Jump to content
Foot Wedge

Distance from Fluffy Lies

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I played the same course twice within a week, and both drives went just left of the fairway into fluffy light rough to about 100 yards from the green.  Being a downhill approach shot that put it into range for my 58* wedge and both shots seemed to go on line, but a bit higher and land 10 yards short of the green.  Two similar shots almost a week apart landing within 3 yards of each other.  My question is, does the fluffy lie cut down on distance?  It felt like the wedge almost slid under the ball since it was sitting up some.  I'm not sure it's the lie or me, I remember both swings feeling good until I saw the ball flight.  It may be a lesson in club selection for the future.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

What usually happens is pretty much what you felt.  The club head gets a bit under the ball and you end up hitting the ball a little higher on the club face.  The ball simply doesn't travel as far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, though depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Fluffy lies are one of the most inconsistent lies to get. I rather have the ball sitting down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yes, though depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Usually just about the time you think you're gonna "get smart" and allow for less distance...

;-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

What usually happens is pretty much what you felt.  The club head gets a bit under the ball and you end up hitting the ball a little higher on the club face.  The ball simply doesn't travel as far.

 

Ok that makes sense, would clubbing up be the right choice then? Unless...

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Does this happen when grass is between the clubface and the ball which cuts down the spin?  In this situation, it was a spongy grass with the ball sitting unobstructed on top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Foot Wedge said:

Does this happen when grass is between the clubface and the ball which cuts down the spin?  In this situation, it was a spongy grass with the ball sitting unobstructed on top of it.

I think loss of distance that you described is a result of hitting the ball high on the clubface, not on the "sweet spot", so you don't get optimum energy transfer.  I think the "flyer" that can result from the same lie is a shot that's impacted near the sweet spot, with a loss of spin from the grass between club and ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think loss of distance that you described is a result of hitting the ball high on the clubface, not on the "sweet spot", so you don't get optimum energy transfer.  I think the "flyer" that can result from the same lie is a shot that's impacted near the sweet spot, with a loss of spin from the grass between club and ball.  

So I guess club choice would be based off what I THINK is likely to happen.  Maybe the fix is to just hit the damn fairway!  Thanks for the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/15/2017 at 7:49 AM, Foot Wedge said:

I played the same course twice within a week, and both drives went just left of the fairway into fluffy light rough to about 100 yards from the green.  Being a downhill approach shot that put it into range for my 58* wedge and both shots seemed to go on line, but a bit higher and land 10 yards short of the green.  Two similar shots almost a week apart landing within 3 yards of each other.  My question is, does the fluffy lie cut down on distance?  It felt like the wedge almost slid under the ball since it was sitting up some.  I'm not sure it's the lie or me, I remember both swings feeling good until I saw the ball flight.  It may be a lesson in club selection for the future.  Thanks! 

Yes I agree pretty much with what the others have stated. When the ball is sitting up like that you will tend to hit more underneath it. This is the same reason why I like to play the flop shot(Aka the Phil Mickelson shot) because it is so easy to lay the face open and sweep right underneath the ball. Even when you are nicely squared up you will stay hit the ball further up on the club. Especially if you use more of a sweep hitting technique. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, DaveP043 said:

I think loss of distance that you described is a result of hitting the ball high on the clubface, not on the "sweet spot", so you don't get optimum energy transfer.  I think the "flyer" that can result from the same lie is a shot that's impacted near the sweet spot, with a loss of spin from the grass between club and ball.  

BINGO! We have a winner! It all depends upon the type of grass you encounter. Some grasses are very stiff and wiry, and the ball will sit up on top of them. There's a of of air under the ball. So much so, that you can shoot your clubhead beneath the ball, and catch it only on the very top of the clubface. You wind up short.

Other types of grasses allow the ball to settle in. These give you the classic "flyers". Plus some really sticky situation if you're close to the green.

Now that you've seen this situation a couple of times, you should be able to recognize it and adjust accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2018 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
  • Posts

    • Today I started using mine to practice on the carpet at home.
      Primarily for chipping and checking impact and flight direction. That helps me adjust my grip/clubhead angle. Their weight and material will obviously result in a different distance when hit in comparison to a regular golf ball. Therefore I would only use it for occasional practice at home.
    • So a local cadie who cadies the course whole year round, knows less about the course then a pro caddie who visits the course once a year (for a week). Or even less because the pro’s don’t play the course every year.                                     And about not speaking English, what do we know for sure? Even caddies in Marroko at mediocre courses speak enough English, at least enough to caddie. And Matt doesn’t speak a word Mexican/Spanish too? People find ways to communicate.                                             One way or an other, Kuchar was at the top of his form. The way the caddie acted could be more important then is given credit for.
    • 72 last week at TPC Summerlin from the TPC tees (6400) in maybe one of the coldest conditions I've ever played in. 71 today back home, hit 15 greens. Missed four birdie putts within 5ft and got a bad break where I drove it into a bunker and it plugged in the lip (made bogey). Not bad for the range being closed and only getting to practice once this week and not much last week either. This was my drive on 15, and it wasn't like it was a high fade, solid medium flight draw.  
    • Yeah it was a dumb move PR wise to not be very generous with the bonus.  Can't really compare the usual rate with that week with Ortiz, completely different situations. John Wood is there for him every minute of every week, scouting the course beforehand, getting yardages, mapping greens and paying for his own travel. They can also act as emotional "support" and the good ones figure out when to give it and when to hold back. Ortiz is nowhere close to building up that "sweat equity" to earn 10%. If I was John Wood I would have been very insulted if my guy paid a temp caddy 120K.  
    • “How much should you pay?” questions tend to select responses. How much should you pay for a car? Obviously the guy who paid over a million for his McLaren doesn’t think everyone should; that’s the whole point of having one. Likewise, the guys with the $2k custom Scottys want something exclusive.   So it makes sense that most of the responses are $300 or less. If you just want to make putts, and know basically what you need in terms of length and style (mallet, blade, etc.), I don’t think you need to spend more than $100 on ebay. I’ve sold several perfectly serviceable and respectably branded putters for less.   Personally, I paid $350 for my Evnroll ER5, which I love. I like it so much that I’m going to spend even more for the black one when it becomes available. It was a subtle difference between the ER5 and my Ping Tyne ($189, I think), that it replaced. But given a choice, I’d choose the Evnroll every time. I can’t afford — and have no desire — to run with the big dogs when it comes to putters. And if I couldn’t afford a $350 putter, I think I’d do ok with any of the ones that I sold. But it’s a hobby, and it could be worse. I could be collecting large stationary engines.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Beyersdoerfer
      Beyersdoerfer
      (21 years old)
    2. choppineapple
      choppineapple
      (35 years old)
    3. drewgolfer
      drewgolfer
      (33 years old)
    4. Inferno2ss
      Inferno2ss
      (49 years old)

×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...