IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau, contrived emotions on making "The Open?"

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was Bryson DeChambeau's emotions contrived or real when asked about making The Open?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Was Bryson DeChambeau's emotions contrived or real when asked about making The Open?

• Real. The guy is true blue.
    • Forced. He is doing nothing but acting a part.
    • Unclear.

I have a bit of a love hate deal going on with Bryson DeChambeau. I want to like the fact he goes his own way but it always seems like he is trying so hard be different and do it his own way, just for attention vs genuine difference. This time I watched his interview upon qualifying for The Open and I was a little suspicious of the emotion involved but you be the judge. I can't find the video clip so those of you that saw it can vote.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have a bit of a love hate deal going on with Bryson DeChambeau. I want to like the fact he goes his own way but it always seems like he is trying so hard be different and do it his own way, just for attention vs genuine difference. This time I watched his interview upon qualifying for The Open and I was a little suspicious of the emotion involved but you be the judge. I can't find the video clip so those of you that saw it can vote.

Yeah I'm just not too big on BD. Maybe it's unfair, he just rubs me the wrong way. I think the main reason for me is how he's so tied up in the micro mechanics of golf yet up until his JDC win he's pretty much been a flop. He hasn't brought anything 'amazing' to the tour. He's not the originator of SL clubs yet seems to act like he is. I guess to me he's like a vendor/entrepreneur on 'Shark Tank' who has no numbers to back his product, is not proposing an original concept (neither SLI nor side-saddle putting is his idea) yet continues to push and push trying to convince the powers that be that he's got something. Just not a fan at all of this guy. And like others have said, he's got a hs diploma. He's no scientist.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I'm just not too big on BD. Maybe it's unfair, he just rubs me the wrong way. I think the main reason for me is how he's so tied up in the micro mechanics of golf yet up until his JDC win he's pretty much been a flop. He hasn't brought anything 'amazing' to the tour. He's not the originator of SL clubs yet seems to act like he is. I guess to me he's like a vendor/entrepreneur on 'Shark Tank' who has no numbers to back his product, is not proposing an original concept (neither SLI nor side-saddle putting is his idea) yet continues to push and push trying to convince the powers that be that he's got something. Just not a fan at all of this guy. And like others have said, he's got a hs diploma. He's no scientist.

The interview just made it look like he was arrogant but trying to hide confidence about how he is right and everyone is wrong and this is proof while "fake" choking up. I would have been fine with the confidence and saying something like "this is my dream and everything I am working towards. I expect to be here, it just doesn't always work like you plan....blah blah." But the fake crying...sorry I draw the line. Haha.

For any athlete, a big (first) win, or other significant milestone can be an emotional roller coaster.  I don't care for him, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here...

Hope he's blows it out his a** this week though. ;-) 

Edited to to add that I can't vote though.  Real or not, I'm not going to vote "true blue"! :-) 

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm not really a fan of his but I can buy the fact that your first win is a pretty emotional deal.  He has had a lot of publicity in his career already and the weight of that must be pretty tough to bear.  He went from being the next big thing that everyone was talking about to the next has been pretty quickly in his first year as a pro.  To come through that, working your way up from the Web.com tour and then on to win an event deserves some credit.  Not only has he bagged a million bucks for winning but he gets into the Open and exemption for the PGA next year? Getting emotional about that is fine as far as I'm concerned.  I'm still not buying his scientist thing though.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

He's not my favorite player, but I didn't sense any fakeness during the interview at all.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Dear lord, the hate is palpable.  Give him a break.  If you don't like him, fine but this seems like reaching a bit to me.  He's an odd-ball for sure and he didn't win any friends for WD in the Genesis Open (in which six others dropped out).

I'm not fully in his camp or against him.  Let's see how he handles himself.  I don't expect him to do well this week at all...he just went through a rush of emotions and now will be, unexpectedly, playing in The Open Championship.  If he finishes top-25 I'll be pretty surprised.

I just like the fact that there is someone else on tour going about it a completely different way.  The tour needs more guys like this...stir the pot a bit but not to hate on.

• Upvote 4

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

It adds color anytime somebody does it differently.. So overall I think the fella is ok even though the arrogance is always bit of a turnoff.

The whole science shtick seems more contrived than anything else. I see his swing and I see no more science than scores of pros who swing on-plane all day.  

Vishal S.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Seen most of the interviews.  Nothing petty, nothing arrogant.  Just a kid who's trying his own thing that's jazzed at his first win.  Where was the outrage when dustin or sergio teared up at the first major.

He brought up nothing on his own, these were all responses to questions that Amanda or someone else asked.

Clearly putting thought and effort into how he attacks his chosen profession is a huge sin - how dare he. Of course he's a sham - I mean anyone can win a PGA tour event, so that doesn't count.

Last year, as a brand new KID on tour, he apparently had the arrogance to answer some questions about his playing/training philosophy.  lesson learned, don't answer questions.

Next thing you know, he'll offend someone by having a fitness routine.

I absolutely hate reading posted comments on Golf Channel (so I've stopped, other than to check in to see if it's improved) - more than half of those people are sad and bitter little excuses of a human.  The hypocrisy is they likely all have an idea of how far they hit each of their clubs - why that's kind of a mechanical and stats approach isn't it?  don't they just play by 'feel'?  If any of those self righteous buffoons were to have a microphone shoved in their faces, they'd likely wet themselves.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Upvote 2

Bill - 

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I disagree and I am not sure this is the video I initially saw. Looks fake.

1 hour ago, NCGolfer said:

Dear lord, the hate is palpable.  Give him a break.  If you don't like him, fine but this seems like reaching a bit to me.  He's an odd-ball for sure and he didn't win any friends for WD in the Genesis Open (in which six others dropped out).

I'm not fully in his camp or against him.  Let's see how he handles himself.  I don't expect him to do well this week at all...he just went through a rush of emotions and now will be, unexpectedly, playing in The Open Championship.  If he finishes top-25 I'll be pretty surprised.

I just like the fact that there is someone else on tour going about it a completely different way.  The tour needs more guys like this...stir the pot a bit but not to hate on.

No hate, just think he lays it on a little too thick, basically I think  he is full of baloney. Hell it might be the Golf Channels fault for sucking up to his nonsense. So what if he does thinks differently, It appears he is different for the sake of being different. Why is reinventing the wheel so special? Why do I have to like it? Why is it hate if I think he is faking it? Why are you judging me? Why do you hate me for not liking this? I could go on....

The past month shows that he has got something working. He missed many cuts in a row!! But in the past month he has finished better each week than the last, top 20 3 out of those 4 weeks.

23 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Seen most of the interviews.  Nothing petty, nothing arrogant.  Just a kid who's trying his own thing that's jazzed at his first win.  Where was the outrage when dustin or sergio teared up at the first major.

He brought up nothing on his own, these were all responses to questions that Amanda or someone else asked.

Clearly putting thought and effort into how he attacks his chosen profession is a huge sin - how dare he. Of course he's a sham - I mean anyone can win a PGA tour event, so that doesn't count.

Last year, as a brand new KID on tour, he apparently had the arrogance to answer some questions about his playing/training philosophy.  lesson learned, don't answer questions.

I absolutely hate reading posted comments on Golf Channel (so I've stopped, other than to check in to see if it's improved) - more than half of those people are sad and bitter little excuses of a human.  The hypocrisy is they likely all have an idea of how far they hit each of their clubs - why that's kind of a mechanical and stats approach isn't it?  don't they just play by 'feel'?  If any of those self righteous buffoons were to have a microphone shoved in their faces, they'd likely wet themselves.

I agree with your defense ... Folks can be overly touchy.  

6 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

The past month shows that he has got something working. He missed many cuts in a row!! But in the past month he has finished better each week than the last, top 20 3 out of those 4 weeks.

He finally solved the equation.. :-) . I hear violins furiously wailing away as he got through it.

Vishal S.

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I disagree and I am not sure this is the video I initially saw. Looks fake.

Welp...we agree to disagree.

16 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

No hate, just think he lays it on a little too thick, basically I think  he is full of baloney. Hell it might be the Golf Channels fault for sucking up to his nonsense. So what if he does thinks differently, It appears he is different for the sake of being different. Why is reinventing the wheel so special? Why do I have to like it? Why is it hate if I think he is faking it? Why are you judging me? Why do you hate me for not liking this? I could go on....

Since we disagree on his reaction I'm not surprised you think he's full of baloney.  I never said you had to like it.  My comment of "the hate being palpable" was based on the first four posts of this thread being quite negative towards him.  That hate was being directed at DeChambeau.  I don't hate you and I'm not judging you...good grief.  I'm just disagreeing with your take.

It's a free country.  You can think he's full of it...and I can remain of the opinion that he's an odd-ball and liking the fact that Bryson is, as I said earlier, stirring the pot.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

44 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Agreed.

I think it's kind of ironic in a way, if we think about it.  If you really get down to it, I don't think it's the specifics about Bryson that annoy people (myself included), it's that we know so much about it.  He falls into that category of people that the media has decided we'd be fascinated by for one reason or another, but to a degree that clearly outweighs their on-course accomplishments.  It happens usually with attractive people, Anna Kournikova being the most obvious.  Rickie Fowler is (was) a decent example of this not too long ago.  Luckily for him, before it got too out of hand, he started winning, and that validated his coverage.

With Bryson though, the coverage was way too much too soon such that many people now hate him way more than they should.  This win should at least partially validate much of what he does, and therefore the coverage he's getting, but many people have already decided that they hate him.  And for what?  Because the Golf Channel and Golf Digest thought we'd be interested in his story and he had the audacity to actually answer the questions they've asked.  Lord heavens!  Oh, and he also allowed Microsoft and Puma to pay him money that he hadn't yet "earned" and none of us would have done that if we were in his position, so for that as well, he must continue to be scorned!!!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Oh, and he also allowed Microsoft and Puma to pay him money that he hadn't yet "earned" and none of us would have done that if we were in his position, so for that as well, he must continue to be scorned!!!!!

Well, yeah! :-D 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

I absolutely hate reading posted comments on Golf Channel (so I've stopped, other than to check in to see if it's improved) - more than half of those people are sad and bitter little excuses of a human

I noticed MSN has suspended comments on articles and has this message. 

"MSN has temporarily removed commenting on our websites while we explore better ways for you to engage in discussion on the issues you care about."

I totally agree about the Golf Channel comments and I'm not sure why they continue. 

• Upvote 1

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!