IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

July 27:  played 27 holes at Kokanee Springs in Canada.  Tough day.., didn't sleep much then drove 5 hours in the car.  Got here and hit a few balls before going out.  It seems as though my golf game doesn't have a passport because I left it in the US.  Also left in the US was my 8 iron which I apparently left on the driving range Tuesday night.  Anyway... first 9 holes I shot 51.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, todgot said:

July 27:  played 27 holes at Kokanee Springs in Canada.  Tough day.., didn't sleep much then drove 5 hours in the car.  Got here and hit a few balls before going out.  It seems as though my golf game doesn't have a passport because I left it in the US.  Also left in the US was my 8 iron which I apparently left on the driving range Tuesday night.  Anyway... first 9 holes I shot 51.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.

At least you have a sense of humor about it.

7/28/17:

11 1/2 hour day at work (who wants to cook lunch and dinner for people on a nice day like today, apparently me)... Anyway was still able to practice putting for 5 minutes or so in the living room before work... Focusing on stroke and getting my speed down. Noticed I needed a shorter back stroke to get the ball to the hole (about 12' away) the good news was the ones I was missing we're just missing and rolling about a foot past the hole.

Encouraging stuff headed into tomorrow's first round of the club championship.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/28

Played 9 holes yesterday and had some back issues after the round.  Did 15 mins of golf-specific stretching, exercised with light tension bands and slow swings this morning to loosen the back up and improve rotation.  Feeling MUCh better now.

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 28

Worked on golf-related back, hip and shoulder stretches for 20 minutes.

After indoor putting yesterday, I had managed a half-hour run between rain storms. I had stretched after the run also.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

July 28 - Range work focusing on wedges. Worked on partial and full shots. Worked on opening my hips more on the downswing from P5.5 to impact. I've had some issues with casting on the partial shots and this practice helped.  

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

July 28:  okay,  my game has completely collapsed.  Played 36 holes today and probably shot around 100 the first 18.  Not sure and afraid to ask.  I lost my match 3 and 2 and the guy I was playing probably hit 5 shanks.  Horrible.  36 more holes tomorrow.  

7/29

chipped and pitched into my net with a 60 degree wedge for 10 mins. Focused on trajectory and not chili dipping. 

Sincerely, Art

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

7/29/17:

Anyone want to loan me about 6 pars tomorrow?

Well the club championship first round was this afternoon/evening. I played just ok, not great, not terrible, just ok... Shot 87... Which I did leave a few out there (Hell, the low round of the day was only 76). I made 4 doubles that I could've avoided all three. 8 bogeys most of which were caused by short sided approaches (The good thing is I never left myself a second chip), I did 3 putt the 6th for a double. I had 2 three-putts (The other was on 10). I made five pars which I had three reasonable birdie putts.

But, Shane that's only 17 holes, what about the other one. On the 8th, I hit a good tee ball that the wind pushed a couple yards further left than I wanted, but still ok, about 105 yards out. I hit a 48° wedge to about 8 feet and made the putt for a birdie. 

In Summary, 1 birdie, 5 pars, 8 bogeys, 4 doubles = 87. Not great, but there were some strong gusts and the sustained winds were around 15 mph. 

Hilariously, on the 200 yard par three 16th... The wind was so strong into my face, I actually hit driver.... No kidding... I hit Driver to a par-three and actually hit the green. I made par on 16...

I only missed the Championship Flight by 2 strokes, that's the closest I've come to making it in a while, since my accident anyway... I may get this down eventually... Small steps though...

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

July 29

Mowed grass today. This includes close-mowing my target wedge green area in the back yard, and the tee strip.

After lawn duty, ate lunch and then headed for golf course. Did dynamic stretches, then some warm-up partial swing contact drills, followed by a small bucked allotted on a few wedges, 7i, 5i, and Driver, 3W and 5W. Hit a few putts, and then got OK to tee off back nine.

First time I had played in about 10 days... five bogies and four doubles, for 49. Three of doubles set up by over-the-top hooks which went into fairway bunkers, or OB. Got close to green coming out of bunkers, but then blew wedge shots. Had three double wedge holes, all from a 45* angle downhill lie in greenside shaggy rough. (Greens crew had week off?)

One problem: on some of approaches, I lined up correctly at first, but then crept off to the right and pushed the shot. I dropped the club along swingline after shot, and was pointed to right of green. (Railroad tracks, anyone?)

First and last holes I hit solid drives (for me), run out to 250 yards, and hit a super 200-yd. 4H tee shot off a supertight par 4.

after round I worked on green side wedges. Noticed two things:

• Shaggy grass sinks beneath your feet, lowering the leading edge of the club. Thus, I need to choke down a half inch so I don't hit high on face. (I know this, except evidently when I'm standing over such shots on the course!)
  • To avoid fat shot off downhill lies, play ball more off back foot. Club bottoms out sooner on downhill shots. (I know this also, except on course!)

Pizza almost ready. Bye for now.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

July 29.  After missing yesterday (so I've missed two days in July), I promised I wouldn't miss today.  

I went to the range, small bucket, outside.  Slow practice swings, many slow full swings too.  I made a point to practice at speed a bit today too because (a) I'm playing tomorrow, and (b) I haven't made any off-course full swings since getting hit on Thursday and I wanted to confirm for myself in a nearly consequence free environment that I could do so.  

I then putted for half an hour, culminating in doing a 4-8-12 drill successfully (in the successful run, I sank the first 12' putt, which was pretty neat).  Hopefully tomorrow's round continues the trend of good putting, but if it doesn't, I'll continue to practice and work on improving this aspect of my game as well.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 30 - Took yesterday off as a planned day from swinging. Playing 18 today with my wife and another couple at "Lake Winnipe...Lake Winnipe...Lake Winnipe...Make it Lake Erie, I got an Uncle there" golf course. :-P

Never played there but it look really lovely.

Lake Winnipesaukee Golf Course

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

July 30

Practiced putting for 30 minutes.

Worked on 3-10 footers w/ align stick to side. Focused on pre-shot setup and envisioning ball path.

Also did lag putts + putts off fringe. Goal: roll putt PAST hole if it didn't go in. Worked well if I kept steady head and distinct finish (hold end position for two seconds)

7/30/17:

Round 2 of the Club Championship. Played like crap... Don't want to talk about it... Hitting the range tomorrow, and probably the chipping area.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

7/30

chipped sets of 25 balls into my three zone chipping net.  Need to do this daily, feel isn't great. Made 19 of 25 in the last set but only got one in the center.  

Sincerely, Art

Played 18 today.  If I'm reading the GG correctly, I lost 3 strokes driving, 2.88 on approach, 5.7 short game, 3 putting.  Only the short game number is more than an average 15 handicap, and sure shows where I've been practicing.  

Still didn't make the achievement for July, but continuing to post so I'll be in practice for it to win the August flair!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 29th:  36 holes at Kokanee springs in BC Canada.  Finally, on the 3rd day in Canada I learned my lesson and left my driver in the bag.  Result was a respectable 81 with 2 birdies and I missed 2 birdie putts within 5 feet.  I finally seem to be getting my game back after a few day hiatus.  Hit some nice shots but also some stinkers.  I got a triple bogey on the first hole everyday and today was no exception.  Anyway,  18 tomorrow and the home to Spokane.  

July 30th:  18 holes today at Balfour in BC Canada.  I wrote the post from yesterday last night but did not click submit.  

Todays round had the potential to be one of the best rounds of my life but 2 bad swings led to disaster.  I was 2 over par starting the 16th hole which is 157 yd down hill par 3 with water on the right.  There was wind into us and I tried to hit a 9 iron but came out of it and hit it in the water.  I took a drop and chunked my 3rd shot back in the same pond.  Finally took a 7 on the hole.  I then proceeded to double the next hole after snap hooking a 3 hybrid into another hazard.  Ended with a bogey on 18 to go 7 over for my last 3 holes and shoot an 80.  For the entire day I had one bunker shot and I putted from off the green once.  I hit every other green in regulation except 16 and 17.  I have to admit I lost focus on 16 which cost me.  I also struggled with the putter but had 2 birdies.  After the round we drove home and I spent over an hour on the practice green working on my putting.  Hate to say I had the yips all day and my stroke was very stabby.  

July 31

Between building PowerPoint slides, I went into back yard and set the flagstick in the cup. Practices wedges for 20 minutes: SW and LW, hinge-and-hold and half swings.

A couple of places in the yard have a 45-degree downhill slope. These are good spots to practices those touchy greenside shots created by the greens crew not mowing the perimeter.

I have completed the July Challenge and wish to claim my award medallion.

(Did miss July 25 - hit balls at range but forgot to post it.)

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!