Jump to content
IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips


Recommended Posts

A little under a year ago I finally tried a Pure grip, getting one installed on my 6-iron at a shop.

There are also 12 clubs in my bag whose grip is over a year old.  And I now have a garage, but I don't own an air compressor.  I'm thinking of getting Pure grips and giving them a try for the full set (other than putter).  Something like this: https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/club-making-gear/grips/pure-grips-pure-pro-standard-golf-grip-kit-black/  (it looks like that's everything I'd need to install, other than the air compressor.  I'd prefer red or black-and-red for grips but that'll be fine).

I guess two questions:

* I have installed grips the tape/liquid/etc way before.  How hard will it be for me to learn to do this with the air compressor?

* I don't own an air compressor and I don't even know what I'd look for in buying one.  Any suggestions?  Also, what would I use an air compressor for other than grip installation?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I'm just jumping in to hear about the grip install. I have never done it with an air compressor either. I've always used the solvent and tape.

As far as an air compressor goes, you could use it for many other things but that is dependent on you. I use mine for tires, impact,  air wrenches, blowing up floats, using the air gun to blow off lawn mowers, garage, etc...

  • Upvote 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

A little under a year ago I finally tried a Pure grip, getting one installed on my 6-iron at a shop.

There are also 12 clubs in my bag whose grip is over a year old.  And I now have a garage, but I don't own an air compressor.  I'm thinking of getting Pure grips and giving them a try for the full set (other than putter).  Something like this: https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/club-making-gear/grips/pure-grips-pure-pro-standard-golf-grip-kit-black/  (it looks like that's everything I'd need to install, other than the air compressor.  I'd prefer red or black-and-red for grips but that'll be fine).

I prefer PURE DTX over the Pros TBH. Pros always underperformed in the rain for me. And you can get them in red :-)

9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

* I have installed grips the tape/liquid/etc way before.  How hard will it be for me to learn to do this with the air compressor?

It's a simple process. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how it's done.

9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

* I don't own an air compressor and I don't even know what I'd look for in buying one.  Any suggestions?  Also, what would I use an air compressor for other than grip installation?

Just get the simple 1gal ones if you aren't going to use it often. Make sure you use Teflon tape on the threads for attachments. I use a quick disconnect to allow for easy attachment changes.

I mostly use my compressor at home to clean electronics and inflate tires. You can use it to clean off your workspaces and stuff, too. It all depends on what attachments you have. I also use it a little for work but you probably don't have the same need.

Contractors use air compressed nail guns and brad nailers, but if you needed one for those purposes you'd probably already own one. I have never used the brad nailer that came with my compressor; it's still in the original box.

  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I prefer PURE DTX over the Pros TBH. Pros always underperformed in the rain for me. And you can get them in red :-)

It's a simple process. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how it's done.

Just get the simple 1gal ones if you aren't going to use it often. Make sure you use Teflon tape on the threads for attachments. I use a quick disconnect to allow for easy attachment changes.

I mostly use my compressor at home to clean electronics and inflate tires. You can use it to clean off your workspaces and stuff, too. It all depends on what attachments you have. I also use it a little for work but you probably don't have the same need.

Contractors use air compressed nail guns and brad nailers, but if you needed one for those purposes you'd probably already own one. I have never used the brad nailer that came with my compressor; it's still in the original box.

Would this work for the compressor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagan-Tech-12-Volt-Electric-Powered-Air-Compressor-2020/205708666

And it doesn't look like the store I'm looking at has the DTX kit.  They have this with red:

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/club-making-gear/grips/pure-grips-pure-pro-standard-golf-grip-kit/

But I'm not wedded to RBG (I'm not even sure I've ordered from them in a long time, if ever).

So another question;  other than the air compressor, what else do I need? 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
52 minutes ago, Shindig said:

A little under a year ago I finally tried a Pure grip, getting one installed on my 6-iron at a shop.

There are also 12 clubs in my bag whose grip is over a year old.  And I now have a garage, but I don't own an air compressor.  I'm thinking of getting Pure grips and giving them a try for the full set (other than putter).  Something like this: https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/club-making-gear/grips/pure-grips-pure-pro-standard-golf-grip-kit-black/  (it looks like that's everything I'd need to install, other than the air compressor.  I'd prefer red or black-and-red for grips but that'll be fine).

I guess two questions:

* I have installed grips the tape/liquid/etc way before.  How hard will it be for me to learn to do this with the air compressor?

* I don't own an air compressor and I don't even know what I'd look for in buying one.  Any suggestions?  Also, what would I use an air compressor for other than grip installation?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Not to sound too Bostonian, but it's "wicked" easy. I use the compressor for regular grip installation too. With Pure, it takes seconds. You can also use masking tape to build up areas. I've created profiles with extra tape for the right hand to feel like GolfPride MCC Plus 4. It is so easy to go on and off.

I agree with @billchao on the DTX. I found them much better for rain and sweaty hands.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

@Shindig just buy direct.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@Shindig just buy direct.

I didn't realize I could do that.  That's much better.

How good is their compressor?  Or would the 12V one I linked above be just as good for this task?

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Not to sound too Bostonian, but it's "wicked" easy. I use the compressor for regular grip installation too. With Pure, it takes seconds. You can also use masking tape to build up areas. I've created profiles with extra tape for the right hand to feel like GolfPride MCC Plus 4. It is so easy to go on and off.

I agree with @billchao on the DTX. I found them much better for rain and sweaty hands.

I've never done the building up of a grip (except once by accident).  

I see the DTX and am going to use them instead.  Now I'm tempted to go in multi-color (some red, some white, some blue).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I were you, I'd buy a bundle on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C7FP9MY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_LBLBzbSG3YERR

There's a decent chance it comes with the installation tool, which is way over-priced in my opinion. When I bought my pro's on Amazon it was included.

Edit: tried to fix the link to go to the Amazon-sold version instead of Hireko Golf, but it keeps sending me to the Hireko version for some reason. Just select Amazon under Other Sellers if needed.

Edited by drmevo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hadn't thought to look at Amazon.  At $72 shipped for 13 grips, that's great.  If it includes the $40 installation piece, that'd be a steal.  At a shipping weight of 3 lbs, I doubt it would (unless I'm very mis-estimating weights here).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I hadn't thought to look at Amazon.  At $72 shipped for 13 grips, that's great.  If it includes the $40 installation piece, that'd be a steal.  At a shipping weight of 3 lbs, I doubt it would (unless I'm very mis-estimating weights here).

Check out the Pro grip kits: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G2L4O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_vLLBzbHJYDD35

2lb shipping weight and by all accounts come with the installation tool. I think I got my kit for $40-$50 a couple of years ago!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I've gotten PURE sets from Amazon, think it was PURE that was the seller via Amazon fulfillment for as low as $60. Wasn't picky about the color though, just took whatever the limited option was. Guessing there's some variable/demographic price adjustments going on though, maybe Prime members getting a lower price as well.

I once ordered a set, paid whatever was the typical price of a set and the gun/installation tool came with it.

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 3.00.41 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'll order the red set later this afternoon then unless some reason not to pops up.  If it doesn't come with the gun, I can order that separately afterward.  Still need to find out what I need out of an air compressor too.  Overall goal I think should be to have the new grips installed by the club championship (starts Aug 11).  Maybe I can even use the event as a marker going forward for annual re-gripping. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I think I'll order the red set later this afternoon then unless some reason not to pops up.  If it doesn't come with the gun, I can order that separately afterward.  Still need to find out what I need out of an air compressor too.  Overall goal I think should be to have the new grips installed by the club championship (starts Aug 11).  Maybe I can even use the event as a marker going forward for annual re-gripping. 

Any $100 job from Home Depot/Lowes will do. The smallest "real" air compressor. Unless you plan on doing home improvement stuff that requires a more powerful one.

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 3.23.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 3.23.47 PM.png

  • Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Any $100 job from Home Depot/Lowes will do. The smallest "real" air compressor. Unless you plan on doing home improvement stuff that requires a more powerful one.

Yeah, I really should be willing to pay that, and I will be okay doing so.  Part of me is still in graduate school mentality about spending money (and I've been out of graduate school almost as long as I was in it).   Besides, at $40-$50 + grip costs to pay a store to regrip, I'll recoup the money in 13 months after my second full set re-gripping with this.

 

Oh!  Is there any difference to regripping a graphite shafted club with these?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shindig said:

Yeah, I really should be willing to pay that, and I will be okay doing so.  Part of me is still in graduate school mentality about spending money (and I've been out of graduate school almost as long as I was in it).   Besides, at $40-$50 + grip costs to pay a store to regrip, I'll recoup the money in 13 months after my second full set re-gripping with this.

 

Oh!  Is there any difference to regripping a graphite shafted club with these?  

A decent air compressor can come in handy for a lot of applications, so I'd start with looking at the ones suggested above and maybe even consider a slightly larger one depending on whether you might like to someday buy additional tools for it. I bought a basic set of air tools (impact wrench, etc.) from Home Depot and they've come in handy more than once. 

In terms of graphite, the only things I've read is that you should be extra careful removing the old grips not to nick/gouge the shaft. A lot of people recommend hook blades on a utility knife. Also, I'd get a rubber vise clamp (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SA5JBZW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_HoMBzbVTQZZGR) if you don't already have one and either a vise or one of those Black&Decker work benches (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000077CQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_1qMBzb9M51Z3E) to hold the club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got one of the little Porter Cable pancake compressors.  Grips or not, once you own one, you'll kick yourself for not buying one long ago.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Grips or not, once you own one, you'll kick yourself for not buying one long ago.  

+1

 

@Shindig, as others have said, I wouldn't buy that small compressor you showed in your post. Go for the one similar to those @nevets88 suggested. Those 4-6 gallon compressor will do the job with grips and are handy for a lot of other jobs. They're loud if you run them inside, but it's a nice tool to have and will last for years.

The Pure grips install and removal is fairly easy with compressed air and I've yet to have one slip.

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Awhile back, someone here ordered one PURE grip and got a whole set. I tried the same link, no love, got one grip, although I got the air gun freebie in another order. Amazon fixes its mistakes quickly.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Getting into PURE Grips

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...