IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, Jesus. Did I say "felt like a breakthrough"?

Today I played the first four holes in par figures. After 13 I was still four under my handicap. Then I dropped twelve (count them, twelve) shots in the last five holes. Total, complete, inexplicable meltdown.

It's something to do with losing focus and allowing a bad shot to influence how I play the next one. Before I know where I am, I've lost my tempo and start to hack at it. If I had two more IQ points I'd be almost as intelligent as a potted plant.

It's hard to keep focus for entire 18 holes.  Our swings are not consistent to begin with.  Any added distraction or losing focus can lead to a series of bad holes. Once I did 36 on front nine followed by a 46.  After 11th hole, I was sure of breaking 80.  Instead, I could not even break 90 that day.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard to keep focus for entire 18 holes.  Our swings are not consistent to begin with.  Any added distraction or losing focus can lead to a series of bad holes. Once I did 36 on front nine followed by a 46.  After 11th hole, I was sure of breaking 80.  Instead, I could not even break 90 that day.

wait... isn't 36 + 46 = 82?

I've checked it twice on my calculator :smartass:

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

wait... isn't 36 + 46 = 82?

I've checked it twice on my calculator

I meant to say 36 + 56 = 92.  I am getting old, you know.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So I had probably my best round yet last night, breaking 90 (with 89) for the third time in the last 6 rounds. Front nine 45 2xpar, 6xbogey, 1xtriple bogey (2x1 putt, 6x2 putt, 2x3 putt) Back nine 44 1xbirdie, 1xpar, 5xbogey, 1xdouble bogey, 1xtriple bogey (17 putts, 2x1 putt, 6x2 putt, 1x3 putt) I've only just started to "listen" to what the course is telling me and to manage myself around accordingly! I've woken up to trying to hit distances where I'm coming in to greens using a full club, so for example I'm now trying to lay up where possible at distances of 100 yards (52 degree wedge) and 140 yards (pw) so I don't have to choke down on clubs etc and since doing that my chances of making pars and bogeys have sky rocketed! :) Although putting let me down last night. In the previous two rounds I had no three putts and total putts of 28 and 29, but last night I had three 3 putts and just struggled to read the greens. I guess though things like that come and go and it just comes down to damage limitation and making your opportunities when presented (as I missed several short one putts to make par). All in all god I live this game :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

I meant to say 36 + 56 = 92.  I am getting old, you know.

ahh... ouch that is a brutal difference...

funny how golf has this equalizing effect during the course of a round.

I was playing horribly the front nine the other day, looked like I was going to shoot about 110. Turned it around on the back nine with several pars, a birdie and no blow up holes... what can you do at this stage? lol

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

88 today!!  Damn I am feeling like I have turned a corner in the last 60 days ... I learn how not too look up, I think I can be in the 80's a lot!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Being a bogey golfer sucks when you play on a super nice course and there are Condos and Expensive homes everywhere so you are afraid to open up and let loose on almost all of your shots in fear of hitting a window or car or worse......I played on a beautiful course in montana here about a week ago. I was able to shoot a 91 on a 72 course... Played great on low pressure (no homes, wider fairways, par3s) but the long narrow house lined ones.....thank goodness for a straight/fade 5 iron:)

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

88 today!!  Damn I am feeling like I have turned a corner in the last 60 days ... I learn how not too look up, I think I can be in the 80's a lot!

Congratulations!!     I hope you truly are on your way!!

BTW, If you really do learn how to not look up, woud you please pass that bit of info along??    I know I could sure use it!!

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Nice!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Pretty soon, you'll bypass this thread.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

89 yesterday, 88 today. Played better yesterday, overall, but left at least five shots on the greens, having missed that many putts from less than four feet. Increasingly feel that I am very close to playing some decent golf, but can't yet put a round together in which driving, iron play and scrambling is all half-decent. But it's clear from the stas I'm keeping that my major problem is around the greens, I'm not getting up and down nearly well enough. Nothing for that but practice, I'm afraid.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

89 yesterday, 88 today. Played better yesterday, overall, but left at least five shots on the greens, having missed that many putts from less than four feet. Increasingly feel that I am very close to playing some decent golf, but can't yet put a round together in which driving, iron play and scrambling is all half-decent. But it's clear from the stas I'm keeping that my major problem is around the greens, I'm not getting up and down nearly well enough. Nothing for that but practice, I'm afraid.

Same here. 95 and 88 were my last two rounds. The tee box is killing me and just about everything is spotty at best it seems with the exception of my iron play. Due to the fact that I'm starting most holes behind the 8 ball. I've lost a lot of confidence since my 83. Mainly due to my driving once again going into the gutter. It seems like I get one good round a year out of my driver and it tends to be the lowest of my season. As soon as I can I'm going to my pro to see about a driving only lesson. If I drive the ball well I score low. Next time I go out its 3 wood all the way around. I am interested to see what the scoring is like if I leave the driver in the bag. I need a break from it. I'm starting to get those flashes of a very satisfying act of snapping the G. D. thing over my knee. (venting)

...... The tee box is killing me and just about everything is spotty at best........

Due to the fact that I'm starting most holes behind the 8 ball. I've lost a lot of confidence since my 83. Mainly due to my driving once again going into the gutter........

Since my 82, I have been struggling a bunch myself and the driver seems to be at the heart of my issues as well.   Today I had a miserable 98 and had I not been in a skins game, I would've left the course after 9.   I was spraying it all over the course with the big dog.   After the round, I spent a little time on the range and have decided I need to work on my backswing as it seems to lack consistency.   Once I began to focus on it, things seemed to line out a little, so I have decided I am going to concentrate on that for a bit and see if I can get it ironed out.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Since my 82, I have been struggling a bunch myself and the driver seems to be at the heart of my issues as well.   Today I had a miserable 98 and had I not been in a skins game, I would've left the course after 9.   I was spraying it all over the course with the big dog.   After the round, I spent a little time on the range and have decided I need to work on my backswing as it seems to lack consistency.   Once I began to focus on it, things seemed to line out a little, so I have decided I am going to concentrate on that for a bit and see if I can get it ironed out.

I shot my best round about a month back at Sand Hollow Golf Club in Hurricane, UT of an 82 and I didn't know the course so I decided not to use the driver plus I was smoking my 3W. I had looked at the holes overview on Google Earth. The course was 64 and some change long so I figured, if I can play like that without my driver, why do I need it in my bag? Especially when I spray it every which way. Since then, I have shot a 107, 94, 89, 98,  and 90, haha.

------

On a seperate note, I've started practicing twice a week. My short game, is so much better. I notice because in my past few rounds my doubles and triples have decreased dramatically. I'm still working on technique and I started trying the "chipping ratio" method and that works great. I have a huge problem with ball position with my long irons. I can't seem to find the right spot so I'm working on that as well as my full swing with mid irons.

I REALLY need to work on my 4-6 foot putts because I have missed so many short putts lately. It's frustrating. It's not that my putting stroke is bad, it's my green reading skills. I am so bad at reading greens.

Aside from going to an AIMPOINT seminar, any pointers on how I can improve my green reading skills without just playingt he course?

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Drive distance is the only reason I am shooting in the high 80s and occasional low 90s and a couple mid-80's. I would have said that my drive is my strong point until I saw myself on the course in my vLog. :-X

For many of us 16-ish handicappers (what I have read on this site, anyway), the drive is the crux of our game. Without a decent drive my game also goes to pot. The lower handicappers are able to hit the longer irons more consistently (they are able to hit everything better), and that is why their scores are so low compared to ours.

Also read some of the responses in a thread I started a few months ago: http://thesandtrap.com/t/73620/how-do-you-get-into-the-low-80s-from-roughly-the-high-80s-and-low-90s

The main thing is that you are not alone.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played with out my driver but I had a blow up hole +4. kinda screwed up the hole deal. Omitting that hole I was 3 over through 9. #16, I hate it, its not a difficult hole but its in my head. Might be the same issue with my driver. Who knows. #16 366 par 4, should be an easy one, but its got my number.

Shot a 96 yesterday ... but went back today and worked on keeping head still, weight forward, and staying connected (turning hips) and shot an 86!  the lowest this year ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!