IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note:Β This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Have you tried LSW?

I don't know what that is, actually.

Click on the word LSW , I put a link to it.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Click on the word [URL=http://lowestscorewins.com/]LSW[/URL], I put a link to it.

Thank you, I'm ordering it right now.

Quote:

Click on the word LSW, I put a link to it.

Thank you, I'm ordering it right now.

I ordered one today. Β  We can compare notes on it in this thread. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I can't find it on Amazon.

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy

Dang I was hoping to find it used.

I doubt anyone is selling their copy. I know I'm not. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

LSW is great, but for breaking 90, the books I listed and tips should allow you to break 90. The books I listed are very practical and an extremely easy read with great results.

My HI is only 26 rn but I have been trending downward every chance I get. Before this summer my lowest score was a 98, but once school let out (I'm a teacher) I was able to start playing twice a week and my last 4 scores are 101-91-102-91. I don't consider myself a "Bogey Golfer" yet but I feel like with two 91's in two weeks I'm on the verge of breaking 90 so I hope you guys don't mind me lurking in this thread.

PJ

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17*Β 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter:Β Ping Prime Tyne 4

My HI is only 26 rn but I have been trending downward every chance I get. Before this summer my lowest score was a 98, but once school let out (I'm a teacher) I was able to start playing twice a week and my last 4 scores are 101-91-102-91. I don't consider myself a "Bogey Golfer" yet but I feel like with two 91's in two weeks I'm on the verge of breaking 90 so I hope you guys don't mind me lurking in this thread.

PJ

Anyone can post on this thread.Β  Looks like you are making fast progress.Β  Feel free to share what's working for you.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Anyone can post on this thread.Β  Looks like you are making fast progress.Β  Feel free to share what's working for you.

Well if you'd like to know...

I'm a teacher who just completed a Master's degree while still doing my part to take care of a 1 year old. I was able to get 30 minute sessions in at the range and occasional 9 hole rounds throughout the year but since summer break started I've been able to play more. Playing more is a huge advantage in terms of improving. More tangible things that led to improvement:

-Posting a MySwing Thread. I'm not as religious about updating it as other guys, but the little bit of advice I got went a big way. Instead of searching for GD tips online I just try to keep Keys 1 and 2 (and a little bit of 3 now) on my mind for swing thoughts. That's it.

-Zen Golf by Joseph Parent is a great book for the mental game. I recommended it to a single digit friend of mine and he says its the best thing he's ever read. PRE SHOT ROUTINE is no joke.

-Committing to a short game philosophy. I've read tons and tons about the 1 club vs Pelz Clock approach but I decided to just experiment with each one instead of read myself to death and found that I feel way more confident with less tools. I make my 54* wedge my go to 50 yds and in, excluding obvious bump and run situations. It helps my confidence greatly to not be second guessing which club I should have taken. I'd rather rely on my hand eye coordination in terms of flying the ball to the hole and expecting minimal roll.

I think it's more about the pressure we all put ourselves under, I usually get a really good score on the first 9 & a terrible one on the back or vice versa, I think it's about remaining calm throughout the game. I went up the course with my neighbour who plays in single figures, but like he said to me, I'm making it harder for myself, instead of just tapping it close with a 8 on your 3rd shot, I picked up a 60 wedge to look good lol put it to far wide of the hole & take two putts lol result bogey golfer, my advice is play safe & don't show off haha

Well if you'd like to know...

I'm a teacher who just completed a Master's degree while still doing my part to take care of a 1 year old. I was able to get 30 minute sessions in at the range and occasional 9 hole rounds throughout the year but since summer break started I've been able to play more. Playing more is a huge advantage in terms of improving. More tangible things that led to improvement:

-Zen Golf by Joseph Parent is a great book for the mental game. I recommended it to a single digit friend of mine and he says its the best thing he's ever read. PRE SHOT ROUTINE is no joke.

-Committing to a short game philosophy. I've read tons and tons about the 1 club vs Pelz Clock approach but I decided to just experiment with each one instead of read myself to death and found that I feel way more confident with less tools. I make my 54* wedge my go to 50 yds and in, excluding obvious bump and run situations. It helps my confidence greatly to not be second guessing which club I should have taken. I'd rather rely on my hand eye coordination in terms of flying the ball to the hole and expecting minimal roll.

I have found the same improvement happens by playing more. It allows for getting a rhythm down and committing it to muscle memory. The central nervous system then takes over the swing and you no longer have to think about it.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I just ordered a copy on your suggestion.

This is the first I have a read about a 1 club short game philosophy, but I have been migrating to something like this as of late. I may commit to this completely going forward and see how it works. Many of my short game errors come from trying shots with the wrong club like you mentioned.

- Mark

I have found the same improvement happens by playing more. It allows for getting a rhythm down and committing it to muscle memory. The central nervous system then takes over the swing and you no longer have to think about it.Β  Thanks for the book suggestion, I just ordered a copy on your suggestion.Β  This is the first I have a read about a 1 club short game philosophy, but I have been migrating to something like this as of late. I may commit to this completely going forward and see how it works. Many of my short game errors come from trying shots with the wrong club like you mentioned.

I think it's Stan Utley plays most short game shots with a 58 degree wedge. I don't play on greens as firm as the pros so 54 works for me. It might not always be the correct play but if I THINK it is, then I'll be more likely to hit a good shot. If I use the Pelz method, I'll be second guessing whether I should be hitting an 8 or 9 iron. Having one predominant club eliminates that doubt.

Finally did it. Kind of ugly and limpingly, but still my first 89 and my (initial) golf quest completed. On the good side 9 holes parred including all 4 par-5s (despite one topped 2nd), 7 fairways, 7 greens, 9 GoFir, 27% scrambling, 4 one-putts, shot 41 on the front 9. On the ugly side 3 lost tee shots, one 4-putt (on a GIR no less :censored: ), one triple, one quadruple, and multiple awful pitches that fell short of green.

Sure it was an easy course, but that was my goal and I did it! Now I can just enjoy the game for a bit.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Finally did it. Kind of ugly and limpingly, but still my first 89 and my (initial) golf quest completed. On the good side 9 holes parred including all 4 par-5s (despite one topped 2nd), 7 fairways, 7 greens, 9 GoFir, 27% scrambling, 4 one-putts, shot 41 on the front 9. On the ugly side 3 lost tee shots, one 4-putt (on a GIR no less :censored: ), one triple, one quadruple, and multiple awful pitches that fell short of green. Sure it was an easy course, but that was my goal and I did it! Now I can just enjoy the game for a bit.

Congrats on the big milestone.

- Mark

Note:Β This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!