IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge August 2017

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, iacas said:

Well, I gave you the Broke 80 badge too. Way back in My, I see. If I miss something, just point it out to me again. Sometimes I load up a page and respond later, but miss a post in between when I load it and when I respond to it.

No worries... thanks. 

August 10th:  Took some slow swings with my 8 iron in the garage.  concentrating on my back swing and getting into a proper position to trigger a good downswing.  My problem is often coming dropping too far inside and getting stuck.  Finished with some fast swings with the Speed Stick.  Going to Tacoma for 3 days for the Army... hoping to be able to continue to post some practice.  taking the Orange Whip. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

August 10,

Hit about 75 balls into my impact screen. Took slow deliberate swings working on keeping my trail foot from spinning out towards the ball. This has been my biggest struggle.

8/11/17:

133 days in a row. Worked on wedge play today in the yard... May attempt to sneak 9 holes today, but I don't know the weather looks dodgey.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Aug. 11 

Played 18 holes in Round 5 of the local Amateur circuit. This round was an absolute disaster. Nothing positive to mention.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

August 11.  I spent the day wondering why I practice if I'm still going to have a round where I hit 4 GIR, maybe 7 near-GIR, and shoot a 92.  I guess I practice so that's a 92 and not a 102.  In any case, not a great start to my club championship.  I spent two hours practicing after -- 30 minutes putting, an hour at the range (30 balls) working just on key points lately (hands high at A4, etc), then another 30 putting.  

Lost 6.5 shots on approach today, compared with an average of 3 my five previous rounds.  I also had two terrible drives that ended up under 160 yards, and I was lucky they weren't O.B. really.  Hopefully I got all my mistakes out of my system in time for round two tomorrow!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

August 11: spend 10 to 15 minutes working with the orange whip. Most of the day was spent at the firing range  so I spent time working on my stance and set up. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Aug. 12

Recovering from yesterday, a cartpath-only round on a wet course that got even more rain during the round. The guys at Senior Coffee this morning said our group rarely plays the course because it is too hilly for some of the guys to handle on cartpath-only days.

I felt better this morning, and warmed up on the way to the course with some time on the elliptical bike. This really loosened up my lower back and hips after yesterday's adventure.

At the practice range I worked on contact chips, wedges, then driver and hybrid. I focused on the recent lesson, keeping my weight balance more even on the long clubs, and making sure I didn't twitch my hips or shoulders to open during address. When I get a little tired, my right shoulder sometimes tightens and stands to creep forward in my stand. Also checked on my grip - pro noted I had a strong left hand and neutral right. I had wanted to have neutral-neutral 'cause I'm a bit hansy.

After a dozen dumpy shots with my driver, finally started making very good contact. I may have been overswinging a bit yesterday. Followed up with some solid 4H shots. Key seems to be to stroke through the ball and finish high, not try to muscle it. Too much muscle from top tends to create side spin, and low pulls or an occasional slice.

Next I went in to get Coffee. Gary had brought in some bagels with cream cheese (we rotate who brings the snack.) Nice break.

Then, I walked back over to the range and hit some 6 irons, and fairway woods. Again, I wanted to stroke the ball. On FWs I had gone up a degree each to 16* and 20*, and this seems to help on launch.

Tomorrow I will chip and putt and hit a few partial wedges - a half hour at most. I want to be fresh for Monday's first round of the Senior Championship.

Edited by WUTiger

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

8/12/17:

Worked on chipping this morning, mostly the focus was tempo, making sure I accelerate without getting jabby.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

August 12 - off day today. Knee feels ok.  Did some shoulder turn stretches. Tomorrow will be either playing or range. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8/12:

Played 18 today.   Worked on trying to improve GIR.   Since it was a practice round and I play fast, I hit a second ball into the green when I missed.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Dang.  I forgot August 11 due to some family stuff.  But I did get in a few swings against my impact screen working on slowing the hands.

August 12th

Played 18.  Was not pretty.  Shot a 105.  Looking at the video I took, I'm coming across the ball bad.

August 12.  Round two of the club championship, so I played 18 with normal warm up beforehand.  Despite missing the cut, I did have some positive takeaways;  among other things, the past few weeks have shown me what short game practice can do for tournament prep (no, I'm not going to become a "the short game should dominate your practice time" guys).  And today, for the first time, I lost fewer strokes putting than a typical 15 handicap (3.44 vs 3.48).  Considering how much of the summer I've been sitting at "you'd improve if an average 20 handicap could putt for you," this is very welcome.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

August 13 - an hour at the range working on getting my hips to open more from P5.5 to impact. Mostly slow swings but finished with full swings. Also did some pitching and sand shots. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8/13/17:

Chipping and pitching in the yard. Again worked on not being jabby, and keeping my weight in my left side. 

Did all of this while listening to Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd. Today is the 44th anniversary of the release of Skynyrd's first album.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Aug. 13

Worked on my wedges and putting for a half hour.

Practiced some chip shots off of very bushy fringe of practice green, and short hinge-and-hold shots with SW and LW. Also did some half swings with SW, and just played around with LW out of different grass lengths and lies. Focus on landing point... focus on landing point...

Also practices some lag putts and 5- and 10-footers. Just need to make sure I settle in and visualize the path of the putts before I hit them.

A few balls were laying around the practice tee, so I hit three drives before I left: All high and solid... hope they emerge for tomorrow's opening round of the Senior Championship.

Edited by WUTiger

8/13:

Spent 90 minutes at the driving range, took the phone and tripod to record some swings.   Everything looks different on video!  

I tried the four ball chipping challenge and failed miserably.  

I hit some nice flop shots but still can't get it high enough to catch one.

I spent time with my 8 iron, deliberately focusing on take away and swing path.  I thought it was good until I looked at the video.  

A few days ago, I couldn't miss with my driver, today on the range, I struggled.   Going back to chip and putt later tonight

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

August 13.  Missed the cut so I didn't play today.  Reviewed my evolvr lesson and did some VERY SLOW swings A1-A5 to try to get the angle described.  Will do this very much more today and tomorrow, with the hope of a Tuesday range session.  Followed a few through, VERY SLOWLY especially since I'm still on carpet (mat is supposed to ship this week!)

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!