IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge August 2017

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8/17/17:

Played nine holes today. Didn't really keep score. I was about to throw my hybrids in the lake though.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

August 17.  Small bucket at the range (outdoors, ball, video).  Some were half swings with a 6-iron, some were full swings with a 6-iron, plus a few drives to cap it off because drives are fun, and then three gap wedges.

I'm a little worried about how natural my swing now feels since I only started worrying about the evolvr lesson recently.  Either it was a minor change (possible) or I got it quickly (possible, but this is me we're talking about) or I messed up.  Either way, I'll send in the video and find out.

I also did some chipping and putting.  For the latter, I put 12 quarters at the clock faces 5' out and took turns with two balls.  If I made two in a row from a station, I picked up the coin.  I continued until I had picked up every coin.

(Aug: 17 for 17)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Aug. 18

Doing final this-and-that before school starts on Monday (Eclipse Day in StL).

Got in 10 minutes of short putts in living room before work.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

August 18 - I did a therapy workout today and I avoided any twisting on the knee in the downswing. I did do so mirror work on the takeaway. Knee is still wonky.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8/18/17:

Playing nine holes today. 

Did pitch and chip a little bit in the yard this afternoon before leaving for the course.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

August 18.  I've begun travel for the TST So Cal outing, or whatever we're calling it.  I don't much care for the range near where I'm staying ($5 for 25 balls, wtf), but I was there anyway.  Worked on knee in backswing, hands high at A4, plus my priority piece in transition at the range.  Almost entirely 6-iron shots. 

I then putted, trying to hit a variety of 5' or so to a cup that does break.  I also did some speed drills at 10', 15', and 30'.  

And then there was this cup  option, where I hit a number in from 1' to 5'.  And missed a few.  Balls for scale.

20170818_165609.jpg

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Aug. 19

Practiced short game for about a half hour. Worked on lag putts, and 5- to 10-footers. Wanted to make sure I was aligned properly - putter face, stance - and envisioned the track the ball would take. Also wanted smooth takeaway.

Also worked on 8i chip-and-run, and played around with 60* wedge. Greenside grass was to top of ball, rather than the ball being 4 inches deep like past week's tournament. You really had to hit the ball hard to get it out of deeper grass from tournament, making it hard to maintain tempo.

Edited by WUTiger

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

8/19/17:

Worked on taking the club back "slower" mostly with tempo drills.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

August 19.  Played 18.  Scored an 84 (ESC 83).  One triple (8 on a par-5, a bad tee shot as first and a really bad sand shot for no. 4) and three doubles (first hole drive behind a tree and was unsuccessful in going over it, O.B. on a par 3 followed by a "par," then another "behind a tree" bad drive followed by a poor punch shot that didn't escape the trees). 

I would offer some GameGolf insights on this but the page is displaying funkily.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

8/20/17:

Easy backswing 9-iron shots in the yard today. I wouldn't call it "slow". Just not "rushed".

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Aug. 20

Crisp half-hour practice session, small bucket of balls, focused on irons.

• Did basic dynamic stretch routine.
  • Did 7i contact drills: 1/4 swing to ensure hip kick started downswing, and contact was solid with draw trajectory.
  • With alignment sticks, set for draw: Hit five 8i and five 5i shots. Varied trajectory on both.
  • Normal set-up routine shots, no sticks. Hit five 8i (most land in nGIR zones) and five 5i (good draw, although most end up "greenside left"

As I was leaving range, I noticed that the practice bunkers were dry for the first time in two weeks (at last week's tournament course, practice bunkers were wet  - and beat up.) Added 15 minutes of bunker practice.

With open face on 54⁰ SW, got decent contact and clear out of sand on 5 of 6 shots. Also, I hit fairway bunker shots with a 6 iron. Got the ball out all four times, about 120 yards fairly straight. May need to choke down a bit on shaft so I have better chance of ball first on fairway bunker shots.

August 20.  Medicine ball drill for driver.  Admittedly, getting better at golf was only one of my two reasons for this (in looking at recent swing videos, I think I need to lose some weight and I think this will help with that too).

-- Michael | My swing! 

Aug. 21

Practiced wedge shots, Pre-Eclipse, in my back yard. Hit shots with my old Cleveland 54°/12 CG14 sand wedge. Working on hinge-and hold, and 1/4 shots.

Although the CG14 has the same bounce and loft as my Callaway MD3, it also has a sharper leading edge. Thus, the CG14 might end up back in my bag when I play courses with trashed-out bunkers - probably less likely to skip into ball when sand is thin.

Edited by WUTiger

8/21/17:

Eclipse day in North America.

Some shots with PW, 7i, and 5i, focus was my not rushed backswing. Great results.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

August 21 - Did some mirror swings, but it really stressed the knee. I will be taking a break for a while.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!