IGNORED

Drives are getting bad after a few holes

Note: This thread is 2556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First of all, I am not a great golfer by any means with a best round of 95 so far in the 3 years that im playing.

I lost a lot of strokes (balls) in my last 4 rounds with my driver. I start of well on the first 6 holes with an average of 220 yards straight although I tend to block it slightly. Then suddenly my drives are all over the place going sky high, hooks, slices or topping the ball. 

I thought it was tension but nothing I do helps. 

Any advice is much appreciated

You mentioned that you are blocking slightly on good shots. Could you be blocking more as you get tired?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Lihu said:

You mentioned that you are blocking slightly on good shots. Could you be blocking more as you get tired?

I am in my 30s and play using a buggy and with a caddie  

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

In  this case, I'm going to make the same guess as @Lihu.  When I get tired, especially my legs, my swing sequence changes some, I rely more on arms and hands, and I become more erratic.  Are you beginning to get tired?  

Is your timing breaking down for some other reason?  If you've warmed up on a driving range, do you cool off after a bit of riding in the buggy?  For many people, continued activity, such as walking from shot to shot, can help maintain their rhythm, while sitting in a buggy lets the muscles stiffen up, specifically leg muscles, negating that initial warm-up.

Do you start out with specific swing thoughts, and lose focus as the round goes on?  Do you start "fixing" the last shot, rather than making the same regular swing every time, no matter the previous shot's results?

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 hours ago, Sylvester said:

Then suddenly my drives are all over the place going sky high, hooks, slices or topping the ball. 

I thought it was tension but nothing I do helps. 

Any advice is much appreciated

You are a 22 handicap. Those type of misses are to be expected of a high handicap golfer's swing. 

My best guess, you lack key #1 a steady head. Usually all sorts of contact issues come from a lack of a steady head and not getting the weight forward at impact. 

I recommend at least starting a My Swing thread on the forum. 

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Upvote 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 3/27/2017 at 1:31 PM, DaveP043 said:

Do you start "fixing" the last shot, rather than making the same regular swing every time, no matter the previous shot's results?

^^^^ This is a very easy trap to fall into.  I have watched others do it and I have done it myself.  If this is not the case, I would ask you do you warm up before you play (about 40-60 balls before you go to the first tee)?  I'm 66 yrs. old and I have to do this.  If you don't, then perhaps your rhythm changes after six holes.  If you do warm up first, then  it is probably what @DaveP043 or @saevel25 said.

Another masochist ensnared by golf

Hitting drives "straight" for an entire round of golf is not something high handicappers can typically achieve.

In addition to the advice above, I suggest trying to develop a more reasonable pattern to play golf with.

Shaping the Ball is a smart thread to read if you haven't. It contains the ball flight laws, and some advice about playing golf with a pattern.

Note: This thread is 2556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!