IGNORED

If I want a 55* SM6 Vokey should I have a 54 bent, or a 56 bent and why?

Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The title kinda says it all. i want to keep consistent gaps between myt wedges and I have a 45* PW. So I figured a 50* GW, 55*SW and 60* LW would work for me.

Now, would I be better off bending a 56 to 55 or a 54 to 55? What would the benefits of the bounce changing by a huge 1 degree make?

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Joeyvee said:

The title kinda says it all. i want to keep consistent gaps between myt wedges and I have a 45* PW. So I figured a 50* GW, 55*SW and 60* LW would work for me.

Now, would I be better off bending a 56 to 55 or a 54 to 55? What would the benefits of the bounce changing by a huge 1 degree make?

Didn't you ask this question before? ;)  It's whatever you would like more.

The bounce choices in each are 8, 10 and 14, so it just means you have 6 (5 actually) bounce options to choose from now.  7, 9, 9 again, 11, 13 and 15.  Each of those is a slightly different grind.  If it was me, I'd figure out which grind I liked the most and then choose the 54 because I like having more bounce.  But everybody is different.

Go try them out. :beer:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Didn't you ask this question before? ;)  It's whatever you would like more.

The bounce choices in each are 8, 10 and 14, so it just means you have 6 (5 actually) bounce options to choose from now.  7, 9, 9 again, 11, 13 and 15.  Each of those is a slightly different grind.  If it was me, I'd figure out which grind I liked the most and then choose the 54 because I like having more bounce.  But everybody is different.

Go try them out. :beer:

^^^ This, exactly. ^^^

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

^^^ This, exactly. ^^^

Gotcha. Yeah I asked a very similar question. I really need way more time to go try clubs and horse around, but I have been having trouble making that time for myself. 

I guess that's the answer, go take some divots. 

Thank you/ 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

21 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

If it was me, I'd figure out which grind I liked the most and then choose the 54 because I like having more bounce.

Solid advice!

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I went through this. I bought the higher bounce F grind 56 and had it bent to 55. This decreased the bounce a degree where I wanted it, the 54 F grind would have been 15 degrees of bounce and I just thought that was more than I needed. If you aren't a big digger or hit off harder turf you might not want as much bounce.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

do you know what kind of bounce works the best for you? i like low bounce in my 46° 50° 54° high bounce in 58°-60° for bunkers. if it was me and i can get the bounce lower in a 54° then a 56° then i’d go get a 54 bent to a 55. full shots i went lower bounce, half shots and open face shots i’ll go with higher. rather have lower bounce overall 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

1 hour ago, proto said:

do you know what kind of bounce works the best for you? i like low bounce in my 46° 50° 54° high bounce in 58°-60° for bunkers. if it was me and i can get the bounce lower in a 54° then a 56° then i’d go get a 54 bent to a 55. full shots i went lower bounce, half shots and open face shots i’ll go with higher. rather have lower bounce overall 

In the case of the clubs he is choosing from, both the 54 and 56 come with the same bounce options.  So if you want lower bounce, then you'd want to do like @Valleygolfer did and get the 56 and bend down so you lose an extra degree of bounce.

The bounce is going to change when you get the the wedge bent. But if i were doing this, id get whatever the lower bounced wedge you have bent 55. Bounce is your friend. Especially in SW and LW territory. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!