IGNORED

ball position

Note: This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i had a couple lessons since i am getting back into golf this season.  I always watched guys tee the ball up high in a forward positon.  I tried that and seem to have a slice or a sky ball.  Having my stance closer together and  actually moving the ball back in my stance with a little lower tee height.  I have a titelist 909 driver which is an older club.  I started hitting alot further and straighter balls, is that because i have the ball teed lower and more back in my stance, and why would that be?

I'm far from an expert, but my initial thought would be that you aren't getting your weight far enough forward in your swing.  When the ball is teed up far forward in my stance, I still need to get my weight moving towards that point so the ball is close to where my weight center is (not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it works for me).

If you struggle with getting your weight forward, the swing you have will keep your weight center more towards the middle of your stance which then would cause your hits to be straighter with the ball where you say you have it set up.  However, you're giving up a ton of distance this way, and keeping you from making a better swing in general.  

Keep in mind that this is only an assumption, a swing video would help infinitely more in determining why this is occurring for you.

Edited by amished
Clarity

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMHO  if you are hitting the ball straighter and further, don't change a thing. It doesn't matter what other golfers do, or how they do it.

You have done a better job of aligning the "sweet spot" center of gravity of the club head to the ball.

When path and club face align you will get longer and straighter shots. 

Good Job!!

• Upvote 1

Brian   

1 hour ago, adi2008 said:

I started hitting alot further and straighter balls, is that because i have the ball teed lower and more back in my stance, and why would that be?

1. Your swing is probably a good deal outside to in
2. Moving the ball more forward actually moves the swing path more inward compared to having it back in the stance. This is because the club moves on an arc. So moving the ball back will make the impact position less inward.
3. Moving the ball back will lower the ball flight because it is hard to hit up at the ball or at least with a zero angle of attack.

In terms of seeing results, it could help compared to what you were doing. It still isn't optimal compared to being able to have the ball forward and not slice the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. Your swing is probably a good deal outside to in
2. Moving the ball more forward actually moves the swing path more inward compared to having it back in the stance. This is because the club moves on an arc. So moving the ball back will make the impact position less inward.
3. Moving the ball back will lower the ball flight because it is hard to hit up at the ball or at least with a zero angle of attack.

In terms of seeing results, it could help compared to what you were doing. It still isn't optimal compared to being able to have the ball forward and not slice the ball.

i know i am swinging from inside with putting alignement sticks up, maybe it just seems like it is back further because my pro has me with a shoulder width stance to help with the turning.  I used to use a wider stance and i would do alot of swaying

47 minutes ago, adi2008 said:

i know i am swinging from inside with putting alignement sticks up

While a possibility, the clubhead is moving so fast I doubt that what you (think you) see is what's actually happening. Either way, if the ball is slicing, the clubface is open to the path (i.e. your path is 'out to in' relative to the clubface).

You could obviously be different, but you sound like me ~6 months ago. I used to swing down on the ball with the driver and had to play the ball in the middle because moving it forward caused slices and sky-balls just like you mentioned. For me, the sky-balls were a result swinging under the ball and hitting it off the top edge of the driver.

The two posts below changed everything for me. I now play it forward and tee it high and literally can't remember the last time I had one of those dreaded sky-balls. The slices still happen occasionally, but typically only when I rush the swing or swing too hard. Historically, I've always been a slicer and my friends know this, but just a couple weeks ago, after hitting a big draw off the tee and away from water, a guy we were playing with for the first time remarked, "well that's certainly safe!" and then I heard my buddy say, "oh, he doesn't go right". ;-)

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

(edited)
19 minutes ago, roamin said:

While a possibility, the clubhead is moving so fast I doubt that what you (think you) see is what's actually happening. Either way, if the ball is slicing, the clubface is open to the path (i.e. your path is 'out to in' relative to the clubface).

You could obviously be different, but you sound like me ~6 months ago. I used to swing down on the ball with the driver and had to play the ball in the middle because moving it forward caused slices and sky-balls just like you mentioned. For me, the sky-balls were a result swinging under the ball and hitting it off the top edge of the driver.

The two posts below changed everything for me. I now play it forward and tee it high and literally can't remember the last time I had one of those dreaded sky-balls. The slices still happen occasionally, but typically only when I rush the swing or swing too hard. Historically, I've always been a slicer and my friends know this, but just a couple weeks ago, after hitting a big draw off the tee and away from water, a guy we were playing with for the first time remarked, "well that's certainly safe!" and then I heard my buddy say, "oh, he doesn't go right". ;-)

im not slicing it, i will just get a push to the right or a bad hook. i do have an older titelist 909 driver if that matters

Edited by adi2008

Your best bet would be to record your swing and post it on here (start a my swing thread) to see what you are doing. I'm not a swing/teaching pro but It could be that your swing is bottoming out to soon in the swing arc thus your club is moving up and left through impact causing thigh high slice. Almost like you are starting your follow through before impact.

Edited by JxQx

It is possible to have the ball too far forward.  An instructor pointed that out to me, a couple years ago, during a driving lesson.  It wasn't much but just enough that I was pushing my hands ahead, forward pressing if you will, and blocking the ball right.  Hitting to the opposite field, so to speak.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

2 hours ago, adi2008 said:

im not slicing it, i will just get a push to the right or a bad hook.

:hmm:

Maybe I misunderstood...this is what I was referring to...

4 hours ago, adi2008 said:

I always watched guys tee the ball up high in a forward positon. I tried that and seem to have a slice or a sky ball.

Cheers! :beer:

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Note: This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!