IGNORED

Is a consistent putting rhythm possible, from 2 ft to 50 ft?

XVGolf
Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always try hard to improve my putting game.

Recently I received an advice on developing a consistent putting rhythm for different distances. It means you use the same amount of time to complete a putting stroke, no matter it's a 2 footer, or a 50 ft lengthy one.

On a longer putt, I often have a longer backstroke, thus it takes a longer time back to impact. The advice suggests me to complete a putting stroke with a relatively same time duration, regardless the length of your backstroke/upswing.

I am looking for some opinions on this topic, is it a valid point?

I did some googling on Jordan Spieth putting rhythm and got this:

Thanks!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, XVGolf said:

On a longer putt, I often have a longer backstroke, thus it takes a longer time back to impact. The advice suggests me to complete a putting stroke with a relatively same time duration, regardless the length of your backstroke/upswing.

Yes, that's the advice, and I would give the same advice.

When you Google search for "pendulum period" you get this:

The period of swing of a simple gravity pendulum depends on its length, the local strength of gravity, and to a small extent on the maximum angle that the pendulum swings away from vertical, θ0, called the amplitude. It is independent of the mass of the bob.

Note that it doesn't matter much how far the pendulum swings from vertical.

If my backstroke is 0.5 seconds for a 4-foot putt, it's something like 0.55 seconds for a 30-footer.

How? How does it move farther back in about the same amount of time?

It moves back faster. Thus, it also moves through faster… which is why the ball goes farther.

I'm not sure about the numbers in that chart. SAM PuttLab usually likes to see something like a 2:1 ratio for backswing and downswing. Not 9:1.

On that 1.74 second putt I counted only 22 frames of video, so…?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That consistent swing tempo is something I worked on and is easy for me to do.  I'm just "hearing" in my mind 1 2 3, 1 2 3. My swing starts on the first "1", my back swing ends of the 1st "3" and I make contact on the second "1".  It takes me two counts to get to the top of my backswing and one count to get back to the ball (2 to 1). 

In addition to creating a constant tempo, hearing the 1 2 3, 1 2 3 in my mind has a positive affect on my focus by clearing my mind.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

I recommend a metronome (get a free iPhone app) for many golfers to practice their putting.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agreed - my putting noticeably improved when I used a metronome and really shortened my backstroke (see below for more details). Always go back to the metronome now and it's a real difference maker, particularly on the practice green just before a round.

_

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator
On 1/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, b101 said:

putting_5_1_17.png

Yeah, see there… SAM likes your backstroke to be about 600 to 780 ms and the downswing to be about 300 to about 390 ms. Roughly 2:1.

I don't believe those Jordan 0.9/0.08 numbers are at all close.

The huge differences in his bar graphs should be a dead giveaway that something is off. Even at 30 FPS he has more than enough frames to get more accurate insight than 0.9/0.08.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yeah, see there… SAM likes your backstroke to be about 600 to 780 ms and the downswing to be about 300 to about 390 ms. Roughly 2:1.

I don't believe those Jordan 0.9/0.08 numbers are at all close.

The surprising part for me was how many positive knock-on effects there were, such as improved strike and path. Honestly never thought tempo would affect that so much.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

They said during the Pro-Am that Jordan's ratio is like 1:1 ,vs the 2:1 that is typically encouraged.

That's highly unlikely, because the backswing goes from a stop, acceleration, deceleration, and a stop again. The downswing just goes from a stop to acceleration and sometimes just barely into the deceleration phase. It never decelerates long and it doesn't come to a stop until well after the ball is gone.

I honestly haven't looked at it much, so I could be wrong, but I'd bet on the TV folks being wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, XVGolf said:

The information here is quite interesting and meaningful. I need practice my putting with a consideration on the rhythm. The data I mentioned at the beginning seems revised.

I'm glad the guy revised the video, because the first one was garbage.

I stand by what I said above. You can have the same tempo/rhythm on longer putts.

My old heavy Ray Cook Nugget putter helps me regain a sense of rhythm and speed when I'm "off".  I tend to have a bit longer "follow-through" with a lighter putter and hit the ball well past the hole. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I read that the pga tour pro metronome average was 76.  The one I downloaded was great, easy to use.  I wasn't too far off from 76...it was cool to get the beats in you head and hit 5 footers and 12 footers on my Birdie Ball green.

The metronome smoothens out your stroke too.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

@XVGolf, you should participate in other discussions here.

Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!