IGNORED

Range practice.

Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Real quick question. Most of the driving ranges at my local courses are so beat up and I like to practice hitting off the grass (iron practice). It can be tough. A great place by me has, well it has grass also (also beat up) but has the stalls with the mats. Any disadvantage to hitting off those green mats or are you just wasting your time and should look for grass?  Thanks Joe

Edited by swffjvl

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

4 minutes ago, swffjvl said:

Real quick question. Most of the driving ranges at my local courses are so beat up and I like to practice hitting off the grass (iron practice). It can be tough. A great place by me has, well it has grass also (also beat up) but has the stalls with the mats. Any disadvantage to hitting of those green mats or are you just wasting your time off them?  Thanks Joe

Mats or hard ground can let you get away with hitting slightly behind the ball slightly. What would be a slightly heavy shot will turn out OK.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Mats or hard ground can let you get away with hitting slightly behind the ball slightly. What would be a slightly heavy shot will turn out OK.

Is tha because your causing grass or dirt between you ball and club where you wouldn't from a Mat? So hitting from a mat "can" cause you problems down the line...

Edited by swffjvl

1 minute ago, swffjvl said:

Is tha because your causing grass or dirt between you ball and club where you wouldn't from a Mat? So hitting from a may "can" cause you problems down the line...

No, the bounce of the club will glide slightly on a mat or hard pan ground instead of letting the club dig into the ground.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

31 minutes ago, swffjvl said:

Any disadvantage to hitting off those green mats or are you just wasting your time and should look for grass? 

I think if you're "practicing to play", hitting off grass is a positive thing, you're getting a truer evaluation of your contact.  If you're practicing to change, trying to change a specific part of your swing, you can do that no matter what surface you're hitting from.  Your goal isn't necessarily good shot results, but a specific change in the motion of your swing.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think if you're "practicing to play", hitting off grass is a positive thing, you're getting a truer evaluation of your contact.  If you're practicing to change, trying to change a specific part of your swing, you can do that no matter what surface you're hitting from.  Your goal isn't necessarily good shot results, but a specific change in the motion of your swing.

Dave, Like not rising on the swing?

39 minutes ago, swffjvl said:

Dave, Like not rising on the swing?

Like what ever is your priority piece is. A backswing piece can be worked on with out hitting a ball at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I've never understood the distaste for mats.

It's never seemed that difficult to me to know when you "got away with one" by hitting it fat.

Yeah, the ball still goes okay, but you can TELL that you hit behind it, still…

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've never understood the distaste for mats.

It's never seemed that difficult to me to know when you "got away with one" by hitting it fat.

Agreed.  I do a lot of non-ball contact work in my garage (sometimes with a foam ball as well) on a mat and I can easily identify the fat wings from the true swings.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I think I can feel when I do , but not super sure. Assuming the thump before ball contact would be just that? It happens so fast I guess I just have to figure that out.

On the better mats the ball flight is affected by a fat shot, 1/2 to 3/4 of the expected distance.  Even the not so good mats will give some flight feed back on fat shots.  It's pretty easy to tell.

I practice mostly on mats. But I am very aware of contact. If the ball flies well but my contact felt or sounded nothing than pure...that swing in my book was not good. 

The contact issues I might have during a round are not driven by practicing in mats. I will say however that firm mat practice can make you a picker of the ball where you might not take much of a divot...not a terrible thing in my opinion. 

I mostly practice swing mechanics and such so I can do it anywhere.

Gonna grab a bucket and hit the mats and save some for a move down the walk to the grass.  Just see the difference

Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!