IGNORED

High Handicap invited to Private Club

Adam2323
Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, JetFan1983 said:

Just wanted to add to what @DaveP043 and others said.

Probably don't wear cargo shorts. I had been playing golf for all of two days when a friend invited me to his private club. I made the honest mistake of thinking cargo shorts were kosher for golf. I got chewed out pretty hard on the range. It was mildly traumatic haha. 

Best advice is to call the club before you go about dress codes.  I too belong to a private club and cargo shorts are fine.  But each club has its own set of rules.

Butch

These kinds of invites don't come around every day, so I'd say definitely go.

When you get there take a good look at a scorecard and decide what tees you'd be comfortable playing since you've never seen the course before. Talk to your friend about it. You might all be playing those tees anyway, or you might not. I'm sure no one will begrudge playing the set of tees that you're comfortable with.

Dress codes are another matter. I was invited to play a local country club, so I got out my best collared golf shirt and my best Ajay (Arnie Palmer) golf shorts. As we were getting ready to play the starter came over and said that it looked like my golf shorts might be a little TOO short! I turned the waistband over and showed him the Arnold Palmer signature and umbrella logo, He said, "Oh, I'll guess they'll be all right!"

And tipping is a separate issue. When we came off the course there was a young man right there who offered to clean my clubs. I said yes, and thanked him. I didn't know whether I was expected to tip or not. Looking around I spotted an adult obviously supervising the area. I went up to him and asked if tipping was expected, permitted, or not allowed. He told me the youngsters were being paid for their work and tipping was not allowed. He also thanked me for asking before reaching for my money clip.

One of the things you might have to get used to again at a facility like this is the idea of service! The idea of really being taken care of! I've experienced it a few times in my life, and I can tell you it's damn nice! So go! Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On March 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM, boogielicious said:

Are you sure it wasn't the JETS t-shirt??

What in the world is wrong with a Jet's shirt?!?! :-)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Tipping is very specific. If allowed a few fivers thrown around will go a long way.

Buy some beers or food if it seems right. It may have to go on the member's account and you and your sponsor can work that out. But, F&B helps on the club's bottom line and helps keep member dues lower. Not at all required but I really appreciate when my guests pick up a lunch tab.

Anytime you have the opportunity to play a great private course you should do it. As mentioned by everyone else, dress appropriately, don't get hammered drunk until after the round and just keep moving along. More importantly...enjoy that last round as a bachelor.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!