IGNORED

Good idea to shorten my backswing as a senior?

Note:Β This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I am a male senior golfer. Β Just started back playing a few months ago. Β Went to the pro shop here in town and got on the swing monitor. Β Haven't been on one in years. Β I figured I would be in a senior flex but it turned out I have enough swing speed left for a regular flex. Β 

With the different drivers and shafts we tried I was in the 83 to 86 mph swing speed. Β With a 6 iron I was at 67 to 68. Β With the different drivers and shafts I tried I ended up buying a used Titletidt 917d2 driver with a regular flex Dianna 60 shaft. Β On the monitor it was giving best results for spin, launch and carry. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

I also ended up buying some used Ping g20 irons with their cfs shafts in regular flex. Β It seemed like I hit them good inside on the monitor. Β I was carting the 6 iron around 130 which is about all I can do. Β 

I stopped on the way home at the school yard and hit a few with the nine iron and couldn't hit it 80 yards and shaking shots which I don't generally do. Β I was hitting off taller grass like being in the rough. Β I hope this was what was going on. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

Anyway I was watching a video on YouTube about senior swings. Β I myself don't have a lot of flexibility. There is a guy on there that has a video and he basically makes a 1/2 to a 3/4 swing. That's about where I am at. Β The guy that has the video calls his site senior golf lessons 2/6 backswing. Β 

When I watch this video that looks like that is about as far as I can bring the club back comfortably. Β Would this be a good swing to copy?

Edited by RandallT
Changed title. Added paragraphs!!!

We'd have to see the video to see if it's a good thing to emulate. Β There are certainly successful golfers whose full swings look like they're about to chip a ball, but they're on the tee with a driver and it goes far.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The name of the video on youtube is Senior Golf Lessons 2/6 backswing. Β He has several videos and most of them are on a shorter swing.Β  It looks like if you can't make a big turn and are not real flexibleΒ Β it could be a good swingΒ Β to learn. Β Take a look at his video and see what you think. Β I forgot to put that I will be 71 the end of this month. Β I know I am not going to hit it 250 down the middle or hit a 7 iron 175. Β If I just can be consistent and keep my drives in the fairway and average 210 or 215 I would be elated. Β I hope I can work with this new driver and get to that point. Β On the swing monitor I was carring the driver around 190 and the 6 iron he had made up around 130. Β  I know I hit a lot of my balls with and open club face which is killing my distance.Β Going to keep working on it. Β Thanks for the input.

I'm 71 (72 in a couple of months), and back at golf seriously in the last 11/2 years. Much the same swing speed, etc as you Thumbtack. I practice 2xweek, sometimes more, Β and play 1xweek. The practice helps flexibility as does stretching exercises. Anyway, I suggest practicing a "turn to tight without tension"Β routine and letting the left heel lift on the turn. That way, the turn is not artificially short but fits your body. Tension is the killer. Also, oddly enough, I have found that gripping downwind and standing a little closer to the ball can lead to solid strikes and a bit more distance. The most important thing for us older guys is to be patient, walk slow and drink water. Β Best of luck, -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite,Β A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy ProlaunchΒ Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed)Β Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce;Β PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Marvchamp Β stole my Thunder - Β Let the left heel rise if need be going back - coil don't slideΒ 

don't have to think shorter swing ,just be more efficient . Β 

12 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

"turn to tight without tension

excellent description . Swing freely coming down getting weight into the left side is key ! Experiment with wrist tension if you can find a more relaxed wrist flex coming down the club head will naturally lag and you can gain easy yardsΒ 

good luck & think longer - wider Β  Β not shorter Β 

Watch this video a couple of times. Β If you think Shawn makes sense for you, let me know and I'll send you a list of his videos that organize his teachings into a method that works for seniors. Β I'm 59 and hitting the ball farther and with better dispersion than I have for years. Β Oh, the back doesn't hurt any more either. Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, ThumbtackR9 said:

Yeah, I would like to see some more Clements videos. Β He makes a lot of sense.

Post a video of your swing...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

23 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm 59, after I started making a bigger turn I hitΒ the ball better.

This!!! I worked on flexibility. Ended up with a bigger turn, more control and distance.Β 

Work on your flexibility - it's not difficult, takes 20-30 minutes before activity, and will help your general health as well as your golf.

See Joey D Golf. Skilz GolfStrong, etc.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:05 PM, MarvChamp said:

I practice 2xweek, sometimes more, Β and play 1xweek. The practice helps flexibility as does stretching exercises. Anyway, I suggest practicing a "turn to tight without tension"Β routine and letting the left heel lift on the turn. That way, the turn is not artificially short but fits your body.

This 66-year-old is in the same camp with Marv.

The "turn to tight without tension" meshes with a lot of golf lesson advice. When I try to turn past tight... I'm allowing harmful hand flourishes to creep in, which must be compensated for on the downswing. This can lead to O-T-T and other bad vectors.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:39 AM, ThumbtackR9 said:

I myself don't have a lot of flexibility. There is a guy on there that has a video and he basically makes a 1/2 to a 3/4 swing. That's about where I am at.

TR's point reminds me of a spring tune-up lesson. I told my pro that I had been working on a 3/4 swing, and I seemed to have better balance and power through the ball. He watched me hit a few, thenΒ looked at me and grinned.

"You really have a 7/8 swing, which is a lot better than overswinging. Most amateurs think their backswing is a lot shorter than it is."

So go with a consistent swing that works. Golfdom has an instructional sub-industry in helping seniors tweak their swings for longevity.Β 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

I golf with many older guys at my club and most never swung a club properly the many years they have played,
While through the years they lose distance due to aging and flexibility limitations.
The things I see the most, many never use their lower body and they only swing with the upper body and arms and hands.

I can count on just one hand, those who are still single digit, still have decent distant to play any yardage course and compete at their level
with all members.

I feel having good basic swing fundamentals will carry those as they age, along with good health and staying flexible will bring enjoyment playing as they get older.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I find I play my best golf when I "remember" to make a turn! When I get lazy, or tired, or forget about it, the results suffer. It seems that when we get older, nothing is automatic anymore!

As far as the 2/6 backswing goes, I don't know if that refers to timing or length. 2/6 equal 1/3, and I don't think you'd get too far with 1/3 of a backswing!

Heck, I've seen Michelle Wie stripe Drivers 270+ with a backswing where her hands got only shoulder high. But there was plenty of lower body motion in the equation!

My Medicare card came with arthritis which helped shorten my swing. Now IΒ focus on making a shoulder turn, swing till I get tight and make the bad shots "less worse". Overall I'm tryingΒ to be more efficient with the shorter swing, more hits in center of the club and less fats/thins. While my scores aren'tΒ reflecting it yet, my ball striking seems to have improved and I spend more time on the short grass.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 Β clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Β 

Yeah my Medicare Card with a lot of extra stuff too. Β I just do the best I can. Β I'll hit a good one every now and then. Β So far it's enough to keep me going back. Β I did buy me a used TitletistΒ 917 d2 driver. Β I was used to hitting a shorter driver, although the swing weight was way off but I liked the shortness of it. Β I may talk to the shop where I got the driver and see it they can shorten it up a little and still keep close to the swing weight somehow. Β With shorter club I can hit closer to the sweet spot most of the time. Β Is there anyone on the forum that does work like this. Β We only have one shop in town. Β I wouldn't mind sending it to someone and let them shorten it, reswingweight and regrip it. Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!