IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most of my problems are of this sort, indeed.

The only thing I can think of is that you are afraid of taking a divot out of a nice pristine manicured lawn.

At least, that's how I feel, sometimes, I call it "lawndivotitis" or "diviphobia". :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing I can think of is that you are afraid of taking a divot out of a nice pristine manicured lawn.

At least, that's how I feel, sometimes, I call it "lawndivotitis" or "diviphobia".

Yes, I get that sometimes too.  Love the terminology, the grass was so nice, I am used to hitting off the hardpan stuff near the cart path.  In this instance I had a perfect storm of unlikely events:

• I had parred the first two holes (rare)
  • I was in the fairway (rare)
  • I was within reach of a Par 5 (even more rare)

Needless to say I was a little jacked for the shot and tensed up and pulled it dead left into a mansion, thankfully I didn't hear any glass shatter...

- Mark

I might just need to get one of those clubs.  Yesterday I was about 190 out on a reachable Par 5, pulled my 3i into a row of houses from a perfect fairway lie.  I can hit that 3i all day from the rough, but that fairway lie is a problem.

A lot of people find it easier to hit from the rough because the ball is sitting up. This is especially true if they flip.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A lot of people find it easier to hit from the rough because the ball is sitting up. This is especially true if they flip.

Definitely not me, rough seems to take a big chunk of distance off my clubs.  In fact, I usually lose close to an entire club.  I think I'm also not particularly great at adjusting my grip or stance to account for the fluffed up ball.  I tend to see a lot of grass stains high up on the club face after I hit out of rough.

Definitely not me, rough seems to take a big chunk of distance off my clubs.  In fact, I usually lose close to an entire club.  I think I'm also not particularly great at adjusting my grip or stance to account for the fluffed up ball.  I tend to see a lot of grass stains high up on the club face after I hit out of rough.

Sometimes, I get under the ball from this position. It's like teeing up an inch above.

One way I can adjust to this is to make my full practice swings with a tee. I try to nick the tee. This has worked the last couple times.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Been playing fairly well (for me) lately, mostly mid to high 80's.   I even shot an 86 at a course I had never played before.    Granted, I have a long way to go but this has been the most consistent I have been for a while, if ever.   Ironically, what has been the biggest help has nothing to do with swing mechanics.   It has been all mental.   I started using LSW as a strategy guide and then focusing only on the target I want to hit with each shot.   In fact, I have no swing thoughts at all before or during the shot.   I just think about the target itself.   While this hasn't stopped me from making a few bad shots, it has definitely improved the quality of my shots overall and for sure stopped me from trying analyze myself mid-swing and it has also stopped me from lingering on a bad shot as now, I am focusing on what my strategy is for the next one almost immediately.    Maybe this is nothing new to everyone else.  But anybody else is like I was and has the habit of thinking about your swing while trying to play, you might give this a try.   It has really been helping me.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Been playing fairly well (for me) lately, mostly mid to high 80's.   I even shot an 86 at a course I had never played before.    Granted, I have a long way to go but this has been the most consistent I have been for a while, if ever.   Ironically, what has been the biggest help has nothing to do with swing mechanics.   It has been all mental.   I started using LSW as a strategy guide and then focusing only on the target I want to hit with each shot.   In fact, I have no swing thoughts at all before or during the shot.   I just think about the target itself.   While this hasn't stopped me from making a few bad shots, it has definitely improved the quality of my shots overall and for sure stopped me from trying analyze myself mid-swing and it has also stopped me from lingering on a bad shot as now, I am focusing on what my strategy is for the next one almost immediately.    Maybe this is nothing new to everyone else.  But anybody else is like I was and has the habit of thinking about your swing while trying to play, you might give this a try.   It has really been helping me.

I think I see what you are talking about. If you are mentally strong, you tend to hit your shots with more confidence and usually get a playable forward moving ball.

The way I am seeing the strategy part of the LSW is understanding the consequences of your shots. Part of this is knowing your shot dispersion, from this you can determine the area with the highest probability of success on the following shot. You can't really expect to outperform your shot making ability, so your desired shot should be limited to your current ball striking ability. Improving your swing mechanics and ball striking is the only real way that you can alter your strategy with any real expectations for success.

Good swing mechanics is kind of the foundation from which you can build a good strategy.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I think I see what you are talking about. If you are mentally strong, you tend to hit your shots with more confidence and usually get a playable forward moving ball.

The way I am seeing the strategy part of the LSW is understanding the consequences of your shots. Part of this is knowing your shot dispersion, from this you can determine the area with the highest probability of success on the following shot. You can't really expect to outperform your shot making ability, so your desired shot should be limited to your current ball striking ability. Improving your swing mechanics and ball striking is the only real way that you can alter your strategy with any real expectations for success.

Good swing mechanics is kind of the foundation from which you can build a good strategy.

Don't get me wrong, I still work on swing mechanics.   I just do it on the range.   I have struggled with trying to analyze my swing while on the course and am certain that has had a profoundly negative affect on my scores.   Now, I am focusing on the shot at hand, not on the mechanics of making that shot and not only has my score improved, but my accuracy seems to be better too.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Don't get me wrong, I still work on swing mechanics.   I just do it on the range.   I have struggled with trying to analyze my swing while on the course and am certain that has had a profoundly negative affect on my scores.   Now, I am focusing on the shot at hand, not on the mechanics of making that shot and not only has my score improved, but my accuracy seems to be better too.

Yeah, I guess we're a bit different. I might think too mechanically for my own good.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I might think too mechanically for my own good.

Yes, you do, and I hope you don't take that the wrong way (but I don't think you will). There's a time when that's great and a time when you need to just turn it off.

Work on your mechanics off the course. When you're on the course, play golf. I make adjustments on the course, just like anybody else, but I'm not focusing on the mechanics of what I'm doing. I make minor tweaks to get the ball in the hole in less strokes. If I'm over-drawing everything, I'll aim a bit more to the right, or if I'm pitching everything a little long, I'll switch to my lob wedge. When I'm making poor contact, I'll shorten my swing. Stuff like that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yes, you do, and I hope you don't take that the wrong way (but I don't think you will). There's a time when that's great and a time when you need to just turn it off.

Work on your mechanics off the course. When you're on the course, play golf. I make adjustments on the course, just like anybody else, but I'm not focusing on the mechanics of what I'm doing. I make minor tweaks to get the ball in the hole in less strokes. If I'm over-drawing everything, I'll aim a bit more to the right, or if I'm pitching everything a little long, I'll switch to my lob wedge. When I'm making poor contact, I'll shorten my swing. Stuff like that.

So true, but I didn't had a stable swing long enough to "get comfortable" with just swinging. Now, that my swing is back to my "before 2 week of no golf" vacation performance, I'm committing it to muscle memory so that I will be able to "play golf" so to speak.

No doubt, Mike will change something in a few weeks anyway. :whistle:

At some point, I am hoping to have a stable enough swing that I don't need to go through every checkpoint on every shot. Probably going to take some time, though.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Think I stumbled onto the proper way to hit irons finally.  I kept shifting various degrees of weight onto my left leg at address and it was making me draw the ball.  I thought this was the right way to do it since I read it on here (I think) and maybe elsewhere but it was causing nothing but problems for me most of the time.  When I had a more neutral stance the annoying draw went away.  Weight shifted onto my back foot caused me to fade the ball I think.

I was also overswinging like crazy and didn't realize it.  I cut my backswing what felt like in half and leaned over the ball a bit more and hit nice high iron shots mostly where I was aiming and without losing any distance.  Looking forward to playing tomorrow possibly and testing this out some more.

I am apparently in free fall. My last four rounds are 97, 98, 106 & 102 and it all comes down to iron play. I don't get into much trouble with my driver but I can't tell you how many doubles and triples I've hit into from the fairway over the last month. I hit fat, I hit thin, I push my mid irons and pull my high irons & wedges. Nothing at all seems to make a difference and it's extremely frustrating but you know what? I'll be out there again Saturday morning, convinced that I can fix it............... I hate this game. ;-)
my get up and go musta got up and went..

I am apparently in free fall. My last four rounds are 97, 98, 106 & 102 and it all comes down to iron play. I don't get into much trouble with my driver but I can't tell you how many doubles and triples I've hit into from the fairway over the last month. I hit fat, I hit thin, I push my mid irons and pull my high irons & wedges. Nothing at all seems to make a difference and it's extremely frustrating but you know what? I'll be out there again Saturday morning, convinced that I can fix it............... I hate this game. ;-)

I've just adjusted my setup to thin everything, lucky it goes straight. Unfortunate that it works its way into pitch and chips. :-(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've just adjusted my setup to thin everything, lucky it goes straight. Unfortunate that it works its way into pitch and chips. :-(

Nothing like being just off the green only to skull the ball 30 yds past. Lol

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Nothing like being just off the green only to skull the ball 30 yds past. Lol

Except for 15 yards. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I turn 38 tomorrow, started playing last year, does that count as starting late in life?

I started 6 weeks ago and will turn 64 next month.  Nothing like getting a head start playing golf. ;-)

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!