IGNORED

My Swing (klineka)

klineka

Very pleased with the changes that are happening in my swing right now. Main areas of focus right now are more knee bend/more vertical torso at address, turning hips properly, left knee not diving inwards, right knee not spinning outwards. Sounds like a lot but they're all related. Adding knee bend at address has made a world of difference so far.

May/June -

DTL May.pngFO June.png

Today - (Half-ish speed swings hitting an "almost golf" ball)

DTL 1-5.pngFO 1-5.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

More practice today. Plenty of room to improve but I don't hate where my swing is at right now either. Hitting the almost golf balls again. 

Daily practice focusing on more knee bend and more vertical torso has it starting to feel quite normal already. Slowly adding in some hip turn feelings too.

Hit a few 5 and 7irons of the P7MC while testing some wedges at Golf Galaxy yesterday and the strikes were very solid, better than I expected especially with a slightly less forgiving iron than what I'm used to.

Given your results you're clearly a more talented golfer than I am, so take this for what it's worth. Are you not concerned with how being too steep and hands too far to the right (from this view) at these two spots? In my latest round of coaching that was probably the biggest piece my coach had me work on. For me I'd worked previously on not being as steep at ~A5 but looked a lot like you at ~A9, and still sometimes looked only slightly less steep than below at ~A5. And my misses were also push-fade with longer clubs and block/push with shorter clubs.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.24.08 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.24.36 AM.png

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

19 minutes ago, mdl said:

Are you not concerned with how being too steep and hands too far to the right (from this view) at these two spots?

Oh I've absolutely always been concerned with how steep I am, which is part of the (silly) reason I hadn't been filming my swing as much as I should have, simply because I hated how my swing looked on video. Recently I just decided to suck it up and accepted it's not a picture perfect swing right now but the only way it will get better is with continually filming and practice.

I'm not a golf coach, but I know my Evolvr coach knows/can see that I'm steep and probably a non-optimal hand position on the downswing. If I had to guess as to why we didn't jump straight to fixing that, I believe that some of that steepness is an effect of me doing other things incorrectly like setup, leg sequencing, shoulder steepness, etc. and that when I get those address/backswing pieces corrected then it will allow me to get into the proper downswing position(s) easier. (At least that is what I think/hope is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong there @iacas) I'm sure I could manipulate the club and shallow it on the way down, but it would just be shallowing for the sake of shallowing and always be temporary and fighting my body if I didn't fix the stuff that comes before the downswing.

When I see my swing on video I'm often shocked how well I can hit the ball given how my swing looks. 

2 hours ago, klineka said:

When I see my swing on video I'm often shocked how well I can hit the ball given how my swing looks. 

For what it's worth, I am the exact same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I wish I could hit that well with my non optimal swing! Yeah the coaches I’ve seen started with my back swing and down swing too. I guess I should take it is a positive that my new coach in my most recent set of lessons felt that was good enough that my biggest issue was throwing my hands out and finishing super steep instead getting a bit more body rotation and finishing more on plane🤷‍♂️😆

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

54 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

For what it's worth, I am the exact same way.

I quit mid-summer about 10 years ago when I saw a video my daughter made for me as a B-Day gift. I was thinking "I do that in public"? I felt I looked like as if I was being tasered or having an epileptic seizure. My swing has gotten much better, but still, it can be a little hard to watch

Added in some feeling of hip turn/moving the belt buckle today with the feelings from Evolvr and I really like how this looks so far. It feels compact throughout my entire lower half and repeatable which I like. 

On 1/8/2024 at 3:08 PM, klineka said:

Oh I've absolutely always been concerned with how steep I am, which is part of the (silly) reason I hadn't been filming my swing as much as I should have, simply because I hated how my swing looked on video. Recently I just decided to suck it up and accepted it's not a picture perfect swing right now but the only way it will get better is with continually filming and practice.

I'm not a golf coach, but I know my Evolvr coach knows/can see that I'm steep and probably a non-optimal hand position on the downswing. If I had to guess as to why we didn't jump straight to fixing that, I believe that some of that steepness is an effect of me doing other things incorrectly like setup, leg sequencing, shoulder steepness, etc. and that when I get those address/backswing pieces corrected then it will allow me to get into the proper downswing position(s) easier. (At least that is what I think/hope is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong there @iacas) I'm sure I could manipulate the club and shallow it on the way down, but it would just be shallowing for the sake of shallowing and always be temporary and fighting my body if I didn't fix the stuff that comes before the downswing.

I think it's shocking what you can get away with a good grip and soft hands. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing major on the swing change front, still grinding away at the same priority pieces. 

Getting the equipment dialed in for this season now. Did a top of the bag fitting in the fall and was able to keep my current driver head but swapped out the driver shaft into a Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7X which has been phenomenal so far and for the 3 wood and hybrid I was fit into the Cobra Aerojet LS which I hadn't purchased yet. The Darkspeed lineup came out from Cobra and I absolutely loved the finish so I hit some balls with the Darkspeed LS 3 wood and got the numbers I was expecting to see, averaged 244 carry on smooth swings and one that carried 258 when I really went after it. I sold/traded in some clubs to help offset the cost and pulled the trigger on the Darkspeed LS 3 wood with the HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70X shaft and Darkspeed 3 Hybrid with the Mitsubishi MMT 80X shaft.

They should be here in the next couple weeks before I head to Las Vegas in early March where I will be playing Wolf Creek to officially start my 2024 season.

No plans to change anything else in the bag right now except maybe a couple new grips on a few clubs. 

Will most likely be switching golf balls to the Srixon Z Star XV too, I played a couple rounds with it towards the end of last season and it performed really well for me, lower spin off the tee and significantly more durable than the TP5x I had been playing the past few years.

Have taken advantage of the nice weather and have had a couple outdoor range sessions this past week.

Driver has continued to be incredible, dead straight to slightly falling right, nothing drawing or hooking and a nice high penetrating ball flight.

Irons have been pretty good for early Feb, straight to slight pull fades which is where I want to be. Mid and long irons have been better than the past so that's a good sign.

100-130yd wedge shots have been good, need to to a full gapping session and dial in my yardages again inside 100 as I have been all over the place with those so far this year.

Still keeping my priority pieces in mind when hitting, working towards blending the garage work/feels with real outdoor swings. Have hit a few shanks especially early into the last 2 sessions but I've got a couple feels that seemed to help eliminate those as the sessions progressed.

Received the Cobra 3 wood and 3 Hybrid yesterday and took them to the range today.

Those things have some serious speed in them.

3 Hybrid I averaged 241 carry with 110.8mph avg clubhead speed.

3 Wood I averaged 254 carry with 117.1mph avg clubhead speed.

Missed a few out to the right at the beginning but that was more my swing and alignment than the club. Once I made sure I was aligned properly and got my feelings down the ball flight was exactly what I want, straight balls that faded slightly.

Going to need to fill the gap between my 5 iron and 3 hybrid now, probably with a P790 4iron as I struggle to hit my P770 4iron now but hit a buddies P790 and it fit perfect in that 225-230 range.

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting used to the Cobra clubs/new shafts. The good ones are phenomenal, but have had a few off the planet left pull hooks with both hybrid and 3 wood, which I absolutely do not want to see, I want to see a fairly neutral flight with it falling right and the big miss be to the right. Tweaked a couple things towards the end of my session like ball position and alignment and that seemed to help some so it's possible that I'm just naturally wanting to line these up differently for some reason. Will keep working on those and making sure I dial them in over the next few weeks before Vegas.

Got my 54/58 wedges re-gripped and loft/lies checked. The club guy said they had both gotten a bit flatter over time so got those bent back to standard. Immediately noticed a difference with my 54 start line/accuracy.

Couple swings here with foam balls. Still working on setup pieces mostly but am fairly pleased with my swing overall at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I walked 9 holes at my home course playing to temporary greens. Played the back 9 which is by far the more difficult 9 for driving and I hit 6/7 fairways which I have never done before on that 9 holes. Driver is extremely consistent and repeatable right now, even the ones I mishit and expected to be offline I looked up and they were dead straight falling slightly right.

Wedges were very solid as well, hit 5 wedges from 75-125 to within 15 feet of the temporary pins. Couple of those were within 5 feet too. Multiple of them were in between yardages too so that gives me a ton of confidence I was able to execute those partial wedges.

Hit a couple shots with the Cobra 3 wood and hybrid and they were all very solid, basically no curve and far, great signs.

Playing first actual 18 hole round tomorrow looking forward to getting the season started.

• 4 weeks later...

Have played 2 18 hole rounds and a 4 man scramble so far this year. Not giving too much stock to the bad shots I hit in the 4 man scramble since it was damp, ~35 degrees, 15+mph sustained wind, and I was going for shots and flags I wouldn't normally go for when a teammate was already in a good spot. That being said I did drive it tremendously well in all wind directions so that gives me a ton of confidence off the tee. 

Did some short game and putting practice yesterday, worked on some feelings of different club paths on chip shots and learning how the ball reacts, solid short game session. 

Here are some ~50%-75% ish speed swings tonight, mainly focusing on more left side bend/spine tilting over my left side at top of backswing. Quite pleased with how these look, my head is significantly more still than it has been in the past. Going to try and get multiple more slow sessions indoors before taking it outdoors but so far so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Doing a bunch of mirror work and starting to see some results on the range. Loving the swings I made on the range the other day (2nd picture below)

image.pngimage.png

No glaring weaknesses so far this season, although I haven't been tracking specific stats but I did just get my Shotscope V5 watch so I'll be able to quantify the rest of the season and officially am done with MyRoundPro app for tracking since they stopped Samsung Watch support.

Have worked on putting setup, standing closer to the ball getting eyes in proper position and have been pleased with how I've been rolling it with the new setup. 

Switched shafts in my 3 wood to make it be the same profile as driver just 10g heavier. Ventus Blue TR 7x in driver and Blue TR 8x in 3 wood. 

Currently have the Cobra Darkspeed 3 hybrid in the bag but am considering a 5 wood instead, just not liking the look, strike, flight, and confidence that I currently have with the hybrid right now. (A lot of that is me, but some of it is the club/shaft too)

Edited by klineka

35 minutes ago, klineka said:

Doing a bunch of mirror work and starting to see some results on the range. Loving the swings I made on the range the other day (2nd picture below)

image.pngimage.png

No glaring weaknesses so far this season, although I haven't been tracking specific stats but I did just get my Shotscope V5 watch so I'll be able to quantify the rest of the season and officially am done with MyRoundPro app for tracking since they stopped Samsung Watch support.

Have worked on putting setup, standing closer to the ball getting eyes in proper position and have been pleased with how I've been rolling it with the new setup. 

Switched shafts in my 3 wood to make it be the same profile as driver just 10g heavier. Ventus Blue TR 7x in driver and Blue TR 8x in 3 wood. 

Currently have the Cobra Darkspeed 3 hybrid in the bag but am considering a 5 wood instead, just not liking the look, strike, flight, and confidence that I currently have with the hybrid right now. (A lot of that is me, but some of it is the club/shaft too)

You've got a lot of balls there

• Confused 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, StuM said:

You've got a lot of balls…

Sheesh.

😉

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets