IGNORED

How to increase my smash factor?

Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Improve your swing, THEN worry about smash factor.

Yep.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I was struck by the swing speed numbers, 120 mph is pretty uncommon outside of professional golfers.  Looking at the swing videos, I just don't see that kind of swing speed.  Is it possible that the ball speed numbers are accurate, and the clubhead speed is exaggerated?  The Jerry Kelly video shows a clubhead speed of 111 mph, I'd be really surprised if the OP had a swing speed that high, let alone 10 to 15 mph higher. 

After watching those videos again, I'd have to agree that I'd question the clubhead speed on video 2 as being 124.8mph.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Well, I'm not too concerned so much with my swing speed absolute numbers. More about the relative numbers, assuming the simulator measures in a consistent way. So if my avg swing speed measured is 115mph during a normal shot I can focus on increasing that speed relative to my baseline.

However, based on my past experience using other simulators or swing speed monitors I'd say its pretty accurate. Especially since I have 2 simulators giving me the same readouts. The total and avg distances I'm seeing on simulator #1 seem pretty accurate based on my real-world experience on how far I drive the ball (using GameGolf as a reference).  My avg distance with my cheap $40 driver is about 250 off the tee which includes all my slices and miss hits. When I look at the accuracy chart and only count the shots that landed in or at the edge of the fairway that average is closer to 270 with the longest shots being in the 280-300 range. 

Before I got GameGolf and before I started using cheap drivers because I was breaking my previous drivers I know my longest drivers were around the 330yd range

Driver  -  Tour Edge Max D-45
3W -  Pinemeadows Command
3h - SW - Jack Nicklaus V-MAX hybrids & irons
64d Pinemeadows Pre wedge

17 minutes ago, bankquant said:

The total and avg distances I'm seeing on simulator #1 seem pretty accurate based on my real-world experience on how far I drive the ball (using GameGolf as a reference).  My avg distance with my cheap $40 driver is about 250 off the tee which includes all my slices and miss hits.

It seems to me that the way to increase your average distance is to minimize the slices and mis-hits.  Good instruction and proper practice could be the keys.  Last time I saw you posted in your My Swings thread was summer of 2015, it might be time to start that back up again.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd most to give a little closure here on why there smash factor is always reading around 1.35 on average. A couple days ago someone came in with one of those blue swing speed radars.  Like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00124P7SI/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

I assume this is probably more accurate than the simulator because its measuring from 10 inches away instead of cameras in the ceiling but who knows. However, every swing I took with this was roughly 10mph less than what the simulator was telling me. So a shot like the below reading a smash factor of 1.37 really comes out to 1.49 if I take 10 mph off the swing speed and keep the ball speed constant.  

20170402_113320.thumb.jpg.c706798603502b44efb38d0ed4dac802.jpg

Driver  -  Tour Edge Max D-45
3W -  Pinemeadows Command
3h - SW - Jack Nicklaus V-MAX hybrids & irons
64d Pinemeadows Pre wedge

2 hours ago, bankquant said:

Thought I'd most to give a little closure here on why there smash factor is always reading around 1.35 on average. A couple days ago someone came in with one of those blue swing speed radars.  Like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00124P7SI/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

I assume this is probably more accurate than the simulator because its measuring from 10 inches away instead of cameras in the ceiling but who knows. However, every swing I took with this was roughly 10mph less than what the simulator was telling me. So a shot like the below reading a smash factor of 1.37 really comes out to 1.49 if I take 10 mph off the swing speed and keep the ball speed constant.  

20170402_113320.thumb.jpg.c706798603502b44efb38d0ed4dac802.jpg

It would be interesting if that thing was able to read ball speed too. It looks like that's about the only thing it doesn't do. From their description:

"The Swing Speed Radar is a small microwave Doppler radar velocity sensor that measures the swing speed of golfers and baseball/softball players. However, over-swinging can produce poor results. The Swing Speed Radar helps you improve both metrics by measuring your swing speed, determining the best speed for optimum performance, monitoring your swing consistency, and selecting the club or bat characteristics that best suit your swing type. Golfers can use the device to determine the optimum swing for distance, control, and accuracy, while baseball/softball players can work on honing their bat speed to create consistently solid contact. The Swing Speed Radar's real-time velocity feedback helps players and coaches measure improvements and troubleshoot swing mechanics."

That's a lot of stuff features for $116.  I have a feeling it pretty much reads swing speed and that's about it.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!