IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau, contrived emotions on making "The Open?"

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was Bryson DeChambeau's emotions contrived or real when asked about making The Open?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Was Bryson DeChambeau's emotions contrived or real when asked about making The Open?

• Real. The guy is true blue.
    • Forced. He is doing nothing but acting a part.
    • Unclear.

9 minutes ago, todgot said:

I noticed MSN has suspended comments on articles and has this message. 

"MSN has temporarily removed commenting on our websites while we explore better ways for you to engage in discussion on the issues you care about."

I totally agree about the Golf Channel comments and I'm not sure why they continue. 

Wow.  How about that?

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Agreed.

I think it's kind of ironic in a way, if we think about it.  If you really get down to it, I don't think it's the specifics about Bryson that annoy people (myself included), it's that we know so much about it.  He falls into that category of people that the media has decided we'd be fascinated by for one reason or another, but to a degree that clearly outweighs their on-course accomplishments.  It happens usually with attractive people, Anna Kournikova being the most obvious.  Rickie Fowler is (was) a decent example of this not too long ago.  Luckily for him, before it got too out of hand, he started winning, and that validated his coverage.

With Bryson though, the coverage was way too much too soon such that many people now hate him way more than they should.  This win should at least partially validate much of what he does, and therefore the coverage he's getting, but many people have already decided that they hate him.  And for what?  Because the Golf Channel and Golf Digest thought we'd be interested in his story and he had the audacity to actually answer the questions they've asked.  Lord heavens!  Oh, and he also allowed Microsoft and Puma to pay him money that he hadn't yet "earned" and none of us would have done that if we were in his position, so for that as well, he must continue to be scorned!!!!!

I completely agree.  It's a delicate balance when you're a young professional and people are throwing money at you but you haven't accomplished anything.  On one hand, you're young without a lot of money in the bank and want to cash in a little.  On the other, you don't want to be "over exposed" or be seen to be cashing in. 

I guess in today's world if you have to struggle a little to find your way and are not immediately successful you're a "flop". 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

6 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

Dear lord, the hate is palpable.  Give him a break.  If you don't like him, fine but this seems like reaching a bit to me.  He's an odd-ball for sure and he didn't win any friends for WD in the Genesis Open (in which six others dropped out).

I'm not fully in his camp or against him.  Let's see how he handles himself.  I don't expect him to do well this week at all...he just went through a rush of emotions and now will be, unexpectedly, playing in The Open Championship.  If he finishes top-25 I'll be pretty surprised.

I just like the fact that there is someone else on tour going about it a completely different way.  The tour needs more guys like this...stir the pot a bit but not to hate on.

Well said. 

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

6 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

Welp...we agree to disagree.

Since we disagree on his reaction I'm not surprised you think he's full of baloney.  I never said you had to like it.  My comment of "the hate being palpable" was based on the first four posts of this thread being quite negative towards him.  That hate was being directed at DeChambeau.  I don't hate you and I'm not judging you...good grief.  I'm just disagreeing with your take.

It's a free country.  You can think he's full of it...and I can remain of the opinion that he's an odd-ball and liking the fact that Bryson is, as I said earlier, stirring the pot.

The thing is you are saying I hate him but yet I don't. I think hate is an excessive term. I just find most of his behavior contrived including the "fighting back the tears" bit.
I don't dislike someone if they good or different. I don't like hokey or fake people and am generally a good judge of character so I am trusting my gut on this. My gut says everything he does is for some element of attention. A similar situation but different,  would be a young Ryan Moore. He was different and did his own thing with his clubs and clothes for a while but didn't come off fake about it. A non issue and no hate. Just because Bryson seemed to lack genuineness doesn't mean I hate him, it's just an observation.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Fwiw I don't put much stock in his vaulted book.  He seems like a decent guy to me though.  I don't get the hate.

Hes not afraid to do what he thinks works and I respect that.

I go back and forth on BD.  He had so much success in college and as an amateur, so he had a lot of hype, but then I realized he hasn't won anything.

Funny thing is, I thought this on Thursday, then he wins Sunday.  Now I eat crow.

Happy the guy won though.  Not sure if he's over-playing it or if it's genuine. 

Note: This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!