IGNORED

35YO Golfer's Plan: Buy a Trackman, Dedicate 7 Hours Daily, Get Good

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 4/25/2017 at 9:15 AM, DeadMan said:

It already seems like a better idea than the Dan Plan, but he needs to switch around those practice ratios fast. 50% on putting! That's way too much.

In other words, I want to send this thread to him:

Β 

Β 

@DeadManΒ I just read the full thing and I like the theory. Exactly the opposite of the one I came up with myself. I love things like that! Thx for sharing. None the less, I will follow my own plan so I can either learn from my success or my failures. Maybe I will even switch it up after a certain time and follow @iacasΒ plan, to see the difference.Β 

Well, again thx for sharing! Have a great day.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, nevets88 said:

His Twitter and FB are not active:Β https://twitter.com/RealRangeGolfer,Β https://www.facebook.com/rangegolfer/

Brief responses to comments inΒ his blog posts: Β https://rangegolfer.com/rangegolfer/

Β 

Yeah still working on it. Honestly, this is my first time blogging, being online social, and so on. I am more of an introvert and this approach is very new to me. About the comments. I setup disqus and even though I have it setup to notify me about comments I am not getting the notifications. Twitter, I haven't even touched yet. I know lazy me, right?! I am trying to start putting more content out there and finding efficient ways of tracking and documenting everything. Sometimes I am just so focused on the course, that my last thought is to take a picture for Instagram or post a quick tweet. Still getting used to it.Β 

3 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

@DeadManΒ I just read the full thing and I like the theory. Exactly the opposite of the one I came up with myself. I love things like that! Thx for sharing. None the less, I will follow my own plan so I can either learn from my success or my failures. Maybe I will even switch it up after a certain time and follow @iacasΒ plan, to see the difference.Β 

Well, again thx for sharing! Have a great day.

I really think that's bad idea, if your goal is to become the best golfer you can be. If you're just out to spend time playing golf, then more power to you. But the data over and over shows that long game is what differentiates golfers. I am not a good putter, but I've gotten down to a 6 handicap without really working on my putting. The reason I'm a 6 is because I've spent a lot more time fixing my swing than I have fixing my putting.

I would also get worried about you getting really bored while practicing putting that much. There's only so much you can practice on a putting green. I'd bet you can become a really good putter without working on it that much. You can be a lot more productive using that time to practice all sorts of different long game shots.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

@iacasΒ I am just going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are amazing at what you do and know way much more than me. So do not assume that I am directly challenging what you are saying. With that aside..Β 

First of all welcome to the site @RangeGolfer! Β Hopefully you stick around and are open minded to some of the feedback and can get past some of the negative characters that may pop in.

I'll just say this that @iacasΒ is one of the best instructors out there:

I've worked with him for years and it has made a huge difference for my game.Β  Much of the challenge toΒ your approach comes from our own experience.Β  Right now you likely just don't have a great understanding of how to prioritize what you need to work on with the swing and other aspects of the game. Β I understand the need to justify your purchase, but it was probably not the best way to spend your money/time.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I really think that's bad idea, if your goal is to become the best golfer you can be. If you're just out to spend time playing golf, then more power to you. But the data over and over shows that long game is what differentiates golfers. I am not a good putter, but I've gotten down to a 6 handicap without really working on my putting. The reason I'm a 6 is because I've spent a lot more time fixing my swing than I have fixing my putting.

I would also get worried about you getting really bored while practicing putting that much. There's only so much you can practice on a putting green. I'd bet you can become a really good putter without working on it that much. You can be a lot more productive using that time to practice all sorts of different long game shots.

Β 

I understand what you are saying, but I am just not comfortable putting at all! My current average is 36.76 putts per round (counting 28 rounds).

As long as I am not comfortable and good at doing the following:

25 in a row from 3 feet
25 in a row from 5 feet
Lag Putting
20 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

I will keep on following my hours.

If putting is so easy to learn as Isaca states in his post. IΒ should be able to adjustΒ my planΒ pretty soon, right?

2 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

I understand what you are saying, but I am just not comfortable putting at all! My current average is 36.76 putts per round (counting 28 rounds).

As long as I am not comfortable and good at doing the following:

25 in a row from 3 feet
25 in a row from 5 feet
Lag Putting
20 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle
20 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

I will keep on following my hours.

If putting is so easy to learn as Isaca states in his post. IΒ should be able to adjustΒ my planΒ pretty soon, right?

One thing that helped some of us here is Aimpoint. The clinics helped us read greens better and you might get some putting tips along the way. Also an instructor that uses SAM Putt lab is helpful as well - it's sort of the Trackman of putting. I think Aimpoint has some new speed control material now, but have yet to take a clinic on that yet.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

25 in a row from 3 feet

99Β out of 100 is PGA Tour average. Really, if you are missing a ton of these you might need a putting lesson, or a putter fitting.Β 

8 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

25 in a row from 5 feet

81 out of 100 is PGA tour average. So, that is 8 out of 10. 25 in a row is a bit of an overachievement.Β 

Its good to know perspective.Β 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

4 minutes ago, cipher said:

First of all welcome to the site @RangeGolfer! Β Hopefully you stick around and are open minded to some of the feedback and can get past some of the negative characters that may pop in.

I'll just say this that @iacasΒ is one of the best instructors out there:

I've worked with him for years and it has made a huge difference for my game.Β  Much of the challenge toΒ your approach comes from our own experience.Β  Right now you likely just don't have a great understanding of how to prioritize what you need to work on with the swing and other aspects of the game. Β I understand the need to justify your purchase, but it was probably not the best way to spend your money/time.

Β 
Β 

Thx for the share. Great that he made that list. He can be proud of himself. Really cool stuff! Some really talented people on this site!Β 

Stop thinking about the money. I am a very data-driven person and very analytical. The most annoying thing for me during practice sessions was the lack of data. Yes I saw the ball flight, yes I could shape the ball or hit the target, but I wanted to see data. Personally, that was the best purchase I ever made. I can do what I love to do. Stand on the range, swing one ball. Check my video analyze the data. Change something, check the data again. It is what I love to do. I think a lot are getting to hung up on the price. Just forget about it. If that think would be $50, every damn golfer would be having one behind them during every range session (probably).

This is not a race! This is something I am doing because of the passion for the game. I want to learn it more and understand it fully. If it takes me to head a wrong path for several weeks or months, at least I tried to come up with something myself. I don't know how you are or learn or live your life? I am a person who loves to come up with ideas and challenge them, just to see if I was right or wrong. Or if my idea was doable or not. In reality, there is no failing here. I will come out of this with more knowledge about the game and I bet you, even as a better player.Β 

Even If I head the wrong direction and after a few months adapt my schedule to Iacas method, I still did not fail. I have maybe proven that my initial thought process was wrong and we have some kind of proof for that. So even better for Iacas. Because he would have one crazy guy doing the exact opposite of what he preaches, adjusting his method and suddenly proving that his Iacas was the better choice!Β 

So, bottom line, instead of focusing on the purchase and saying it was inefficient and so on. Let's see where this goes and what we maybe learn from it. I can predict that I will learn a lot. I invite you to follow my process if you like to and maybe something good will come from it.

Thx!

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

99Β out of 100 is PGA Tour average. Really, if you are missing a ton of these you might need a putting lesson, or a putter fitting.Β 

81 out of 100 is PGA tour average. So, that is 8 out of 10. 25 in a row is a bit of an overachievement.Β 

Its good to know perspective.Β 

Β 

I stopped one time when I went over 100 with the 3 footers, but that was with a chalk line on the green that I can follow. My max withoutΒ a chalk line to help me, that I just recorded on Monday, was 42.Β 

I am starting to have issues with 5 footers and more.Β 

Again I don't need to reach the exact numbers 100%, but I want to be pretty close to them.Β 

I started with my practice last week and I already learned what I am doing wrong.

What helped me was a combination of different things, talking for 5 minutes to one of the pros and playing a few rounds with another very good golfer. Right now I am implementing it and it is already heading in the right direction.Β 

7 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

Thx for the share. Great that he made that list. He can be proud of himself. Really cool stuff! Some really talented people on this site!Β 

Stop thinking about the money. I am a very data-driven person and very analytical. The most annoying thing for me during practice sessions was the lack of data. Yes I saw the ball flight, yes I could shape the ball or hit the target, but I wanted to see data. Personally, that was the best purchase I ever made. I can do what I love to do. Stand on the range, swing one ball. Check my video analyze the data. Change something, check the data again. It is what I love to do. I think a lot are getting to hung up on the price. Just forget about it. If that think would be $50, every damn golfer would be having one behind them during every range session (probably).

This is not a race! This is something I am doing because of the passion for the game. I want to learn it more and understand it fully. If it takes me to head a wrong path for several weeks or months, at least I tried to come up with something myself. I don't know how you are or learn or live your life? I am a person who loves to come up with ideas and challenge them, just to see if I was right or wrong. Or if my idea was doable or not. In reality, there is no failing here. I will come out of this with more knowledge about the game and I bet you, even as a better player.Β 

Even If I head the wrong direction and after a few months adapt my schedule to Iacas method, I still did not fail. I have maybe proven that my initial thought process was wrong and we have some kind of proof for that. So even better for Iacas. Because he would have one crazy guy doing the exact opposite of what he preaches, adjusting his method and suddenly proving that his Iacas was the better choice!Β 

So, bottom line, instead of focusing on the purchase and saying it was inefficient and so on. Let's see where this goes and what we maybe learn from it. I can predict that I will learn a lot. I invite you to follow my process if you like to and maybe something good will come from it.

Thx!

I really enjoy seeing how much passion you have for the game. I think challenging ideas is a good thing for you because you have a trackman and can see why things work and don't work so good on you. If I tried to challenge things and they did or did not work I may not even know why because I can't see the data. I think if you goΒ down a wrong path itsΒ not a bad thing because you will be learning more overall and if your in this for a marathon not a sprint then that's what could be best for you.Β 

I don't wanna go down the wrong path because golf is more of a sprint for me. I don't get to play a lot only like once every 2 weeks. So it's important for me to stay on path and not challenge things and be more of a stupid monkey and listen to people who know what they are talking about.

I really do wish you the best of luck on your journey and hopefully you learn so much about the game and can pass it on to new players.Β I am going to be following this to see how things are going!

• Upvote 1

@RangeGolferΒ at 35 you're in a race and hopefully you understand that. Β You seem intent on making your own mistakes and that's fine. Β Hopefully you realize things quickly enough and stay healthy. Β Best of luck.

• Upvote 3

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

One thing that helped some of us here is Aimpoint. The clinics helped us read greens better and you might get some putting tips along the way. Also an instructor that uses SAM Putt lab is helpful as well - it's sort of the Trackman of putting. I think Aimpoint has some new speed control material now, but have yet to take a clinic on that yet.

Β 

I just found Aimpoint yesterday. Looked at it for a little bit and checked where they offer classes. I also came across thisΒ http://puttingzone.com/vector.htmlΒ and started reading it. It has a more detailed approach and also claiming that Aimpoint isn't all that good or something like that.Β I will study the whole thing since it is pretty detailed. I think that guy wrote his theory in 1984 or so.

• iacas changed the title to 35YO Golfer's Plan: Buy a Trackman, Dedicate 7 Hours Daily, Get Good
7 minutes ago, cipher said:

@RangeGolferΒ at 35 you're in a race and hopefully you understand that. Β You seem intent on making your own mistakes and that's fine. Β Hopefully you realize things quickly enough and stay healthy. Β Best of luck.

Β 

@cipherΒ thx for wishing me luck. I live by one philosophy. The path to success is built on failureΒ and if you are afraid of failure, success will be harder to reach.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

I just found Aimpoint yesterday. Looked at it for a little bit and checked where they offer classes. I also came across thisΒ http://puttingzone.com/vector.htmlΒ and started reading it. It has a more detailed approach and also claiming that Aimpoint isn't all that good or something like that.Β I will study the whole thing since it is pretty detailed. I think that guy wrote his theory in 1984 or so.

Ignore almost anything from Jeff. He's a crotchety old guy who hates AimPoint. In one breath he'll tell you it's like cheating (i.e. it's good, and should not be allowed because of how easy it makes reading greens), and then in the next he'll tell you it's inaccurate bullshit. He's a competitor, and he's wrong. He's a crotchety, bitter old pill. And AimPoint is not based on the Templeton book. The Templeton book is well out of date. Mark Sweeney developed his own physics models.

3 hours ago, poser said:

I think he is an idiot he could have use that money alot better ways than all 25k right into a trackman.

Not everyone has the same value system, @poser. I can see the value in having a launch monitor… I'd have just gotten a Flightscope and saved $15k, myself. :-)

On 4/25/2017 at 9:32 AM, iacas said:

His schedule is really, really quite poor.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of him, via email or Twitter?

This works too.

I'm not one to say something I can't back up, so basically…

I think you're playing too much golf. I think you're spending too little time on the full swing and too much time putting.

I encourage you to:

• Peruse the "Swing Thoughts" forum here.
  • Buy a copy of LSW.
  • Read LSW. :-)
  • Develop a very harsh filter as 95% of the stuff out there is shit.
  • Keep an open mind, even from people who aren't as "data-centric" as you… they're still ultimately talking about the same game/sport as you are.
2 hours ago, RangeGolfer said:

To make a quick point. I am not running to the course and immediately pound blindly balls, run to play 18 and quickly run to the range after checking the Arccos system. If I take 2 hours for putting one morning I probably spend 30 minutes on research, analyzing, talking to the pros about what I am doing and so on. Last time I was working on trying to see what effects the roll %. I love to analyze things myself, sometimes quietly for myself and make an assumption. After that, I test it or compare it with information that is out there. This is not something everybody should do. This is something I came up with for myself, knowing myself really well. They way I work and the way I function.

Read more Β 

Sticking to what you think will work is admirable, but atΒ the same time, know that many have undergone similar journeys, and that you can learn from all types of people, whether they're super-analytical or not.

And realize, too, please that you're not knowledgeable enough yet to have a very good filter. For some basic things, yes, but if you get some building blocks wrong you can spend years and years going down some wrong, long, dusty roads and building a lot of bad things into your swing before you realize the fundamental piece is wrong.

Here is the deal. I just don't hire a coach to stand behind me all day saying good, yes or no that wasn't it. I know there are many awesome coaches around, unfortunately, due to my constant moving, I never feel like it makes sense for me to go down that route. As I mentioned before, I also really enjoy figuring things out by myself. It makes me feel accomplished and for some reason, it helps build almost like a library in my head that I have easy access to, to be able to fix myself on the course. Hey, that might not be the way your head and body works, but I can assure you this works best for me.

If you're willing to risk the catastrophic… spending years going down some possibly wrong roads… stick with your plan.

My advice? Let's put it this way. If I had a 35-year-old guy come to me and tell me that he had 7 hours a day (or 35 hours a week) to devote to golf and wanted to get as good as he could get in x years, I'd set up somethingΒ veryΒ different than the plan you've built.

I wouldn't "stand behind you all day saying good, yes, or no." I'd probably only want to see you for an hour a week, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I charge less than most people, but you'd comfortably be under $500/month for my instruction. I too don't value constant instruction/supervision… but I also know how LONG things take to ingrain. Find a simple piece, work on it until it's better, and then move on to the next piece.

I'd limit play to about 7-8 of those 35 hours. It's simply a volume thing - you can't get the volume you can and thus ingrain things as well when you hit a driver and then 20 minutes later hit another one, with random shots in between.

One part of this experiment is to see if I can train myself using all the available data points I have access to. Don't think that I just bought a TrackMan, took it to the range and wondered what all those numbers mean. As soon as I got it, I signed up for their TrackMan university and studied their material every evening. Not saying that now I am the non-plus-ultra guru and now EVERYTHING about every number constellation and swing. But doing this every day and learning something new about a topic I have so much passion for is, to be honest, just purely beautiful.

Again, and very simply, I'd find someone to act as a guide of sorts. You'll still obviously do all the work… but a guide will save you so much anguish, stop you from going down the wrong roads, etc.

I just want to make sure that you all understand that I am spending a lot of time now studying golf.

I consider myself to be a damn good golf instructor.

I don't take lessons from myself. I still seek out the input and ideas of other people I trust and know are good.Β So does every other good instructor I know. Hell, it's a whole cottage industry (except it's usually free) - instructors talking with other instructors about their own swings.

I do understand that some of you disagree with my approach and I am here to openly discuss that with you. As long as it is on a professional and respectful level I am open to it. If you just bluntly say that what I do sucks or is stupid, well, I won't really be able to go down that road. The lack of information behind such statements does not allow me to answer very efficiently. First I would have to respond and ask for you to elaborate why you think that way, after hat I would have to wait for your response, read it, think about it, answer it and who has time for that, right? Β ;)

Buy a copy of Lowest Score Wins. It costs roughly 1/1000th of a Trackman, but is worth more. ;-)

1 hour ago, RangeGolfer said:

I have to personally disagree with you when it comes to the, too much playing time. If you look at my about on the website, you can see that I did not pick up golf when I was young. I think it is crucial for my development to get myself into as many situations as possible. It helps me to integrate what I am practicing and also to see where my weaknesses are.

I think you're wrong. I think playing too much can build too many bad habits that you're leaving yourself very little time to correct.

I played golf in Florida with a girl who was playing her second round ever. She was 15. She shot 78 from 6000 yards. She'd spent the previous nine months at the driving range. (Others have similar stories.)

She was Korean, and they have a certain work ethic and all that… I'm sure she spend 3 to 5 hours a day for those nine months hitting balls, putting, etc. But in nine months she'd become a 4 handicapper. From nothing.

I think you can eventually get where you want with such a heavy percentage of your time dedicated to playing, but it's not efficient. You're going to waste a lot of time literally driving around or walking around.

Play is important, but… not five times a week. That's aΒ lotΒ of wasted time.

My rounds aren'tΒ 4 hours. They take me max 2.5 hours. My course is mostly empty. After my round I can analyze my round and think about the weaknesses I would like to address.Β 

I'd caution you against weighting the results of one round too much, too. Small sample sizes.

In 2.5 hours, you're still walking around for about 2.4 of them. That's a mostly wasted 2.4 hours, daily.

Maybe I will go to only playing 9 holes in a few weeks or maybe none at all at certain days. The schedule will dynamically adjust to my game and will be developed by myself and with the input of others, but not hired professionals.

Good. Obviously you know, too, that we can only comment on what we have in front of us.

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ignore almost anything from Jeff. He's a crotchety old guy who hates AimPoint. In one breath he'll tell you it's like cheating (i.e. it's good, and should not be allowed because of how easy it makes reading greens), and then in the next he'll tell you it's inaccurate bullshit. He's a competitor, and he's wrong. He's a crotchety, bitter old pill. And AimPoint is not based on the Templeton book. The Templeton book is well out of date. Mark Sweeney developed his own physics models.

Not everyone has the same value system, @poser. I can see the value in having a launch monitor… I'd have just gotten a Flightscope and saved $15k, myself. :-)

This works too.

I'm not one to say something I can't back up, so basically…

I think you're playing too much golf. I think you're spending too little time on the full swing and too much time putting.

I encourage you to:

• Peruse the "Swing Thoughts" forum here.
  • Buy a copy of LSW.
  • Read LSW. :-)
  • Develop a very harsh filter as 95% of the stuff out there is shit.
  • Keep an open mind, even from people who aren't as "data-centric" as you… they're still ultimately talking about the same game/sport as you are.

Sticking to what you think will work is admirable, but atΒ the same time, know that many have undergone similar journeys, and that you can learn from all types of people, whether they're super-analytical or not.

And realize, too, please that you're not knowledgeable enough yet to have a very good filter. For some basic things, yes, but if you get some building blocks wrong you can spend years and years going down some wrong, long, dusty roads and building a lot of bad things into your swing before you realize the fundamental piece is wrong.

If you're willing to risk the catastrophic… spending years going down some possibly wrong roads… stick with your plan.

My advice? Let's put it this way. If I had a 35-year-old guy come to me and tell me that he had 7 hours a day (or 35 hours a week) to devote to golf and wanted to get as good as he could get in x years, I'd set up somethingΒ veryΒ different than the plan you've built.

I wouldn't "stand behind you all day saying good, yes, or no." I'd probably only want to see you for an hour a week, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I charge less than most people, but you'd comfortably be under $500/month for my instruction. I too don't value constant instruction/supervision… but I also know how LONG things take to ingrain. Find a simple piece, work on it until it's better, and then move on to the next piece.

I'd limit play to about 7-8 of those 35 hours. It's simply a volume thing - you can't get the volume you can and thus ingrain things as well when you hit a driver and then 20 minutes later hit another one, with random shots in between.

Again, and very simply, I'd find someone to act as a guide of sorts. You'll still obviously do all the work… but a guide will save you so much anguish, stop you from going down the wrong roads, etc.

I consider myself to be a damn good golf instructor.

I don't take lessons from myself. I still seek out the input and ideas of other people I trust and know are good.Β So does every other good instructor I know. Hell, it's a whole cottage industry (except it's usually free) - instructors talking with other instructors about their own swings.

Buy a copy of Lowest Score Wins. It costs roughly 1/1000th of a Trackman, but is worth more. ;-)

I think you're wrong. I think playing too much can build too many bad habits that you're leaving yourself very little time to correct.

I played golf in Florida with a girl who was playing her second round ever. She was 15. She shot 78 from 6000 yards. She'd spent the previous nine months at the driving range. (Others have similar stories.)

She was Korean, and they have a certain work ethic and all that… I'm sure she spend 3 to 5 hours a day for those nine months hitting balls, putting, etc. But in nine months she'd become a 4 handicapper. From nothing.

I think you can eventually get where you want with such a heavy percentage of your time dedicated to playing, but it's not efficient. You're going to waste a lot of time literally driving around or walking around.

Play is important, but… not five times a week. That's aΒ lotΒ of wasted time.

I'd caution you against weighting the results of one round too much, too. Small sample sizes.

In 2.5 hours, you're still walking around for about 2.4 of them. That's a mostly wasted 2.4 hours, daily.

Good. Obviously you know, too, that we can only comment on what we have in front of us.

Β 

@iacas I am really starting to like you! To be honest I am glad I found your site. Hell, maybe in a few months after I am settled again after moving, I will try to convince you to be my online coach.Β :-D

But till that point, I will follow my plan and see what I learn from it. Thx for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.Β 

34 minutes ago, RangeGolfer said:

@iacas I am really starting to like you! To be honest I am glad I found your site. Hell, maybe in a few months after I am settled again after moving, I will try to convince you to be my online coach.Β :-D

But till that point, I will follow my plan and see what I learn from it. Thx for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.Β 

@RangeGolferΒ SomeΒ of us on this site have been around the block so to speak and if we're direct it's because we, well I'll speak for myself, because I,Β but I have a feeling others are the same, I want to help others and save them grief that I've been through. @iacas's Lowest Score WinsΒ basically sums up a lot of experience that took me years to get plus moreΒ and you can get all that in one book which won't take you long to read. Read it and I think you'll have a much better framework from whichΒ toΒ refactorΒ your long term plan.Β 

• Upvote 3

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On my end it looks like something is wrong with my post above no idea why.

Again @RangeGolfer

For golf the most important things are hands, clubhead, Β and a proper swinging motion. Β 

External focus and not data is the key.

The ability to make the complex simple is the mark of true genius.

Thats my opinion (It's really the opinion of Ernest Jones) check it out. Β You can improve very much faster if you keep it simple.

I would avoid too much practice before you understand what a basic swinging motion with the club is (hint a circle on a plane google images explanar) Β In golf the less manipulations you have to do in your swing the better.

Good luck.

Edited by Jack Watson

@RangeGolferI'm glad you are taking to this site! Its a great community!Β The one greatΒ thing you have may also keep you from getting better in a quick time. Information. Trackman gives a lot of information. Your review sessions will give you a lot of information. All ur time practicing gives you information.Β Part of this process, if you haven't learned it already, you'll have to learn to separate how you think when practicing versus when you play, in other words, dont turn into a head-case.Β TheΒ key for a lot of great golfers is that they try to limit how much they think when they are swinging at the ball. You can work and think about your game all you want when you practice but when you play, just swing.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

• Administrator

@RangeGolfer, what would you title this topic if you were me?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

@RangeGolfer, what would you title this topic if you were me?

@iacasΒ If I were you, hmmmm, how about:Β "Crazy German has it all backward!" ...Β :whistle:Β jk

Honestly, I actually like the current title or at least the beginning of it with the connection to the DanPlan. At the end the goals are different and the approaches also. I just think it allows others that skim through the titles to immediately see or understand what this might be about. If they know the DanPlan of course. Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!