IGNORED

My first U.S. Open Local Qualifying Experience

Shooting29
Note: This thread is 2543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's ridiculous how difficult these ratings are.  I was lucky enough to get on free with my former pro at a course that's 

74.9 140 and 7100 yards.  I played from the forward tees which were 69.5 131 and 5975.

I was playing a lot then in the 70's at my home course and I came out around 86.  

The green complexes were brutal.  False fronts and multi tiered greens huge run offs away from the hole-there's no way middle of the green is advantageous when it's like this.  

But I can't imagine playing the tips.  I doubt I'd break a hundred.  That's why I posted a few other things.  People don't realize how good you need to be to take this on.

And wet?!  Ow!

My pro did not play his vintage bag when we played and still shot a couple over with modern gear and it's his home he's played it a lot he knows his lines!  He used to tell me 300 is the new 250.  It's true without the firepower there's no chance and on difficult green complexes you must be accurate also AND you gotta putt.

Another guy I've played with a few times at home is self described as scratch and he does either am or us quals each year (I don't know which)  but when I've played with him he drives long and straight (big tall willowy but athletic) and I've never seen him at home ever hit a 'bad' drive or iron and I don't think he's ever moved on on these quals.  I asked him once his max carry and he said 275.

Some of my experiences are part of the reason I had to kind of call off the excessive practice and desire to get to a higher level.  I am obsessive when I set a goal and I fear I would blow out my back trying.  

Bottom line most average golfers don't often experience higher level golf.  It's an eye opener for sure and I applaud those who are capable of getting out there and competing on courses like these.

To give some perspective to the distance debate, my playing partner during qualifying (who missed the cut by two shots) had an average carry of around 300-310 yards. One of the players that I know who ended up qualifying has about a 300 yard carry distance. 

To reach 500 yard par 4's in 2 shots you have to be able to hit 300 yard drives. You can't be hitting a 3-wood onto the 240 yard par 3's, you need to be hitting 3 or 4 iron. You need to be able to easily reach the 550 yard par 5's, and still have a poke at the 600 yarders. If you can't do those things, you won't be able to keep up with the rest really. 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

What course was this?

I'm interested to know as well. In case I'm ever invited to play there I can think up a reason to say no.

11 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

To give some perspective to the distance debate, my playing partner during qualifying (who missed the cut by two shots) had an average carry of around 300-310 yards. One of the players that I know who ended up qualifying has about a 300 yard carry distance. 

To reach 500 yard par 4's in 2 shots you have to be able to hit 300 yard drives. You can't be hitting a 3-wood onto the 240 yard par 3's, you need to be hitting 3 or 4 iron. You need to be able to easily reach the 550 yard par 5's, and still have a poke at the 600 yarders. If you can't do those things, you won't be able to keep up with the rest really. 

Good points Pretzel. Even guys who can reach with longer clubs can't hit those clubs high enough, or with enough spin, to hold those greens.

Reminds me of something a local greenkeeper told us after he got to play Firestone CC South. This was shortly after John Daly reached the 16th (615 yards, par 5) with a Driver and 2 iron. The greenkeeper told us he had done the very same thing! We began calling him all manner of uncharitable names and he finally relented, admitting that he had to sandwich a really nice 3 wood between those two shots to get the job done!

• Upvote 1

Like I said on a song I once eagled a straightaway downwind firm fairway 530 par five with a long putt.

This was a muni with elevated but pretty flat greens.  On harder courses the greens aren't like that!  For me it's zero chance of reaching and for the good players at higher level they are licking their chops on the tee box.  Different game.

wet conditions add to the mix.  I know one pro online who had won in the persimmon era on a lower level than PGA at way under par but when he tried us open qual in the mod era he did not break 80.

Like I said to me I have taken my medicine and realized golf is just a hobby I do once a week.  I am not capable of what good players do when they are hungover much less in form.

Edited by Jack Watson

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

What course was this?

I played the Pete Dye Club in Bridgeport WV. The tees were on the back of every tee box but number 4 and number 16. Those were played one tee box up but according to the scorecard number 4 is 225 but there was a tee behind us and the placard on that tee said 240 and the distance on our box was 225. Also a new tee was built on number 6, it played 365 not 337. Number 8 played 540 not the 508 on the card. The first picture is of 18 looking from the green back, the next is from the tee forward. The par three is number 7. The screen shot shows the distance from the tee to the fairway on 18.

29ce4949ba26b2c319986de1_l.jpg

PD_18_-_Copy.jpg

pd-18-1.jpg

2487682243_61b2c4f409.jpg

Screenshot_20170516-191114.png

Very good stuff....thanks for sharing

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

14 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Any thoughts on how you could find the extra distance or are you physically maxxed out you think?  Very humbling to read how even 290ish(?) drives wont cut it at those levels. Thanks for posting this.

290 ish drives are good enough at any level. And so is a 270 carry. Both are pretty long if one can actually do it consistently.

Anyway , interesting read. Shows one how tough it actually is as the top and most importantly, how little the margins are between a great score and a bad score.  12/14 fairways is extremely impressive. 

14 hours ago, mdl said:

Funny that a guy with ~270 carry is just too short to compete!  Seems like maybe a new driver with a proper fitting might be worth the money if 290 would put you in the mix!

Half of the PGA Tour Players averages less than 275 yards carry with their driver and they are capable to compete at the PGA !!

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02409.2016.html

It´s not all about distance.

Wow... it's almost crazy to read this.  I can't imagine playing from distances like that.  

I typically play 6200 - 6400 yards.  I've been moved up a flight in the group I play with which means moving further back.  In 2 weeks, we're playing from 6700 yards and I'm honestly worried I won't break 100.  There are 4 (at least) par 4's that I will have either a 4 iron or hybrid into the greens and a par 3 that I may very well play a choked-down driver on.  

My average drive (with roll) is only 235.  My average carry is probably in the 215 range.  I play with a lot of guys that are between 3.0 and 7.0 indexes that drive the ball about 15 yards further than me.  Average drives of about 250 and carries of about 230.  They're all pretty good golfers but I don't think many of them would break 100 on a course like the one shown above.  

Myself?  A 'perfect' round would be a 99.  I'd be lucky to break 110 on an average day there.

I agree that distance isn't everything but it's certainly a big factor.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

• iacas changed the title to My first U.S. Open Local Qualifying Experience
Note: This thread is 2543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now