IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips

A little survey if you will---- Stop in at golf shop- display has PURE grips- standard pro, wrap, standard DTX- all are same price- which do you choose and what color?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, pgone said:

A little survey if you will---- Stop in at golf shop- display has PURE grips- standard pro, wrap, standard DTX- all are same price- which do you choose and what color?

Why?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, pgone said:

Whats your problem  DUDE??

I don't have a problem. I simply wondered why you'd ask that question.

So… why?

FWIW I have sets with red DTX. Red Pro. Orange Pro. Grey DTX. Blue Pros.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, you have a strange way of welcoming club builders. I made a remark about one of these guys using stolen cans of compressed  air to blow on grips by rigging the plastic tube. Now if Vinsk and yourself approve of this method, my most humble apology. Just like you have your quirks, my preference is to use DS tape and solvent. If you want to use a compressor, by all means have at it. Alvin Cruz has been asking me to carry PURE  in stock as a dealer. I am not here to sell- just making an inquiry. 

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, pgone said:

Erik, you have a strange way of welcoming club builders.

No, that's got nothing to do with this. You made an ass of yourself early on in this topic:

On 7/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, pgone said:

Thats ok, by your posts, it shows your not very smart.

The irony of someone typing "your not very smart" was seemingly lost on you.

Then you continued:

On 7/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, pgone said:

Do not do what this fool is doing. A 10" piece of double sided tape is 10 cents--6 cents for solvent.. I dont see any reason to use air. 

To which I replied:

On 7/19/2017 at 7:46 PM, iacas said:

There are plenty of reasons to use compressed air:

• Faster
  • Cheaper
  • Easier
  • Cleaner (no liquids to catch, dispose of, splash or squirt anywhere, etc.)

Never mind that you can remove and save grips, swap them out in a matter of seconds, etc.

Now…

I made a remark about one of these guys using stolen cans of compressed  air to blow on grips by rigging the plastic tube.

I never commented on using stolen cans of compressed air. Not once. I have talked about using a $100 compressor from Lowe's in the past.

Then, you made a smartass comment about "fixing your shanks" (to someone else), and I told you to cool it.

So no, it's not me who is being unwelcoming by asking you "why" you asked a question. You, on the other hand, have called someone a fool, "not very smart," and made a rude comment about someone's shanks.

Now if Vinsk and yourself approve of this method, my most humble apology.

I don't, nor have I ever endorsed it.

Just like you have your quirks, my preference is to use DS tape and solvent. If you want to use a compressor, by all means have at it. Alvin Cruz has been asking me to carry PURE  in stock as a dealer. I am not here to sell- just making an inquiry. 

You're behaving poorly is what you're doing. Chill out.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:55 PM, pgone said:

Now if Vinsk and yourself approve of this method, my most humble apology. 

I actually clearly stated I don't recommend that method. FWIW I have Red Pro Midsize.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/18/2017 at 0:21 PM, Shindig said:

Would this work for the compressor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagan-Tech-12-Volt-Electric-Powered-Air-Compressor-2020/205708666

And it doesn't look like the store I'm looking at has the DTX kit.  They have this with red:

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/club-making-gear/grips/pure-grips-pure-pro-standard-golf-grip-kit/

But I'm not wedded to RBG (I'm not even sure I've ordered from them in a long time, if ever).

So another question;  other than the air compressor, what else do I need? 

No that 12 volt compressor is not what you want.  The pancake compressors will work well for this application.  You can find them in pawn shops all day long and Harbor Freight has some low end compressors also that would work for this.  You don't need the tool that Pure sales, a regular air nozzle with a barbed nipple will work just fine.  Also you don't have to use Pure grips as I have put on Karma, Golf Pride, Super Stroke, and a few other no name grips using this method as well.  I have found that it doesn't work well with Winn grips though.  You also have the benefits of taking your grip back off to straighten it or to put another layer of tape or  four on if you want to experiment with different grip sizes or tapering.  Watch some You Tube videos before you try and use a piece of pipe or a cut off section of golf bag tube when pulling one off with air so you don't explode one and hurt yourself.

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, pgone said:

Midsize Pro in navy blue.  I was going to go DTX when I first got my grips as I was using cords, but another person in the store convinced me to go with the pro.  I like them.

Now if I could only run into a display to actually be able to choose.  I've only seen these at big box stores like Golfsmith and PGA Tour Superstore.  They carry a very limited selection only in black.

I'm very tempted next time to have a custom batch made from Pure with my college colors on it.

Thanks Guys, Sorry to say I don' t shop in these stores, around how much did you pay and what were the installation charges if any? Even better if you install yourself--- 

9 minutes ago, pgone said:

Thanks Guys, Sorry to say I don' t shop in these stores, around how much did you pay and what were the installation charges if any? Even better if you install yourself--- 

I paid $8/grip. Got 10 clubs done...paid $10 for installation. Doing it yourself is better for some I suppose. I can swing $10. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, pgone said:

$7.99/grip + $10 for shipping

https://www.puregrips.com/product/pure-dtx?p_color=Black

No Installation charges, I install my own grips.

They last 2-3x longer than your normal grip. They price right between Tour Velvets and New Decade MC Grips. Pure Grips are superior to both of them.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I paid $8/grip. Got 10 clubs done...paid $10 for installation. Doing it yourself is better for some I suppose. I can swing $10. 

Thanks, So they installed at a buck a grip and they are 1.50 over MSRP.   If they did a good job your good to go.

55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

$7.99/grip + $10 for shipping

https://www.puregrips.com/product/pure-dtx?p_color=Black

No Installation charges, I install my own grips.

They last 2-3x longer than your normal grip. They price right between Tour Velvets and New Decade MC Grips. Pure Grips are superior to both of them.

Great on the installation-  Don't know how many you  bought? Golfworks in Ohio has them listed at 5.99 each plus shipping. Thai is MAP pricing on those grips.

• 1 year later...

I want to bump this thread, and I need to start with a confession:  shortly after I bought these, I bought new irons (if I'm remembering my timeline correctly, plus the 6-iron in my former set had a PURE grip on it but the rest didn't).  I did not install these grips on my new irons, and the grips have been sitting in my house (still in a bag) since. 

It's about time to change my grips on many of my clubs (irons, wedges, driver) and I think I'm going to install these.  I also don't have an air compressor, but I do have a friend who is super handy with these sorts of things, including that he has helped me to regrip clubs in the past (like the time I forgot to take the paper off of the tape before trying to put a grip on).

I assume that, given the longevity of PURE grips on a club, they'd still be good even if they had been on my irons this whole time.  Is the same true if they were sitting the plastic bag, in a closet in my golf room (indoors, not in the garage)?

And is there any functional difference in the grips, once installed, if they're done by air compressor versus the traditional way?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Wash 'em up and stuff and they should be fine.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Wash 'em up and stuff and they should be fine.

Thank you.  Will do! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

With a friend's help, installed on my 50 degree wedge and on my 6-iron.  I'm going to hit them at the range later today and will probably regrip the rest of the set in the near future.

My friend knows what he's doing with club building / regripping (he's helped me in these realms before) but had never done the air compressor version.  He thought it was neat (I did too).  For the 50 degree, which we did first, we didn't remove the grip tape that was on from the previous grip, but then we had trouble putting on the Pure Grip.  So we put some solvent on and the grip was easier to put on (not surprisingly).

For the 6-iron, we went without solvent, but also removed the grip tape that was underneath the old grip.

If I remember correctly, I will need to Gorilla Glue my Game Golf tags into the Pure grips?  I haven't installed the tags yet.

It was fun, a little getting used to, and I think we had some issues with consistent length and being sure the grip was on the whole way.  Plus it seems the grip can stretch and compress once on?  The good news is, if I did something wrong, getting back to the air compressor means I can fix it instead of losing an entire grip.  So that's pretty neat.

-- Michael | My swing!