IGNORED

Must you put the ball in the hole always?

Hategolf
Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, rehmwa said:

If the issue is keeping up pace of play, I'd just bring up the topic in general and let him figure out how he handles it his way.

Bringing up just this specific item instead just sounds like you're venting a pet peeve.

It's none of our business 'why' he wants to putt out.  If that gives him enjoyment in the activity, so what?  It's none of our business how he chooses to improve his game.

Sometimes it's hard for people to just live and let live.

Make the issue slow play and don't dig deeper unless advice is requested - slow play affects others so that's legit

This reminds me of a round I played with my Brother many years ago, when he still played. I gave him a short putt on a par 5, and he stepped up to it an rapped it in.

He was righteously pissed with me! He told me, "I've flogged this ball 500+ yards and now you want to deny me the pleasure of hearing that ball rattle in the cup?!"

I've mentioned hearing vs sight before on these boards, and just how important our sense of hearing is for the game.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No tourney after too many pick up.

if there's money on it we don't give putts.

I play with hackers sometimes.  It's dumb to force them the indignity of having to hole out for ten and hold everyone up.

I am not immune to picking up.  One time at dawn I went out on the tips with a scratch coworker and pushed my first drive way right.  He looked at me and I said I'll just drop one inside 150.  Lets walk.  

Common sense should always be applied.

STABLEFORD!

Anything over bogey scores ZERO!

Pick the ball up when you have no chance to score (1pt for bogey, 2pt for par, 3pt for bird, etc). If your best chance is a double, pick the dang ball up and move on!

The idiotic concept of strict stroke play for high handicappers is on it's face detrimental for pace, let alone the discouragement piled upon players who have not yet been able to play at least "Bogey" golf.

Stableford is an accepted and legal scoring method!

• Upvote 1

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

You can play match play- So for example- 
Once you've putted out for your 4(or 3, or whatever), if he's that far behind, just pick up his ball and tell him he lost the hole and move on to the next tee. No more lining up 8 footers he'll miss anyway, and then lining up the next two he's going to miss as well. 

Problem solved... :-)

16 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

This reminds me of a round I played with my Brother many years ago, when he still played. I gave him a short putt on a par 5, and he stepped up to it an rapped it in.

He was righteously pissed with me! He told me, "I've flogged this ball 500+ yards and now you want to deny me the pleasure of hearing that ball rattle in the cup?!"

I've mentioned hearing vs sight before on these boards, and just how important our sense of hearing is for the game.

Next time, when he misses that putt you already gave him, make sure to mark down the SIX instead of the 5. "But you gave it to me!"

Tough nuggies, Mr. 'listen to the rattle'... It's a six.

Pace of play is king.  I've played ghost town rounds where we play two balls apiece for practice, and rounds where hitting greens in regulation is keeping pace.  Just apply common sense to the course that day and you shouldn't have any visits from the course employees.

My dad and I are in the process of teaching my younger brothers to play.  We've already planned that when we take them out to a course for the first time, we'll do 2v2 best ball, because pace of play takes precedence.  Those first few rounds aren't about keeping score, it's about learning the ethics and how the game is played.  Familiarizing yourself with the game and how to get around a course is more important than counting all 130 strokes you took.

• Upvote 2

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

9 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

We've already planned that when we take them out to a course for the first time, we'll do 2v2 best ball, because pace of play takes precedence.

That's a really good idea. Kind of wish I'd started out that way.

31 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

That's a really good idea. Kind of wish I'd started out that way.

It's helpful as it gets rid of a lot of the pressure of just being on a course.  Until you play your own ball for the first time and get dropped off at your wayward drive under the trees and hear "well...this is you."  Terrifying.

Diego’s Gear

3 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

It's helpful as it gets rid of a lot of the pressure of just being on a course.  Until you play your own ball for the first time and get dropped off at your wayward drive under the trees and hear "well...this is you."  Terrifying.

My buddy's idea of introducing me to golf was taking me to the hardest course in town and kicking my ass all over it.

@mcanadiens and probably forced you to 6-7 putt every green till you holed out.  BOOM still on topic.  Seriously though, that's absurd.  I can't imagine that being fun at all.

Diego’s Gear

15 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

@mcanadiens and probably forced you to 6-7 putt every green till you holed out.  BOOM still on topic.  Seriously though, that's absurd.  I can't imagine that being fun at all.

The one thing he did right was teach me to pick up after it got silly. Pace was always in mind, but he also wanted to kick the crap out of me. ... I was scarred, but on I've went.

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!