IGNORED

Playing vs Range Time For a New Player

klineka
Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know its not the biggest sample size being only 1 round, but shot an 85 today, had 28% GIR (5/18) and 35 putts. Is that GIR % about normal for mid-handicapper? I did have three 3-putts, greens were very wet at the beginning with water spraying behind the ball as it was putted.

I think long irons 3,4,5,6 need the most work, I wasnt really close to getting on the green on anything 175+ but I did feel confident inside that distance and managed a few more ons from distance than I have gotten in the past. "Flighting" the ball with 8/9 irons helped alot.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say, if you're hesitant about taking lessons, buy one lesson, and ask the pro what he thinks is the one thing you should work on.   See if it clicks.   If it's a waste of time, you've only wasted one lesson.   But there's a chance it could change your golfing life.   In my opinion, too many people grind their gears endlessly by not biting the bullet and taking lessons.  So I would say, just try one and see if you want more after that. 

Edited by Marty2019

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Find a cheap muni course and go on days when it's quiet. If you hit a bad shot, think about what you could do better, then hit a mulligan. I didn't start getting substantially better until I started practicing 5+ times a month in real conditions. 

On February 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM, klineka said:

Hey everyone, pretty new member here, reading through all the great information on this site. I have been golfing for fun the past 4-5 years but never really practiced or worked on my swing specifically. This year I am wanting to get better and lower my scores (have been in the 85-95 range for the past few years) 

I had a 10 year old box set of clubs where some of the clubs had broken so I recently purchased a new iron set 4-PW, Nike covert x, a used Taylormade RBZ 3 wood, an Adams XTD 3 iron, and an off brand 56 wedge. Basically entirely new clubs except driver and putter. I rarely, less than once per round, hit driver. I typically used 3 or 4 iron previously for tee shots, now I will be giving the 3 wood a chance. 

I have been to the range 5+ times so far with the new clubs, and a par 3 course once so far. I know the distances roughly within 5 yds or so.

My main question is will it be worth my time to continue going to the range for practice with the new clubs, or am I better off playing as many actual rounds as I can to get used to the clubs and lower my score?

If you're serious about getting better you should probably see a professional for some guidance. Even if just help with fundamentals like grip alignment and posture. 

I think higher handicaps that are looking to get better should shoot for a thirds approach. Maybe a third range work, third short game and putting, and a third playing. Drink beer for the other 1%. 

• Upvote 1

I give baseball lessons as a primary job for 5 months a year. The one thing that I can observe is that regardless of my teaching and my instruction, those kids will get better. That's simply because they are actually putting in time to get better. 

I use the analogy that if someone who had never exercised in their life goes to the gym and lifts heavy objects with no descernable pattern or program, he or she is still going to see results. That is simply because when someone goes from doing nothing to doing something, there will be improvement. 

Long story short, do what you can afford/have time for. I go to the range 3-4 times a week and play 1-2 times a week. But I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to athleticism.  

Take two or three lessons from the same guy.

Spend a half hour on the range practicing the full swing.

Spend a half an hour putting and chipping.

Play from 200 yards out, practicing the game.

Do this until you can keep the tee shot in bounds. 

I think those that do that will find it's not as hard as it was.

Best wishes.

Wayne

21 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Take two or three lessons from the same guy.

Spend a half hour on the range practicing the full swing.

Spend a half an hour putting and chipping.

Play from 200 yards out, practicing the game.

Do this until you can keep the tee shot in bounds. 

I think those that do that will find it's not as hard as it was.

Best wishes.

How will you know you can keep the tee shot in if you always start from 200? 

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!