IGNORED

Ruling for pin position?

p1n9183
Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everybody, this weekend at my home course we played the first important tournament of the year. The club committee said that in big tournaments the course will be more challenging than usuall. They let the rough grow more than usual, they set harder pin position and the greens where a bit harder and faster.

I totally back up the idea but unfortunately the pins position criteria where far from good. A lot of them where only 6 feet from the fringe and a lot of them where set on severe slopes. Sometimes both at the same time. Everybody on the club complained about it.

After compiting in a lot of national tournaments of the AAG (Argentine version of the USGA in USA) i´ve never faced such ridiculus pin positions. The hardest ones where at list 9 feet from the fringe and always placed on a soft slope at least 3 to 6 feet around the hole.

Are there rules or suggestion for setting pin position??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

It depends.  Some courses have what my area calls ball buster pins.  Specifically designed course/tournament meant to be unfair.  As to the rules?  I think the pins, generally, have to be a few paces from the edges of greens.  I don't think there's a limit to where in relation to a slope the pin can be.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

There are recommendations for hole locations, but no actual "rules."

Sorry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

Are there rules or suggestion for setting pin position??

Here's what the USGA says: https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=143&Rule=16

It's interesting that it's headed as "Requirements for Hole Location on the Putting Green," but then they say

There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location.

They then give eleven "specific points," which (I guess) aren't rules or requirements.  (Suggestions? "Factors"?)  Worthwhile looking at, but at the end of the day, there are no illegal locations.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

There are recommendations for hole locations, but no actual "rules."

Sorry.

I always understood that to be the case.  Where would one find the recommendations?

Thanks.

edited to add that @Missouri Swede answered the question.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks everybody. At least i can give them this recomendations:

4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Item 2: At least 4 paces from any edge, they give us 2.
Item 3: Don´t put it in a sharp slope where a ball can gather speed. One in my group hit a putt uphill and missed 1 foot beyond the hole but it´s stop and roll back to the hole a few inches, almost holed it backwards.
Item 7: There were a lot of ridiculus pin positions, a lot of hard ones and a few mid ones. Not even one relatively easy. All of them were close to the edges and in a slope.  

3 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

The pin locations may suck, but everyone was playing the same course so I don't see why complain?

We complaint about the unfair pin position. I play against me and the course, not people. Have to aim outside the hole for birdie from 3 feet uphill and still miss it in the low side it isn´t fun. Almost hole in one airborne and i leave the hole with a par after a good putt stroke because i could´t belive the slope were that severe around the hole. 

Yea, they do it here too, 4-6 paces, and on slopes, or both.  Challenging and fun.  Pace of play enhancers for sure.

Pin placement is an art.  Some courses just don't get it, and think that a tough pin placement should be the equivalent of a putt-putt course.   Augusta are the "masters" of this.  they use pins to completely change the way a hole is played (watch the progression of the 4 pins on holes 11 and 12 this weekend), yet they never put a pin in a terrible spot.   Always somewhat accessible, never too close to a ridge. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!