IGNORED

Pawn shop Mizuno MP33

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found a set of Mizuno MP33s for sale in a local pawn shop. A little dinged up and dirty but in overall not too bad shape. I have read a lot of the reviews and know of the clubs reputation and have owned a Mizunos in the past. I am currently rocking Nike covert 2.0s which I love, but I sometimes miss the feeling of playing a blade. The store is asking 70 bucks for the set including a beat up bag and some old woods. I feel like I might be able to sell the rest of the stuff for a few bucks. So I am asking, good deal yay or nay. Thoughts and opinions are most welcome!

70 dollars is a good deal for blades in decent condition.  Usually pawn shops have nothing but junk clubs. I buy a cheap graphite club for 5 dollars to practice sawing graphite. So finding a hittable club is a real treat. Just make sure whatever wear it shows is consistent with regular use. Like most things used, a reasonable assessment of the previous owner can be just as important as the item itself. 

My first thought is that if you're "rocking" a set of modern game improvement irons, and are still a 20(+) handicap, the last thing I'd encourage you to do is buy a set of 15ish year old blades.

Having said that, I remember them being a quality set of blades, appreciated by a couple of low handicap buddies that played them a bunch of years ago.  Right or wrong, you really can't go wrong for $70...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

My first thought is that if you're "rocking" a set of modern game improvement irons, and are still a 20(+) handicap, the last thing I'd encourage you to do is buy a set of 15ish year old blades.

Having said that, I remember them being a quality set of blades, appreciated by a couple of low handicap buddies that played them a bunch of years ago.  Right or wrong, you really can't go wrong for $70...

You just had to throw the handicap comment in there didn't you? Please explain your point because he didn't ask for your opinion of him wanting a set of blades. His question had to do with it being a fair deal or not. Glad you at least admit it's a fair price but stop thinking anyone gives a flip about your opinion of who should play certain types of clubs. Good grief, some of you are really beyond belief. 

Edited by Lagavulin62
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

You just had to throw the handicap comment in there didn't you? Please explain your point because he didn't ask for your opinion of him wanting a set of blades. His question had to do with it being a fair deal or not. Glad you at least admit it's a fair price but stop thinking anyone gives a flip about your opinion of who should play certain types of clubs. Good grief, some of you are really beyond belief. 

Well, at least we agree on Scotch Whisky...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Although your point is correct in him not asking persons opinions, this is a website dedicated to the love of the game. This can include sharing information and advice on things. I think it is fair to say @David in FL's comment was meant in good faith and with no ill will (without any further understanding of his intentions).  Many people don't have the knowledge of what irons they should play given their handicap and so it's not a comment that was out of the ordinary from a person trying to offer some advice  

Not sure why your reaction would be so emotional. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Check the shafts and grips. If you ever want them to be more than just a pretty set of blades you look at once in a while, and the shafts and grips are in bad condition (or they're x-flex and midsize grips), you could end up doubling or tripling your outlay. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You agree with my point but can't see how that response was irrelevant? He simply wanted an opinion of value and that is what he got until these comments of blades being for others. Not everyone is asking for club fitting advice, forum is open to a number of topics that don't require the skill level of the OP. This is one of those times. 

I had some MP33's a couple of years ago and sunk some coin in them. Had them reshafted and bent to my needs. I put them on ebay when I was done fooling around with them and sold them for everything I had in them, and a little extra.

If the are not too beat up, put a fifty on the counter for them. See if they'll bite. @David in FL is right about the handicap. If you aren't hitting the sweet spot, there's a lot of distance loss and vibration you will get to enjoy.

@Lagavulin62 he also stated he was going to play them, not just turn them over for a profit. Weed your panties out of your crack. How's that for relevant?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

17 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

You agree with my point but can't see how that response was irrelevant? He simply wanted an opinion of value and that is what he got until these comments of blades being for others. Not everyone is asking for club fitting advice, forum is open to a number of topics that don't require the skill level of the OP. This is one of those times. 

I said your point that he did not ask was correct. Never said I agreed with you. Because OP said they missed playing a blade it made the bringing of his posted handicap relevant. More importantly, the only person who seems to be offended by the observation is you. 

10 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

@David in FL

@Lagavulin62 he also stated he was going to play them, not just turn them over for a profit. Weed your panties out of your crack. How's that for relevant?

This is an anonymous forum and that is what you got for me? 

I made my point. Now carry on with your message and keep telling yourself it's for the good of the game. As long as you believe what else matters? 

5 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I said your point that he did not ask was correct. Never said I agreed with you. Because OP said they missed playing a blade it made the bringing of his posted handicap relevant. More importantly, the only person who seems to be offended by the observation is you. 

If I were to say you're a jerk, that doesn't mean you're a jerk. Likewise because you say I'm offended, doesn't mean I am. I just questioned why he had to bring up handicap when it didn't matter.  When you are on the course or the range and you see someone struggling, do you proceed to grill them for the poor selection of clubs? Of course not. So why must you do that in here when it was never asked? 

15 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

This is an anonymous forum and that is what you got for me? 

I made my point. Now carry on with your message and keep telling yourself it's for the good of the game. As long as you believe what else matters?

Huh? i didn't think I said anything any more harsh than you have.

15 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

If I were to say you're a jerk, that doesn't mean you're a jerk. Likewise because you say I'm offended, doesn't mean I am. I just questioned why he had to bring up handicap when it didn't matter.  When you are on the course or the range and you see someone struggling, do you proceed to grill them for the poor selection of clubs? Of course not. So why must you do that in here when it was never asked? 

Okay. You seem offended. Is that better.

8 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Glad you at least admit it's a fair price but stop thinking anyone gives a flip about your opinion of who should play certain types of clubs.

Especially when you phrase things in this way. See the way a forum works is that one person says one thing and another (or more) chimes in with facts, opinions or both. Welcome to forums.

Now lets get back on topic.

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Huh? i didn't think I said anything any more harsh than you have.

Okay. You seem offended. Is that better.

Especially when you phrase things in this way. See the way a forum works is that one person says one thing and another (or more) chimes in with facts, opinions or both. Welcome to forums.

Now lets get back on topic.

Thank you.  And the fact is he never asked for anything except if 70 was a fair price.  When he asked for opinions that was in regards to the price. That 70 is a fair price whether the buyer is a 3 or 38 handicap or 98 in a wheelchair. That is how the market works. 

1 minute ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Thank you.  And the fact is he never asked for anything except if 70 was a fair price.  When he asked for opinions that was in regards to the price. That 70 is a fair price whether the buyer is a 3 or 38 handicap or 98 in a wheelchair. That is how the market works. 

You are splitting hairs. Get over it.

• Upvote 1

I will say that I hadn't even thought of my handicap being an issue but it certainly would be relevant. When I switched from my previous Mizuno set to the Nike set I was more likely to beat my playing partner who I usually tied so I guess the question of whether I am good enough to play these clubs is an important one to ask. The shafts are (I think) Dg s300 which is fine and dandy for me. The grips would certainly need to be replaced. I think even as a set of "maybe some day" clubs they could be a lot of fun. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Anjew said:

I will say that I hadn't even thought of my handicap being an issue but it certainly would be relevant. When I switched from my previous Mizuno set to the Nike set I was more likely to beat my playing partner who I usually tied so I guess the question of whether I am good enough to play these clubs is an important one to ask. The shafts are (I think) Dg s300 which is fine and dandy for me. The grips would certainly need to be replaced. I think even as a set of "maybe some day" clubs they could be a lot of fun. 

They are fun. They are not the easiest to hit consistently but I had some really good rounds with mine. I don't think you can go wrong with these as long as the sweet spot isn't wore out or they are overly dinged up. I bet you can get twice that on ebay for them.

@Anjew If they're in good shape, $70 is a great deal.  I had the MP-33 two sets ago, they were nice clubs.  I find myself checking out eBay here and there to see what's available, so needless to say, I'm a little jealous.

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!