IGNORED

Getting a New Bag for Fathers Day

Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm apparently getting a new bag for Fathers Day, which is good because my current bag is definitely FUBAR. I know this because the wife told me so and she wanted to make sure she didn't buy me something I didn't like.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Sun Mountain C130s, though not necessarily this year's model. I wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with it or with other bags that are comparable.

I like that it's got more storage than I need even though I'll still manage to stuff it to the gills. I also like the 14 way full length dividers (my current bag has them as well), but it doesn't have a putter well which I'm kind of disappointed in. I know it's a bit heavier than most stand bags but I don't care about the weight because I don't carry - I walk with a pull cart that I'd like to upgrade in the near future.

The biggest draw for me is that it's basically a cart bag with legs. My current bag doesn't have legs and it sucks when I go to the range. I hate putting my bag on the ground and I have to because it falls over so easily. I didn't put too much thought into this when I got it and now I know better.

I guess that's pretty much it. Please offer any advice, experiences, or suggestions you may have, thanks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Find a range with bag stands! :-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@billchao I've been looking at the C130 for a year now.  I've almost bought one several times, but just can't seem to pull the trigger due to the small cooler pocket size.  If that's not something you care about as much, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Find a range with bag stands! :-) 

I'm happy anytime I find a grass range. Not going to nitpick about stands :-P

21 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@billchao I've been looking at the C130 for a year now.  I've almost bought one several times, but just can't seem to pull the trigger due to the small cooler pocket size.  If that's not something you care about as much, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I like the C130 but I feel like the whole lack of legs thing is a deal breaker for me. Funny it's not like it comes up that often during the course of the year but when it does, I just can't stand laying the bag down on the ground. I play early in the mornings so dew is always a factor.

The C130S is pretty much the same bag as far as I can tell, minus a couple of pockets. The cooler pocket isn't important to me, but full length apparel pockets sure are. Are there less of them on the C130S than the C130? I might be willing to give up legs for that. I like to have an extra pullover or windbreaker and rain gear stashed away at all times just in case.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I use the C130 (older model) cart bag and like it for the most part. Holds a ton of stuff and works fairly well on my push cart. We also do not have the bag stands on my range and I didn't know there was a cart bag out there with stands, which makes me want this one.

Also there is a separate putter well. Were you talking about an external well?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I'm happy anytime I find a grass range. Not going to nitpick about stands :-P

I like the C130 but I feel like the whole lack of legs thing is a deal breaker for me. Funny it's not like it comes up that often during the course of the year but when it does, I just can't stand laying the bag down on the ground. I play early in the mornings so dew is always a factor.

The C130S is pretty much the same bag as far as I can tell, minus a couple of pockets. The cooler pocket isn't important to me, but full length apparel pockets sure are. Are there less of them on the C130S than the C130? I might be willing to give up legs for that. I like to have an extra pullover or windbreaker and rain gear stashed away at all times just in case.

Totally missed that you were looking at the "S".  Sorry about that.  I don't think I've seen that version in person, but maybe I should.

You are going to have to love it...no matter what it is.  Dads don't get thrown many bones.  Take the opportunity to "request" what you actually want.  It will cost you regardless.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I'm apparently getting a new bag for Fathers Day, which is good because my current bag is definitely FUBAR. I know this because the wife told me so and she wanted to make sure she didn't buy me something I didn't like.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Sun Mountain C130s, though not necessarily this year's model. I wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with it or with other bags that are comparable.

I like that it's got more storage than I need even though I'll still manage to stuff it to the gills. I also like the 14 way full length dividers (my current bag has them as well), but it doesn't have a putter well which I'm kind of disappointed in. I know it's a bit heavier than most stand bags but I don't care about the weight because I don't carry - I walk with a pull cart that I'd like to upgrade in the near future.

The biggest draw for me is that it's basically a cart bag with legs. My current bag doesn't have legs and it sucks when I go to the range. I hate putting my bag on the ground and I have to because it falls over so easily. I didn't put too much thought into this when I got it and now I know better.

I guess that's pretty much it. Please offer any advice, experiences, or suggestions you may have, thanks.

Im not getting a bag for Father's Day lucky you! However, I have been looking at upgrading my bag and want a stand bag for basically the same reason as you. I also like the 14 way top divider but it's hard to find a stand bag with the 14 way. I have found a bag I like you may be interested in it's a silencer bag I believe ogio makes it. Never had an ogio bag so not sure how well they hold up but looks good... just something to look at

I went ahead with the C130S and it came in today. Haven't had time to mess around with but I think I'm really going to like it. Will have to find some time during the week to swap everything over and see what's going to fit where. Thanks for the responses everyone.5202017203634.jpg

• Upvote 2

Bill

My Swing Thread

I have a C130 cart bag that is a few years old but it is a complete beast. I think it is too heavy but I do like the way it holds the clubs.

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!