IGNORED

Thin, Heel Shot Help

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here it goes. So I am and have been a fairly good golfer for a while now. I have played with this swing for long enough and now is time to change. I just can't seem to make the change but it kills me to play golf anymore as I am getting a little bit older. I am also about 5'8'' 150 lbs. 

I really straighten my right leg on the way back, drop my head, have a semi flat wrist (not to worried about this), and seem to hang back a little and have a pretty bad reverse C instead of a reverse K at impact (bent left leg). The result- I typically hit a 5 yard draw, almost all thin shots with every club (take a divot though), and almost every shot comes off the heel. I just want to be able to hit the ball solid again and play without major side and back pain. I would really just like a more simple, smooth golf swing that takes the pain out of the game. 

Can anyone help me? or tell me what to do? I even played in college and still can't seem to get out of these bad habits, and it seems like anything I try just make it worse. I would like some help and you can say whatever you want about my swing (no hard feelings).  I still get decent power on every shot and hit the ball fairly straight it just doesn't look or sound pretty if you know what I mean. PW- 140 yards, 7 iron- 160 yards, 3 iron- 210 yards, driver- 285 yards. 

Sorry to say it is hard to tell with out actually seeing your swing. Just throwing out random advice can do more harm than good. 

If you check out the My Swing section, https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/, you'll find a lot of people have created their own My Swing thread. This is a great resource to get some feedback on your swing. 

Here is a thread on how to video your swing, https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing. If you do video your swing be mindful of the camera angles. 

Here is one on how to embed videos. Embedding videos helps those who want to give advice since we can then view the video on the forum. 

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I created a My Swing thread for you.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I probably can't dissect your swing, but have you ever tried to setup with the ball closer to the toe of the club?

A number if years ago, I was told to setup with the ball more toward the toe.  I did for a while, but as I changed my swing, I was convinced I could setup in the center of the club face because I felt anything otherwise would just mask an issue, which it may.  But I was still hitting on the heel side.

Decided to go back to setting up toward to toe and I am amazed how much more room I have on the downswing.  Not hitting off heel and better contact.

John

6 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I probably can't dissect your swing, but have you ever tried to setup with the ball closer to the toe of the club?

A number if years ago, I was told to setup with the ball more toward the toe.  I did for a while, but as I changed my swing, I was convinced I could setup in the center of the club face because I felt anything otherwise would just mask an issue, which it may.  But I was still hitting on the heel side.

Decided to go back to setting up toward to toe and I am amazed how much more room I have on the downswing.  Not hitting off heel and better contact.

John

Yea, I actually use to really put it off the toe. Now i just do it slightly.. I really think the heel shots are from me getting my hands stuck behind my hips due to them sliding forward and not around. 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, alecwickey5 said:

Good club path and face in the DTL vid. My guess would be the back and side pain would a result of trying to force change the club path more in and down towards the ball as it is most probably and naturally going out based on your swing.

In short,you are instinctively fighting club path as you get close to impact. Of course you don't succeed since to late and contact towards heel.  

IDK for sure, but for a good club path swing like yours, it is usually (not always..) a ball position issue., i.e., a tad bit too close. Half inch away from you might do it and let you swing out freely. Easy to try without going on a wild goose chase.

Good luck. Nice swing, BTW.

You will probably get more feedback from more knowledgeable folks here.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Alright guys. I have worked on my swing all day today and here is what I have come up with. I know its not perfect and it's not hitting a ball and that can sometimes change things. I feel like my hip turn is much better. Let me know what you think.

6 minutes ago, alecwickey5 said:

Alright guys. I have worked on my swing all day today and here is what I have come up with. I know its not perfect and it's not hitting a ball and that can sometimes change things. I feel like my hip turn is much better. Let me know what you think.

Please put this in your My Swing thread. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

From the face on video above it looks like your head starts moving down and forward during the middle of the downswing and once you get closer to impact it starts to move away from the target. That may be something to look at as a cause of the issue.

Just an observation.

Your right elbow was bowing out and lifting at impact ( immediately after the impact ).

This might be caused by over dominant right side.  However, there were successful Tour players with similar golf swing so.... either correct it or , practice more and own the swing.    This might also be the cause for your back pain issue, since your swing axis was forced to change.  Perhaps it looked that way because of the speed you had generated from that swing.

To me it looks like you have a down a back movement of your head. This could knock off the where the club is bottoming out creating a divot behind the ball while catching the ball on the upswing post divot. This would cause a divot and thin shot. If you are hitting on the heel you should be getting hosel rockets or shanks. How do you know it is the heel?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!