IGNORED

How do you master the mental game?

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me, its not a technique. Its just situaional observation and concentration. Thinking your way though a hole takes your mind off what your swing is doing. I walk nearly every time i play, so while I'm doing that I'm thinking about my next shot. Where is the pin? Can i attack from where i put that ball? Or do i need play fat part of the green. If i thinking of making an aggressive play and put the ball in the worst possible spot, can i recover from it? If i dont think i can, i play away from that area and just try to secure par.  Those are the things going through my head. Of course, its also situational. If I'm playing  a tournament and i need a birdie, I'm going hunting. Danger be damned.

My mental game is pretty easy. It took a while to learn, but I persevered, and finally found my inner, mental toughness. 

It goes like this. After looking at what's in front of me, where I need to be for my next shot, I pull the club I think will do the job needed. 

Once I get to my ball, and it's my turn to hit, I go into my pre-shot routine, and hit the ball. My pre-shot routine ends sometime after I hit the ball, and before I start moving to my next shot. Yes, this means that my mental game only last a few seconds during the shot I need to hit. I am only in my mental golf game, at the most 20-30 minutes during a 18 hole round. I never really checked the time, so it might even be less for all I know. I started doing this a while back, as my own "KISS" style of golf.

In between my pre-shot routines, the rest of my mental stuff is just taking in the sights, what's infront of me, and enjoying being out on the course. I am a more patient, golfer than I am a mental one,  I think. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My mental game is pretty easy. It took a while to learn, but I persevered, and finally found my inner, mental toughness. 

It goes like this. After looking at what's in front of me, where I need to be for my next shot, I pull the club I think will do the job needed. 

Once I get to my ball, and it's my turn to hit, I go into my pre-shot routine, and hit the ball. My pre-shot routine ends sometime after I hit the ball, and before I start moving to my next shot. Yes, this means that my mental game only last a few seconds during the shot I need to hit. I am only in my mental golf game, at the most 20-30 minutes during a 18 hole round. I never really checked the time, so it might even be less for all I know. I started doing this a while back, as my own "KISS" style of golf.

In between my pre-shot routines, the rest of my mental stuff is just taking in the sights, what's infront of me, and enjoying being out on the course. I am a more patient, golfer than I am a mental one,  I think. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't have an answer for the OP, but one thing that surprised me about golf was how mentally draining it can be, and especially when you play well. You are mentally present in every single shot.  

On 1/16/2017 at 1:51 PM, jandrewsgolf said:

Share your tips and technique please! I am looking to improve.

Know the actual expectations for your level of play. Then apply it as a reason why your game is what it is. True improvement in golf doesn't come from the mental game, but smart practice. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!