IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

apparently not long enough. 

Did you watch my "ultimate grip video"?

Your left thumb will look a little like / and your right thumb will look a little like \ to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, iacas said:

Did you watch my "ultimate grip video"?

Your left thumb will look a little like / and your right thumb will look a little like \ to you.

I did - thanks. 

played 9 holes today with 4 one-putts. SGP last four round since late August: 2.7, 3.9, 2.6, 2.7. Happy with how that front is looking as of late. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Went to range today; irons A-, Driver D

Worst day with a driver…EVER.  I usually hit 70-75% of my fairways and consider it be my most reliable club. 
I had it “fixed” by the end, but dang I sucked today. I’ll need to post a swing with it, but my driver swing is much flatter than my “usual” swing. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Went to range today; irons A-, Driver D

Worst day with a driver…EVER.  I usually hit 70-75% of my fairways and consider it be my most reliable club. 
I had it “fixed” by the end, but dang I sucked today. I’ll need to post a swing with it, but my driver swing is much flatter than my “usual” swing. 

What was the fix? 

Vishal S.

42 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

What was the fix? 

Better weight shift forward - I was finishing with too much weight on right foot.  Having said that, I realized I have a multitude of issues that I was not able to correct despite my intellectual understanding of the flaws. Knowing my issues and fixing them are two different things.  Luckily, I finished with 5-6 good ones and figured I should quit on a good note.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• 1 month later...

Okay….I’ve been putting this off for awhile, but my problem has gotten progressively worse. I am very happy with the way I’m hitting my iron, wedges, and even 5W…but over the past 6 months, despite my driver being my most reliable club (11-12 of 14 FW per round), I have start hitting a pull slice or even worse, a push slice. I think I vary between the two as I try to self-correct the problem.  Well, it’s no longer bearable. I have never posted a driver video in all these years, but I’m posting two “different swings” here today for review and critique. 

This first swing is my normal driver swing, which is far flatter than my iron swing. It has always been this way and, up until 6 months ago, had done me pretty well.  (I apologize this is not recorded in slow-mo)

I believe on of my many problems is that I have way to much weight on back foot despite my efforts to correct that.

Now, here is my “iron swing” made with the driver:

To be honest I don’t see I big difference (especially in FOV), but they feel VERY different. I’d like to know they best way to get better.

@iacas, @boogielicious, @billchao, Do I modify my normal driver swing (#1)…if so, how? What’s the first PP?

or, Do I start with a swing which feels more like my iron swing (#2)? If so, what’s My first PP? The second one I definitely come over the top 😞

Help! I have until End of May before my Scotland trip!

-Jonny

8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I'm gonna leave the PP to @iacas, but this looks pretty OTT to me. Shouldn't hands be closer to the pocket at A5

image.png

🧐 Nothing about the swing looks good 😖. I’m just hoping someone has the magic words for me so I can regain my control again over the next few months… and not something so elaborate as fixing my grip because I’ll never master that

-Jonny

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Okay….I’ve been putting this off for awhile, but my problem has gotten progressively worse. I am very happy with the way I’m hitting my iron, wedges, and even 5W…but over the past 6 months, despite my driver being my most reliable club (11-12 of 14 FW per round), I have start hitting a pull slice or even worse, a push slice. I think I vary between the two as I try to self-correct the problem.  Well, it’s no longer bearable. I have never posted a driver video in all these years, but I’m posting two “different swings” here today for review and critique. 

This first swing is my normal driver swing, which is far flatter than my iron swing. It has always been this way and, up until 6 months ago, had done me pretty well.  (I apologize this is not recorded in slow-mo)

I believe on of my many problems is that I have way to much weight on back foot despite my efforts to correct that.

Now, here is my “iron swing” made with the driver:

To be honest I don’t see I big difference (especially in FOV), but they feel VERY different. I’d like to know they best way to get better.

@iacas, @boogielicious, @billchao, Do I modify my normal driver swing (#1)…if so, how? What’s the first PP?

or, Do I start with a swing which feels more like my iron swing (#2)? If so, what’s My first PP? The second one I definitely come over the top 😞

Help! I have until End of May before my Scotland trip!

It looks like you are not shifting enough forward in the face on views. Your left hip is aligned with a pole and stays there the whole swing in the bottom FO. Slow down the swing and make sure you are getting your weight moving forward from the top. The top FO, you shift back but only make it back to where your left hip was at setup. The bottom FO, you just stay in that same spot,

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It looks like you are not shifting enough forward in the face on views. Your left hip is aligned with a pole and stays there the whole swing in the bottom FO. Slow down the swing and make sure you are getting your weight moving forward from the top. The top FO, you shift back but only make it back to where your left hip was at setup. The bottom FO, you just stay in that same spot,

I definitely feel like my weight shift is a big issue, but I didn’t “see” it until you pointed that out.  I will do, then video, some “dry swings” for a week or so before doing a video with real swing. 

-Jonny

Straighten the right elbow earlier in your downswing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Jonny,

In no particular order:

01.jpg

I'm not sure the grip is great yet. I mean, maybe your hands are smaller, etc. I know you've worked on this. I wish I had done more to show you two Octobers ago at RNK… but I don't imagine that's in the fingers as much as I'd like. I regret typing this as much as I think you'll regret having to read it again. 😛

02.jpg

This is your flatter backswing - the clubhead is well outside the ball at just before impact. And your more iron like driver swing in the FO view. Both are bad. But… the iron-like driver swing is demonstrably worse:

03.jpg

I don't think your iron swing is where you want it to be, either.

I think you can play with some hand-eye coordination, etc. But I think you've got some work to do.

If you can get some good high-speed video, we could begin working on some things. Again, to re-state, I don't think your iron swing is likely where you truly want it, either. It's highly unlikely your driver swing is that different than your iron swing, and your "iron-like driver swing" is worse than your "flatter" swing.

So…

• High speed videos.
  • Good camera angles.
  • FO and DL.
  • Driver and 7-iron.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I see Erik beat me to it so not sure I should throw this in. But I've almost finished, so....

To my eye these look incredibly different! Less flat swing is way more over the top. Though you're still coming from the outside with the flatter swing.

What jumps out to me is how extremely you're standing up, losing your spine angle, and not using your lower body well.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.50.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.49.49 PM.png

A big part of why you have to yank backwards/up and fall into your back foot is as a reaction to this. If you have this body motion and don't yank you'd just miss the ball entirely. Gotta get your hips way more rotated, forward, and left.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.56.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.55.19 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

First thing I noticed, like @iacassaid, grip. Not in fingers yet. Set up wise also, I’d skinny that stance to just barely past shoulder width as it would let you use the lower body better. Maybe it’s the camera angle, but I’d also try to get your spine angled a little more away from target. In swing wise, soft straight trail arm. 

Your head moves laterally immediately in the backswing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Jonny,

In no particular order:

01.jpg

I'm not sure the grip is great yet. I mean, maybe your hands are smaller, etc. I know you've worked on this. I wish I had done more to show you two Octobers ago at RNK… but I don't imagine that's in the fingers as much as I'd like. I regret typing this as much as I think you'll regret having to read it again. 😛

02.jpg

This is your flatter backswing - the clubhead is well outside the ball at just before impact. And your more iron like driver swing in the FO view. Both are bad. But… the iron-like driver swing is demonstrably worse:

03.jpg

I don't think your iron swing is where you want it to be, either.

I think you can play with some hand-eye coordination, etc. But I think you've got some work to do.

If you can get some good high-speed video, we could begin working on some things. Again, to re-state, I don't think your iron swing is likely where you truly want it, either. It's highly unlikely your driver swing is that different than your iron swing, and your "iron-like driver swing" is worse than your "flatter" swing.

So…

• High speed videos.
  • Good camera angles.
  • FO and DL.
  • Driver and 7-iron.

Ok - I will toss out trying to make the driver swing feel more like the irons since that one is the worse of the two and clearly…a lot..to work on.  I knew this was gonna be ugly.

I will repost next week. I also appreciate @boogielicious, @GolfLug, @billchao, @phillyk, and @mdl for the feedback.  

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jonny

• Administrator

@woodzie264, this isn't something you're going to be able to do on your own.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

@woodzie264, this isn't something you're going to be able to do on your own.

Totally agreed. One step at a time…or even baby steps. I have no delusions of grandeur, I am not of the mindset I will make huge gains; it took me almost a year before I was able to straighten my right elbow with the irons and it’s been nearly that long that I’ve worked on my grip…with less success. I’m a slow learner, obviously.

-Jonny

9 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Totally agreed. One step at a time…or even baby steps. I have no delusions of grandeur, I am not of the mindset I will make huge gains; it took me almost a year before I was able to straighten my right elbow with the irons and it’s been nearly that long that I’ve worked on my grip…with less success. I’m a slow learner, obviously.

If you could swing it, a trip to Golf Evolution in Erie would really help. I do Evolvr, which is very good, but in person with Erik is excellent.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave