IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thought I finally had a handle on breaking 90 after a couple of solid rounds in the 80's. Played in a local tournament this weekend and shot 87 on day one. Unfortunately Sunday was a different story, started of well for 3 holes and parred the par 5's and then my trusted 3w decided it didn't want to play. Took 3 off the tee on a par 4 resulting in a 9 and just played terrible then on, adding a couple of snowmen on par 4's and finishing up with 99 !! This game can be so frustrating....back to the drawing board, have a seniors 1 day tournament on Thursday so better get out and try and get it back under control.

Bogey golfers should never trust their 3W ... ;-) You are just going through two steps forward and one step backward routine.   Frequency of scoring below 90 will increase.

Today, I found something I have common with Tiger.   At times, my head moves up during swing by up to 2 inches.   Perhaps, this is leading two my dreaded errant shots?   I am adding it to my drill list.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, I found something I have common with Tiger.   At times, my head moves up during swing by up to 2 inches.   Perhaps, this is leading two my dreaded errant shots?   I am adding it to my drill list.

Key 1, steady head. Functionally steady, anyway.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I work on one thing and another thing breaks.   I can't beet ( ;-) ) this trend.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I work on one thing and another thing breaks.   I can't beet () this trend.

Yeah, that's golf, at least we've accepted that. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Congrats on the big milestone.

Thanks. It was an interesting round typified by three holes. Nice drive down the long straight par-5, topped second goes ~ 100 yards, third shot is blind off a pretty ssteep uphill lie from 190 - hits the green. Short par-3 hit the green and the lag putt makes it about 60% of the way to the hole on way to a 4-putt. Final hole thin a drive to 115 left, club up to allow for elevated green, fly green to rough, chip downhill to 8 feet and make the par to save the sub-90 round. Lots of up and downs. Never made that many pars before. It's what saved me on the sloppy holes.

Next goal (long term) is to score 80's consistently like you now. I will give my putter and wedges some time to catch up before I lay big expectations on them, though.

Kevin

Trending better - pitching, iron, driver

Status quo - putting, hybrid, 3W, overall game

Trending worse - bunker, chipping

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just shot an 84 tonight for my best round of the summer so far. I regripped my putter with a giant fatso grip and it worked wonders. I did miss two 3 foot birdie opportunities but I made a ton of other hard shots that kind of made up for it.

Bogey golfers should never trust their 3W ...      You are just going through two steps forward and one step backward routine.   Frequency of scoring below 90 will increase.

Went back out again for some practice yesterday. 3w had been more reliable off the tee for me than driver and I hit it about 230-240 so played a few balls off the tee to work on it and other clubs.  Driver was my best ally though this time. Hit fade, hit draw, was going really well, the fade was very reliable but I struggle to control the amount of draw. The 3w and hybrid have been my go to clubs when I need to hit a draw until the 3w went away on the weekend. The hybrid was solid, as were the irons. Hit a decent group of 4 shots from 200 out with 4 iron and my other irons were good too.  I think I just lost my focus and nervous tension got me on the 2nd day.  When I lose my focus I get very quick and it leads to way too much backswing which messes up my whole swing.  I was very uncomfortable over the ball and the heat and humidity was really bad.  I do struggle a little with tournament play but like to do it as I think that is the only way to learn to deal with it. At least this time I was able to analyze what went wrong afterwards, hopefully next time I can deal with it and correct it when it happens..

A year ago a bad score for me was 105, yesterday I shot a 92 and felt it was a fairly poor round. That's progress I suppose. 49 on the front closing with 4 straight doubles and pulling a tee shot into the side of a house for OB and an angry homeowner. I still hit 2-3 horrendous drives each round that usually end up OB or hazard.

On the bright side, the back nine was a 43 with four pars and two doubles. My last five drives were 252, 274, 245, 235, and 255 all in the fairway or light rough. My focus on driving this year has really paid off with 30+ yards in distance and more accuracy.

Now, next challenge is to eliminate those 2-3 pull-hook drives each round that lead to big numbers. Is it a mental thing? I don't feel like I am doing anything different on those shots, but I can almost tell as I am standing over that ball that something doesn't feel right. Does anyone else feel this at times? What do you do? Back off and start the routine again?

- Mark

Well, I'm working on getting rid of my pulls. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Now, next challenge is to eliminate those 2-3 pull-hook drives each round that lead to big numbers. Is it a mental thing?

I have the same question.   I think it is a little bit of everything, mental, pre-shot routine, swing mechanic, imperfect lie, etc..

I am working on anti chicken wing & flip drills.   Flipping has improved and has improved my ball trajectory & distance.  Anti-chicken wing drill is helping my ball accuracy.   My biggest issue is, when I focus on one set of things, the neglected parts regress like my bunker game (tragically, I can't get rid of 50+ (my estimate) bunkers at my home course.   The course management team just won't do it :-) ).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Same story again. 93 at my home course with 2 quads and a triple . :mad: Great ball striking except on the two blow-up holes GIR or nGIR on 15 of 18.

My drives are steadily improving, 230 average distance with 276 long. Two pull-hooks into the water at about 130 yds bring the average down.

Eliminate the blow-up holes / mental lapses and I'm mid-80's every time, but I had more fun playing today than I have in a long time.

- Mark

Played a one day senior tournament Thursday. Lousy weather, lots of rain and a bit windy but worst hole was a 7 on par 4 and ended up with 40 on front and 47 on back for an 87. My index dropped to 13 as well so things are looking up. I really need to work on my short game if I want to keep below 90.

Now, next challenge is to eliminate those 2-3 pull-hook drives each round that lead to big numbers. Is it a mental thing? I don't feel like I am doing anything different on those shots, but I can almost tell as I am standing over that ball that something doesn't feel right. Does anyone else feel this at times? What do you do? Back off and start the routine again?

I definitely feel it at times.  Just have those shots where I can't get comfortable over the ball and I know the outcome isn't going to be good.  Most of the time I'm right.  I'm trying to get better about backing off and starting over instead of riding it out and thinking "I'll fix it on the downswing!". :-\

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

How quickly it all disappears! Had three very good rounds in a row, 89, 86, & 89. Went out Saturday, feeling good, parred 3 out of the first 4 and then you guessed it, everything completely fell apart. I couldn't come off the tee to save my life and my wedges were absolutely horrible and I stumbled to a 101. I will never figure this game out :-\
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Shot 89 yesterday *86 with esc* with 2 quad bogeys in a row then a double bogey to follow up. Every one of those scores was due to trying too hard to save the hole after screwing up my tee shot. Although the drive I had with the double was a good drive that just had the bad luck to roll out right behind a tree. So I was 12 over on the front with 10 of those being from 3 holes in a row, rofl. Also had 4 3 putts that from barely lip outs.Overall it was actually a good driving day, which directly led to scoring well *for me*. If I eliminate the one bad driver hit I had, my average drive for the day was 270. It really seems that switching from the BioCell+ to the G25 was a good move. If I can keep a handle on my driver and remember not to try hero shots or too hard to save a hole I think I'll keep trending down more.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Shot 89 yesterday *86 with esc* with 2 quad bogeys in a row then a double bogey to follow up. Every one of those scores was due to trying too hard to save the hole after screwing up my tee shot. Although the drive I had with the double was a good drive that just had the bad luck to roll out right behind a tree. So I was 12 over on the front with 10 of those being from 3 holes in a row, rofl. Also had 4 3 putts that from barely lip outs.Overall it was actually a good driving day, which directly led to scoring well *for me*. If I eliminate the one bad driver hit I had, my average drive for the day was 270. It really seems that switching from the BioCell+ to the G25 was a good move. If I can keep a handle on my driver and remember not to try hero shots or too hard to save a hole I think I'll keep trending down more.

I could've written exactly this about my last round. 2 quads and a triple in a 4-hole stretch. Same thing, trying to "save" a hole by taking high-risk shots. Dumb. 270 yard drives will get you shooting good scores in no time. Nice. Without going OT too far, why'd you switch from the the BioCell? I switched to the BioCell last year and it has felt like a struggle ever since. Been getting in a bit of a groove lately, but still not totally comfortable with it.

- Mark

Played bogey through 12 holes, and was on track to perhaps break 90 ... then I started "thinking" and the wheels simply came off a couple of holes ... ended with a stinking 97 ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 1037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!