IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

@fourputt

I hear what you are saying but all I know is...on my home course...weather walking or riding, if you do not fill your divots, a member will absolutely call you on it and most likely embarass you in front of the group. If you play at a course where people are not as uptight, thats great (no sarcasm). But where I play most of my rounds, the long time members take a lot of pride in the course which I think is awesome and a big part of the reason I love to play there.

As you should have grasped from my post, I have the same respect for my home course, even though it's not a private club.  Most rounds two of us will go through 4 bottles of sand/seed mix by filling all of the divots around us during any waits.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As you should have grasped from my post, I have the same respect for my home course, even though it's not a private club.  Most rounds two of us will go through 4 bottles of sand/seed mix by filling all of the divots around us during any waits.

Im sure you do...I was more show trying to say that someone who walks should be carrying it with them and using it. If, like in your case, a walker is paired with a rider and they can just grab off of their cart then thats great. But if you are walking and in a group of other walkers or playing alone, I would think its best to carry it even if it makes for extra luggage.

Im sure you do...I was more show trying to say that someone who walks should be carrying it with them and using it. If, like in your case, a walker is paired with a rider and they can just grab off of their cart then thats great. But if you are walking and in a group of other walkers or playing alone, I would think its best to carry it even if it makes for extra luggage.

Not all courses use sand/seed mix. I have never seen one in Finland, although I have not seen all...

I think I saw somewhere a study about usefulness (or lack of) of mix.

Not all courses use sand/seed mix. I have never seen one in Finland, although I have not seen all...

I think I saw somewhere a study about usefulness (or lack of) of mix.

That is interesting....and to be completely honest, I am not well versed on exactly how the mix "works". I just know the proper way to fill divots and have always done it, wherever I may end up playing.

I would never take a cart of any kind near the green, that should be a no brainer for anyone who plays golf. I was more so wondering about the middle of the fairways and the spirit of how the 90 degree rule applys. I'm def the last person to worry about in terms of taking care of the course.

I was reading in some other posts about walkers who do not even carry divot mix with them...that's crazy. It's like, since you are walking you are immune from having to fill your divots? Lol

At my course it is not only the riding golf carts (as in motorized ones) that are prohibited from driving between the green and bunkers but all carts including the push carts.

I am referring to push carts. These are prohibited from being pushed between the green and the bunkers.

I've never seen a walker who carries his bag take a sand bottle with him.  That's a very significant weight addition to carry.  Granted that it's supposed to get lighter as the round progresses, it's still an unnecessary extra load.  In that case they should be doing it the old fashioned way by replacing divots as bet they can.

I don't remember ever seeing a course even offer to supply sand back in the 80's.  It's a relatively new addition to the game, and really is aimed at the proliferation of riders who can carry a couple bottles or a scoop bin on the cart without affecting their game.  I know that when I play with a walker, they will often use the sand mix on my cart to repair divots.  I'm okay with that.

On my home course my cart partner and I will sometimes empty our bottles on the front nine.  We fill divots while waiting for the green to clear.  Then we swap out the empties for full bottles for the back nine.

The vast majority of walkers at my course carry sand with them.

Our sand bottles have a "hook" on them that allow them to hang off the golf bags.

There is a sand filling box at the tee box of every hole.

When I walk I fill my bottle to about 1/2 and replenish at every hole.

There is some added weight but not much. The six pack of beers weigh more !

My course doesn't have sand/seed mix available for walkers to carry. It's on the tee decks of par threes, but that's about it. We are all expected to replace our divots after our shots.

Will W

My course doesn't have sand/seed mix available for walkers to carry. It's on the tee decks of par threes, but that's about it. We are all expected to replace our divots after our shots.

I hear ya on replacing divots but...for me personally...I am in NC and during the winter the divot usually breaks into a bunch of pieces, pretty much impossible to replace. Not sure if this has to do with weather or just the type of grass on the course. Regardless, its all brown / light brown now in the winter ;)

Before getting people to fill their divots with a bottle of seed they carry around when walking, I'd like to get people to repair their ball marks, rake the traps, heck not litter on the course first.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Before getting people to fill their divots with a bottle of seed they carry around when walking, I'd like to get people to repair their ball marks, rake the traps, heck not litter on the course first.

Im 100% with ya. Only talking "filling divots" since that is something walkers could potentially have an excuse for not doing (albeit not a reasonable one). It's crazy when I see someone hit a sky high wedge onto a soft green, leave a huge ball mark and just walk right by it when they get to the green...ignoring the monstrosity they just created lol.

I've never seen bottles for carry.  I think that might just be on courses with sandy soil types where a divot disintegrates.  Here any divots are beaver pelts you just pick up and put back in place.  I rarely even see bottles on carts up here.  When I head down south though every single cart has a couple bottles or a container with a scoop.

Brad

I agree with you but at my course that is expected and generally the members take very good care of the course.

Same thing at my club. I've actually never seen sand/seed available for walkers at any course I've ever played. I just replace my divots the traditional way.

Same thing at my club. I've actually never seen sand/seed available for walkers at any course I've ever played. I just replace my divots the traditional way.

I wonder if that is something that is only available in Vancouver?

At my course they have these very nice wooden boxes that hold sand/seed at each tee box.

This is the same for a couple of other courses that I play at in the area.

I know there is a debate as to which is best for the course and a speedy recovery ..... replace divot or fill with seed.

Our head pro tells us to fill with seed and to turn the divot so the soil side is facing up. This allows the mowers to mulch down the divot at the next mowing.

• 3 months later...

I have always used a cart when I'm on the course because my dad has a bad back and doesn't like to walk the entire course. I enjoy walking the course as well as I feel I am embracing the natural aspect of the course. Obviously the cart speeds everything up, but walking allows you to enjoy the course and "smell the roses". I wanted to see what the general consensus was on this topic... cart or walk ?

We must harness the crystiles.

:tmade: Nubbins B7 Putter

:tmade: r7 460 Graphite Driver

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/29544/walking-or-cart layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/21867/power-cart-pull-cart-or-walk layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/50923/do-you-ride-or-walk-the-course layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/72221/walking-vs-riding layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/6553/is-walking-better-than-using-a-golf-cart layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!