IGNORED

My Swing (wakefield724)

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 99
My typical ball flight is: 285
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hitting irons off ground 

this shot went about 290.  I'm trying to get to 325. Any advice would help. 

Please use a website like Youtube to upload your videos to then post the URL link here. The forum will embed the videos automatically. 

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (wakefield724)

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 99
My typical ball flight is: fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: increase distance 

Videos: 

This one went about 290. Trying to get up to 325 this year. 

58 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: increase distance 

Well that just seems dumb.-Do you want to shoot better scores or just be a guy who sometimes hits it 300 in some random direction?

• Like 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Well that just seems dumb.-Do you want to shoot better scores or just be a guy who sometimes hits it 300 in some random direction?

I've accepted I'll never be a tremendous golfer. Starting at 26 I'm too old to be great one day. So Im looking to compete in long drive competitions and I'd like to be a solid driver when playing in outings. 

• Administrator

Really?

I teach a woman who took up the game in her 50s. She's a 3.4 now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

you definitely seem like a big strong man

focus on your core and try to load more using your big frame and legs.

the more stable your lower body is, the more chances of not missing your "miss" and all power will be directed to the ball. In the other words, don't jump out of your Shoes! you are not Bubba!

I agree with others - you say you want to be able to hit irons off the ground, but haven't posted a swing of those. If you do hit it 285, you've got enough distance. 325 shouldn't be the goal (especially as it looks like you have limited control of the club face - trying to hit further at this stage will only increase the scale of your misses). You've started a swing thread, so that's the first step, why not now post your swing. From what I can tell, your main issue will be your head movement and weight distribution, which will give you the poor contacts, particularly with your irons, but it'll be easier to work out with a down the line clip and a face on clip. Check this out for guidelines for posting swing videos:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

You'll get a lot of good advice here, so have an open mind and embrace the process that'll lead you to get better - notably specific practice on your priorities.

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I'm kind of confused.  Last Wednesday, you were worried about a consistent hook:

Now, five short days later, your consistent ball flight is a fade.  Which is it?  

I agree with some of the others, you'll need to improve your lower body motion and overall stability to hit any shot more consistently, whether its your driver or your wedge.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm kind of confused.  Last Wednesday, you were worried about a consistent hook:

Now, five short days later, your consistent ball flight is a fade.  Which is it?  

I agree with some of the others, you'll need to improve your lower body motion and overall stability to hit any shot more consistently, whether its your driver or your wedge.  

Yea im not sure what changed. I switched to a different ball (callaway diablo) and now I'm hitting straighter and not as high.   I'm trying to put it closer to the middle of my stance which helps a lot with the hook. 

I'm getting my first lessons today at 1:30. Maybe I'll learn why that happens 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

Yea im not sure what changed. I switched to a different ball (callaway diablo) and now I'm hitting straighter and not as high.   I'm trying to put it closer to the middle of my stance which helps a lot with the hook. 

I'm getting my first lessons today at 1:30. Maybe I'll learn why that happens.

From whom?

And the ball in the middle of your stance… with a driver???

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

From whom?

And the ball in the middle of your stance… with a driver???

Just finished a lesson from GolfTec. I put the all in middle of stance because if I didn't I'd pull it hard every time. Found out from my coach I was doing the wrong club head path and bending my arms too much. Also tried the M1 which i hit much better. 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Just finished a lesson from GolfTec. I put the all in middle of stance because if I didn't I'd pull it hard every time. Found out from my coach I was doing the wrong club head path and bending my arms too much. Also tried the M1 which i hit much better. 

Yeah, don't. That's not the ball position for your clubs. You swing left, and the face goes left, and the farther forward it is the more you pull it left because the more left you swing… but a back ball position is compensating for a compensation. Fix the error.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yeah, don't. That's not the ball position for your clubs. You swing left, and the face goes left, and the farther forward it is the more you pull it left because the more left you swing… but a back ball position is compensating for a compensation. Fix the error.

How do you fix it. Do i kind of come over top a bit more? Or can I face a club head more open when approaching? 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, wakefield724 said:

How do you fix it. Do i kind of come over top a bit more? Or can I face a club head more open when approaching? 

You just took a lesson, no?

Nobody here can help you much with the video you posted. It's from a poor angle and not high speed or anything.

You said in your lesson you had an issue with the path. You swing left. So you try to square the face up to the path a bit, which is also left… and so fixing the path will help to fix the face.

Note: This thread is 2447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!