnt matter how far you hit the ball if you cant hit it straight.  So i focused on removing that deadly slice that continued to get me into trouble off the tee, which in turn made me have to play catch up, which led to terrible rounds and a lot of headaches.

So i did just that, i spent a lot of time on google and on the range removing the bad parts of my swing.  I took almost 80 yds off my drive distance but im hitting 85-90% fairways now.  And i went from a 19 to 12.

So this is my philosophy and im sticking to it:

"Put your Tee Shot in the fairway and the rest of the game is a lot more simple and a lot less stressful"

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by jbro06

"Put your Tee Shot in the fairway and the rest of the game is a lot more simple and a lot less stressful"

Makes perfect sense to me.

My rounds in the 90's this year (I'm usually upper 90's/low 100) all came on the heels of two things:

-Keeping the tee shot in play, even if shorter

-Better from 100 yards in. Be it a pitch closer to the pin, or fewer 3 putts (of which I can still have a lot)

Russ B.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbro06

Makes perfect sense to me.

My rounds in the 90's this year (I'm usually upper 90's/low 100) all came on the heels of two things:

-Keeping the tee shot in play, even if shorter

-Better from 100 yards in. Be it a pitch closer to the pin, or fewer 3 putts (of which I can still have a lot)

To me, how many drives I put in a fairway per round does not correlate to my final score very well.   I may have a good tee shot day without the corresponding final score and vice versa.   To me, number of putts and GIRs are the best indication of what my final score is.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

To me, how many drives I put in a fairway per round does not correlate to my final score very well.   I may have a good tee shot day without the corresponding final score and vice versa.   To me, number of putts and GIRs are the best indication of what my final score is.

I guess it kind of depends how far down the fairway. If I can make it onto the fairway off the tee on a par 4, but I have 200 yards to go, it's still hard. If I have 120 or less, it's within reason for me to hit the green. 150 is like an up and down situation for me at best.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I second this. You miss a fairway, but not by much, you can still make GIR. GIR is a much better indicator of scoring than fairways hit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was right here with you guys until about a year ago when i decided to make changes... Until that point i had always thought that the way to be good was to hit the ball 400yds off the tee and thats how you have good rounds, well it doesnt matter how far you hit the ball if you cant hit it straight.  So i focused on removing that deadly slice that continued to get me into trouble off the tee, which in turn made me have to play catch up, which led to terrible rounds and a lot of headaches. So i did just that, i spent a lot of time on google and on the range removing the bad parts of my swing.  I took almost 80 yds off my drive distance but im hitting 85-90% fairways now.  And i went from a 19 to 12. So this is my philosophy and im sticking to it: "Put your Tee Shot in the fairway and the rest of the game is a lot more simple and a lot less stressful"

I'm with this guy... My tee shot was very erratic at first. To the point where it was hurting my score way more than a bad putting day does. The way I saw it, if it takes me 4 to five strokes to even get to the green (with penalties and all), then good putting wouldn't help much more. So my emphasis has been getting my tee shot in the fairway, on the green in two as much as possible... Then even if I 3 putt, I still walk away with a bogey, which is basically a par for me at this stage of development.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

My problem was that most of my tee shots WERE hitting the fairway.... the one opposite me to the right!

Just calming down and almost punching the ball down the fairway instead of trying to destroy it off the tee helped calm down the slice (sometimes), saving me time and penalty strokes.

Russ B.

I vote for this as well. And I think "fairways" can be a little vague for scoring purposes - like those situations where you didn't hit many fairways but scored well.  If it misses by a few yards in manageable rough - that is basically like it hit the fairway.  Keeping it out of trouble is the important part.

I'd be interested to hear from the bogey gallery which tees you play from.  So many courses set it up different ways, so I'll make up a set.  Which one would be you:

Red : Ladies Tees - 5300 yards

White : Mens Tees - 6000 yards

Blue : Chanpionship Tees - 6600 yards

Black : The Tips - 7000 yards

Whites or blues, depending on who I'm playing with (don't want to be THAT GUY walking up to the whites while everyone's at the blues). But probably the whites to be honest.

Russ B.

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!