IGNORED

Distance from Fluffy Lies

Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played the same course twice within a week, and both drives went just left of the fairway into fluffy light rough to about 100 yards from the green.  Being a downhill approach shot that put it into range for my 58* wedge and both shots seemed to go on line, but a bit higher and land 10 yards short of the green.  Two similar shots almost a week apart landing within 3 yards of each other.  My question is, does the fluffy lie cut down on distance?  It felt like the wedge almost slid under the ball since it was sitting up some.  I'm not sure it's the lie or me, I remember both swings feeling good until I saw the ball flight.  It may be a lesson in club selection for the future.  Thanks!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What usually happens is pretty much what you felt.  The club head gets a bit under the ball and you end up hitting the ball a little higher on the club face.  The ball simply doesn't travel as far.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yes, though depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Fluffy lies are one of the most inconsistent lies to get. I rather have the ball sitting down. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yes, though depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Usually just about the time you think you're gonna "get smart" and allow for less distance...

;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

What usually happens is pretty much what you felt.  The club head gets a bit under the ball and you end up hitting the ball a little higher on the club face.  The ball simply doesn't travel as far.

Ok that makes sense, would clubbing up be the right choice then? Unless...

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

depending on the type of contact you can actually see a distance increase if you catch a fier. 

Does this happen when grass is between the clubface and the ball which cuts down the spin?  In this situation, it was a spongy grass with the ball sitting unobstructed on top of it.

Diego’s Gear

1 hour ago, Foot Wedge said:

Does this happen when grass is between the clubface and the ball which cuts down the spin?  In this situation, it was a spongy grass with the ball sitting unobstructed on top of it.

I think loss of distance that you described is a result of hitting the ball high on the clubface, not on the "sweet spot", so you don't get optimum energy transfer.  I think the "flyer" that can result from the same lie is a shot that's impacted near the sweet spot, with a loss of spin from the grass between club and ball.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think loss of distance that you described is a result of hitting the ball high on the clubface, not on the "sweet spot", so you don't get optimum energy transfer.  I think the "flyer" that can result from the same lie is a shot that's impacted near the sweet spot, with a loss of spin from the grass between club and ball.  

So I guess club choice would be based off what I THINK is likely to happen.  Maybe the fix is to just hit the damn fairway!  Thanks for the input.

Diego’s Gear

On 6/15/2017 at 7:49 AM, Foot Wedge said:

I played the same course twice within a week, and both drives went just left of the fairway into fluffy light rough to about 100 yards from the green.  Being a downhill approach shot that put it into range for my 58* wedge and both shots seemed to go on line, but a bit higher and land 10 yards short of the green.  Two similar shots almost a week apart landing within 3 yards of each other.  My question is, does the fluffy lie cut down on distance?  It felt like the wedge almost slid under the ball since it was sitting up some.  I'm not sure it's the lie or me, I remember both swings feeling good until I saw the ball flight.  It may be a lesson in club selection for the future.  Thanks! 

Yes I agree pretty much with what the others have stated. When the ball is sitting up like that you will tend to hit more underneath it. This is the same reason why I like to play the flop shot(Aka the Phil Mickelson shot) because it is so easy to lay the face open and sweep right underneath the ball. Even when you are nicely squared up you will stay hit the ball further up on the club. Especially if you use more of a sweep hitting technique. Just my opinion.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, DaveP043 said:

BINGO! We have a winner! It all depends upon the type of grass you encounter. Some grasses are very stiff and wiry, and the ball will sit up on top of them. There's a of of air under the ball. So much so, that you can shoot your clubhead beneath the ball, and catch it only on the very top of the clubface. You wind up short.

Other types of grasses allow the ball to settle in. These give you the classic "flyers". Plus some really sticky situation if you're close to the green.

Now that you've seen this situation a couple of times, you should be able to recognize it and adjust accordingly.

Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!