IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note:Β This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

Better, no?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

Better, no?

Do you think so? Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. Β 

What are your thoughts on my posture in these latest swings? Is it proper yet in your opinion?Β 

Β 

Got out to the range with my son today. Β I've been working on the same things....posture, wall drill, temp (perpetual motion drill), lots of garage swings but I am including a foam ball now in order to help me see clubface orientation on my practice swings. Β 

Some good, some bad as always. Β Here is the latest look at the swing (My phone glitched out on the 7i face view and wouldn't work after that)

Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Antneye said:

Do you think so? Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. Β 

Yes. Β 

As a comparison, I posted my first video here in early April, and got some instruction about changing my set-up. Β I worked on that for a month, and made progress. Β When @iacasΒ was here in early May for a TST get-together, I got the next installment. Β So for 6 or 7 weeks now, I've been really working on just one thing. Β Its been slow progress, but steady, and I'm starting to believe I'm doing things right, but still have a ways to go. Β I took some video Wednesday, and haven't posted it yet. Β But my real message is that it takes time to change habits. Β While you're making changes, you may feel like you're hitting it worse, but if you're doing the right things, you'll get better. Β Keep at it, and trust the eyes of the people who know what they're doing.

Keep it up, and good luck!

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm sure that the optimism of this post will ultimately get tempered by the reality that I still have a ton of work to do to create a consistent, repeatable swing, but I had a great range session yesterday.Β 

I was far from perfect, but for the first time since I started on this journey I found myself not thinking about some of the basic mechanics that I have been working on. Well, I was thinking about it, but it just felt like it was far more natural and I was able to be much more fluid on my swings. My irons were mostly in a fairly tight directional cone and I was hitting them much more solid. The chunks that had crept in were mostly gone and my misses were good misses that wouldn't leave me with a lost ball.Β 

Where I was most excited was with the consistency of my ball flight on my driver. Gone was the two way miss and most of my shots were draws that started out on line and went left or slight pull draws that were just a tick more left. With the swing feeling good I started playing around with my ball position and focused on how I was setting up to the ball in order to try to be more consistent with the ball location. The result was that I was able to get the ball to start out on a better line and the draws where mostly in a cone that would have me up the left side of the fairway or, at worst, just off.Β 

Lots of work to do, but I'm seeing results (at least on the range). Β Hopefully this wasn't an aberration.Β 

First two things that stood out to me when I watched the first video– 1. your weight goes to your toes at the beginning of the backswingΒ and stays there which is probably what causes your head to move so much. 2. Shaft is super steep in the downswing which probably why you have some early extension. Just your body compensating so that you don't hit some insanely errant shots

(edited)
7 hours ago, gogreen03 said:

First two things that stood out to me when I watched the first video– 1. your weight goes to your toes at the beginning of the backswingΒ and stays there which is probably what causes your head to move so much. 2. Shaft is super steep in the downswing which probably why you have some early extension. Just your body compensating so that you don't hit some insanely errant shots

Yeah, my balance was way out of whack. I think it is much improved with the adjustments I have made.Β 

Constant work doing the wall drill has been a big help.Β 

Edited by Antneye

(edited)

I was able to get out for a round with a work colleague yesterday afternoon.Β  My range session in warm-ups might have been my best ever and I went to the course feeling great.Β  The result?Β  Not quite as good as the range session, but there were just so many positives:

1) Achieved one of my mini-goals that I cannot remember having achieved in at least a year: Not one triple bogey or worse the entire round.

2) Driver was erratic but much improved.Β  My misses were more than I would have liked, but they were not resulting in lost balls.Β  Most of my misses were either just off the fairway or slightly into the tree line allowing me a safe punch that gave me a shot to the green.Β  Only one of my drives resulted in a penalty stroke and that was a shot that I got off the toe and popped up short and on the right edge of the fairway.Β  Unfortunately it went just far enough to land in a creek that cut across the fairway about 150 yards out.Β  I faded with the driver a bit down the stretch and started hitting everything off the toe.Β  I think I know the cause and will be playing with it on my next range session.

3) Irons were the crispest I have ever hit them in terms of direction.Β  I feel as if I have lost some distance across all irons, but that may just be due to how deliberate I am swinging and I am hoping that as I get more mechanically comfortable I will be able to reclaim my distance.

4) I hit more bunkers than usual.Β Β  How is this a positive?Β  Well, the fact that my direction was so much improved, I was getting a lot closer to the green on my approach shots rather than hitting big pulls or slices that left me way right or left of the green.Β  This coupled with the slight reduction in distance had me finding more than my usual number of green side bunkers.Β  Thankfully my sand game is fairly consistent.

4) 3 penalty strokes: Still to high, but a far cry from the 6 or 7 I have been seeing since my game fell apart.Β  As I said, one was a popped up driver.Β  One of the other two was a hybrid which just went straight to the right.Β  No idea what happened on that swing.Β  The other was a nice 5i layup on a par 5 setting up my 3rd to the green.Β  That ball faded just a bit and then caught a bad bounce which put it in a water runoff gully just off the right side of the fairway.Β  I was not expecting a lost ball until I walked up and saw how much the ground ran off to the right just off the fairway.

5) Putting was solid and I could have scored a few strokes better if not for a couple puts that came a quarter rotation from falling.

Final score of a 95 (46-49).Β  If I had not faded a bit on the final 5 holes I was well on my way to a low 90.

Me and my buddy were tied on 18 so the starter let us play #1 again for a playoff and I pushed the tee shot right.Β  Seeing that he was in the fairway and I could not see the green because of a tree I decided to get fancy and try to cut an 8i around the tree.Β  This proved to be way too fancy and I ended up going straight across the fairway and left myself with a difficult punch with no backswing.Β  Ended up with my first triple on the playoff hole.Β  I would have never tried that shot if I was still playing for score.

Β 

Bottom line: Swing seems much improved and the scores are starting to come down.Β  I need to get a video up soon just as a sanity check to make sure I am still on the right track mechanically.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Antneye

Quick update.... Went out to the range on lunch to work on my driver a bit. Finally feel like I have my ball position and distance from ball worked out for the most part. I also made one other change.Β 

It dawned on me that my Cobra F7 was set up for a draw bias when I was fitted for it, but that was before I made my swing changes. I moved the set up to neutral and found that my flight moved to a slight fade with my misses being push fades when I didn't get my club head square at impact. I'm going to leave it like this for a little while and see how it works out.Β 

OK...I'm a moron.Β  I looked at my driver this morning and realized that I did not have it set up in the neutral position that I thought I had.Β  It was set up with the weight in the rear, which is meant for folks needing some help getting the ball in the air.Β  I can say that the feature certainly works because I never hit my driver as I high as I was hitting them yesterday.Β  Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the weight forward.

Tons of garage swings and wall drills on the agenda for today

Let's just say that my driver belongs in the draw bias configuration......it only lasted around 10 swings before I could bare to look any longer. Β Even with the improvement in my swing everything was cutting left once I had the weight moved back to a neutral position. Β I guess that is great evidence that I still have a lot of work to do regardless of my improvement.

I had a really interesting round of Golf today. Β I played at Edgewater in Lancaster S.C. Β When I got to the range I could not even hit a golf ball straight. Β It looked as if I had never swung a club before. Β After a bunch of swings I just gave up and tried to hit a few drivers just to do something different. Β Those went well so I just walked off to the green, made a few putts and headed out to the first tee expecting a long, miserable round. Β Fortunately I had the driver working early and I got out of the gate fast with three straight pars en route to a front nine 43 that was my 3rd straight triple free nine. Β Even with the good score on the front I never really got the irons going and I was fighting them the whole time.

As I headed to ten I tried not to think of my score and just wanted to keep finding fairways off the tee, but I started losing the driver as well which led to an erratic back 9. Β I tripled ten and then settled down a bit for a few holes, but then I went double double after missing two consecutive 3 footers for bogey, and then I blew up and took a snowman after hitting two out of a trap and then duffing a chip shot. Β The only saving grace on the back was a 25' putt for birdie on 17 which made the round.

Final score 43-51 94.

Scores are moving in the right direction.

I've been away on Hilton Head for a family vacation so I have not done much in the way of practicing, but I did get in a couple of rounds. Β Overall I played so-so and my scores were mostly due to some great scrambling and a putter that is really dialed in right now. Β My trouble all stemmed from the driver. I am right back to big push slices and I have no idea why. Β I just could not keep my driver in play. Β I need to get some video up but I am struggling to find the time right now.

This game is so damn frustrating.

Β 

I was able to convince my son to come to the range and film some swings. Β Right now I feel like I am regressing. Β My Irons are just not crisp at all. Β I am starting to hit them very fat or with a big fade. Β My Driver has become a big push/slice. Β I did not capture it on video, but I made a slight adjustment today when I thought that I had started putting the ball too far back in my stance. Β That seemed to work to straighten it out a bit but it isn't the first time I have thought I figured my driver out on the range only to find out it is stiilΒ a mess.

HELP!!!!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I just played in a golf outing... Best ball format. It may have been the best day I have ever had off the tees. I walked up to the first tee and hit a horrendous drive. One of the players who is a scratch golfer tells me that my swing looked technically sound but my head was moving way too forward on the downswing. He tells me to take some practice swingsΒ and holds his hand on my forehead as I take those swings. I do it, and he says repeat that on the next hole and you have no reason not to hit the ball solid. It was basically all of the things I have been working on, but for some reason it helped me feel it better than I have so far.

The result? I proceed to hit 4 drives down the middle between 270 and 275. My other drives were all in the fairway or just off in the 240-250 range. I have never had a day like this with the driver. Β I really hope it wasn't just a one time thing because when I look back I'm not really sure I can state what I was doing differently. It just kind of all came together today. I wish I had been playing my own ball. I feel like there is no way I wouldn't have shot in the 80's today.Β 

Interesting note..... It took me a while to get going with my irons. I was hitting them fat or topping them on the range. Then I moved my aim point about one ball forward of the ball and I was right back to hitting them solid like I had been. I am never quite sure what I should be looking at on my iron shots and seem to jump around depending on how I am swinging. Β I'm sure that can't be a good thing.

I was traveling for work today so I decided to pull over on the way and squeeze a round in. Β I was really interested to see if I would strike the ball as well as I was during the scramble I played in. Β The round was very rushed as I was chasing daylight and I had no warm-ups of any kind. Β I was thrilled to see that I still had the driver firing on all cylinders and my irons were even better than the other day. Β I probably left about 5 strokes out there because I was just walking up to every putt and not even trying to line them up. Β The round was just about seeing if the other day was a fluke or whether it may all be finally coming together.

I ended up going 46-45 for a 91. Β To be fair I took a few liberties (one mulligan on the back when I found myself really rushing and just put a horrendous swing on the ball, and another on a putt that I literally just walked up to and should have easily made, but I'm not really even caring about the score being 100% accurate since it was such a race around the track. Β I got 18 complete in about 2:30.

I cannot believe the way I am hitting my driver. Β It is the best I have ever hit it. Β Pure, solid, mostly down the middle and long. Β It does not get much better than this on a golf course.

I am really encouraged that with some work I will be getting my handicap to my short term target of 18 before long. Β Hoping to play a round for score on Tuesday if work cooperates.

I have to admit to being genuinely giddy over my last two rounds. I really want to get some video up of the way I am swinging to see if it is any different than my recent videos. I feel as if I am really staying steady with my head. None of my old faults are showing up in terms of the result, but until I get some video up and receive some feedback on it I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!