IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

I've been Playing Golf for: 14 years, but really got serious about it only last year (I've had just one lesson...10 years ago). Last year was the most golf I've ever played and managed to get out approx 16-18 times.
My current handicap index is: 9.1
My typical ball flight with my irons is: slight draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push/push-fade

Limitations: as some of you my know as posted in one of my other threads, I have an arthritic left shoulder which makes taking a full backswing both difficult & uncomfortable. HOWEVER, maybe it's simply bad technique and can possibly be improved upon. 

Videos: 

Not having really any free time in the course of my usual day to record this, I got up this morning early and recorded this at the gym. While I realize this isn't ideal hitting a whiffle ball off of a mat, hopefully, this will still give you guys a starting point so that my priority piece can be established.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

So many of these lately…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The good old wall drill. Something you can do at any time regardless of where you are almost. Which reminds me, I need to start working on that some more in preparation for the start of the season.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

will get to it!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3/03 - priority piece work: minimizing lateral weight shift in backswing. 

Wall drill (5 sets of 20); felt awkward first set, I was too far away from the wall. After that, it became more comfortable. I can definitely tell the difference already. I'll try to get in another 100 reps by the end of the day.

-Jonny

20 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

will get to it!

I do it in my office during conference calls!

One thing that has helped me it to start the rotation in the backswing with the shoulders first, instead of arms. If I let the arms lead, my hips can drift back a bit.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I do it in my office during conference calls!

One thing that has helped me it to start the rotation in the backswing with the shoulders first, instead of arms. If I let the arms lead, my hips can drift back a bit.

thanks, I'll keep that in mind - that will be a good mental cue for me

-Jonny

glad your making progress with the wall drill, that was my first thing to work on when I started with evolvr a few months ago and I still try to refresh with a few each day.  I would recommend you slow down a little when doing the drill, looks like you are going pretty quick.  Keep up the hard work!

• Upvote 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, Wanzo said:

glad your making progress with the wall drill, that was my first thing to work on when I started with evolvr a few months ago and I still try to refresh with a few each day.  I would recommend you slow down a little when doing the drill, looks like you are going pretty quick.  Keep up the hard work!

Thanks @Wanzo - it felt quick, but I wasn't sure how to go about it (which is exactly why I posted that...hoping for feedback). I will slow it down

-Jonny

my camera angle is a little off, but I feel like there is a lot less lateral movement

-Jonny

• Administrator

No no no. Head shouldn't go down much and definitely not forward. Compare to the corner of the wall.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@woodzie264, on the wall drill make sure to not let right leg completely straighten out/knee lock out when you rotate (little extension is fine -just not lock out). A good feel is to ensure your hip rotate into the INSIDE of your right foot favoring the ball of the foot a bit. If done right this is where you will feel most of the weight. This will ensure you are rotating and not merely bending forward.   

Vishal S.

4 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@woodzie264, on the wall drill make sure to not let right leg completely straighten out/knee lock out when you rotate (little extension is fine -just not lock out). A good feel is to ensure your hip rotate into the INSIDE of your right foot favoring the ball of the foot a bit. If done right this is where you will feel most of the weight. This will ensure you are rotating and not merely bending forward.   

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

No no no. Head shouldn't go down much and definitely not forward. Compare to the corner of the wall.

got it, thanks - I will work on it.

-Jonny

9 hours ago, RandallT said:

Be the chicken

now that's a steady head

:dance:

I'll never be able to think of Key 1 with a straight face ever again!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@iacas, focused on keeping head steadier (with less downward/forward movement), while pushing right hip away from the wall

@GolfLug, I focused on, and felt, more weight to inside of my right foot while maintaining more flex in right knee.

critiques? I want to get some reps in, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  You know it's a bad start when you need repeated correction on the drill meant to correct the swing flaw! :8)

-Jonny

To my (uneducated) eye, that looks a lot more steady

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

@DaveP043, I've seen your basement, your Golf IQ is pretty high :content:

-Jonny