IGNORED

Good idea to shorten my backswing as a senior?

Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played in district Senior championship (age 64-69) with a 2.7 HDCP player. He was about 5-foot-9, 150 lbs., and in pretty good shape physically.

Round 2 was veeeery slow, so those of us in our threesome game quick golf clinics to each other on the nature-goals of our swing.

Mr. 2.7 said he had shoulder surgery 10 years ago, and found that a shorter swing was easier to control, and easier to do. He had maybe a 3/4 swing at most, and hit solid trap draws with his irons and hybrids. His driver and woods flew in a high draw. His swing was smooth and effortless, with lots of acceleration through impact.

Another older buy I played with had a spinny flat swing, with the clubhead maybe coming up to ear level on backswing. It was an armsy followthrough, but he got a consistent low draw that ran out for decent yardage. Nothing you would want to teach a 10-year-old, but it worked for him.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope this doesn't come across as a snide remark, I really don't mean it that way. 

In answer to the question, "should I shorten my back swing as a senior?" I would say no.  Your back swing will shorten itself.   If you take as good a turn as you can and stay connected, that's all you need to do.   Your back swing will be whatever it can be. 

I'm not an instructor, I am just another hacker, but from my observation, almost everyone who talks about "shortening their back swing" really just needs to stay connected.   Their arms are coming loose at the top.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I hope this doesn't come across as a snide remark, I really don't mean it that way. 

In answer to the question, "should I shorten my back swing as a senior?" I would say no.  Your back swing will shorten itself.   If you take as good a turn as you can and stay connected, that's all you need to do.   Your back swing will be whatever it can be. 

I'm not an instructor, I am just another hacker, but from my observation, almost everyone who talks about "shortening their back swing" really just needs to stay connected.   Their arms are coming loose at the top.

I would add to keep working on the flexibility too. They may not be able to increase range of motion much, but they can stop it from getting shorter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/28/2017 at 7:07 AM, Marty2019 said:

I can agree with this. A strike delivered solidly into the back of the ball will outperform any glancing blow from a loopy swing! 

Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!