Jump to content
IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?


Recommended Posts

I was at a club playing with friends for father's day last weekend and some younger men rolled by with music blaring out of a cart. I thought it was odd. It was loud enough to hear from 30-40 yds away. Though I can see how music could help drown out other distracting noises. I'd give it a  whirl but I like to hear the sounds of the course, birds, water, wind though the trees etc. Part of the allure for me is being outside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got finished writing up the rules sheet for our first tournament of the season and the first thing we did was put in this local rule prohibiting music on the course. It just doesn't have a plac

Ugh. If only people who want to hear the music can hear the music, do what makes you happy. If someone who doesn't want to hear the music can, it's discourteous.

I am very much a music lover. That being said, time & a place. In my humble opinion. Not on the course. I feel it distracts from the natural rhythm of the day. I like to hear the frogs & the b

Posted Images

I don't like it in my group but I don't let it get to me. Last weekend though, there were some hillbillies ahead of us having a hootenanny. Getting boozed up, hooting and hollering, blaring country, playing extremely slow, way behind the group ahead of them, and causing a traffic jam. But the course we were at doesn't care, you pay, you play, and they don't turn anyone away no matter how busy they are. Which is why I go there about once every 10 years.

But if you're moving along and I can faintly here it, whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont prefer it, and if other groups can't hear it then knock yourself out. Personally golf is my chance to unplug. I listen to my Ipod alot at work and my time on the course I like to hear the sounds of the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I dont prefer it, and if other groups can't hear it then knock yourself out. Personally golf is my chance to unplug. I listen to my Ipod alot at work and my time on the course I like to hear the sounds of the course.

Yup. When I do any recreating, I prefer to immerse myself in the recreation, and not into music. Conversely, when I listen to or make music, I prefer to not be doing anything else..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gonna bring my ipod to the course with me yesterday but thought better of it... only reason is the concern for communication. If someone is yelling "four" and I'm in lala land listening to whatever, it could make for an awkward moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The reason is that on a golf course, sound carries. If you can hear someone hitting a golf ball in the other fairway any music just at an enjoyable level around your group, would carry. If that music is hear by at least one other person than in your group, you are being a disturbance to other people. Also there is a chance you might forget to turn it down, that in itself is enough reason not to even try it. Because messing up someone's tee shot, or someone's putt could seriously ruin that person's day. What if you accidently mess up someones first birdie or eagle putt ever, or a putt on the 18th green for there personal best record. I'm sorry if i am sounding strict, but bringing something that obviously doesn't belong on the golf course, just because it might be enjoyed by one group, has the potential to interfere with other groups, even if you try not to is to much of a risk in my opinion. Like i said, if i am playing a group near them and i hear a radio or music on i would call the golf course. Its just not about my game, its about everyone else as well. Its just being considerate. I don't mind headphones because those would not effect someone else. To me i rather be considerate of other's over having music on the golf course.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

The reason is that on a golf course, sound carries. If you can hear someone hitting a golf ball in the other fairway any music just at an enjoyable level around your group, would carry. If that music is hear by at least one other person than in your group, you are being a disturbance to other people. Also there is a chance you might forget to turn it down, that in itself is enough reason not to even try it. Because messing up someone's tee shot, or someone's putt could seriously ruin that person's day. What if you accidently mess up someones first birdie or eagle putt ever, or a putt on the 18th green for there personal best record. I'm sorry if i am sounding strict, but bringing something that obviously doesn't belong on the golf course, just because it might be enjoyed by one group, has the potential to interfere with other groups, even if you try not to is to much of a risk in my opinion. Like i said, if i am playing a group near them and i hear a radio or music on i would call the golf course. Its just not about my game, its about everyone else as well. Its just being considerate. I don't mind headphones because those would not effect someone else. To me i rather be considerate of other's over having music on the golf course.

Very well said.  I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one on the course who actually has respect for other players.  I can't say I don't bring my phone on the course, but A) you'll never see me on it and B) it's always set to silent.  Music?  I'd never even think of playing music on the course.  I can't imagine anyone that I play golf with would do so either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I hate it.  Speaking as a musician, I don't see how anybody can listen to music all day, but that's beside the point.  I can see PLAYING music all day, but I don't want to see people carrying guitars with them out there, either.  One of the attractions of golf is escaping noise pollution for a while.  If I want to listen to bad music, all I have to do is go to the grocery store.  Hearing a radio on the course lowers to whole tone of the experience, even if it's somebody keeping up with a ballgame.  And unless you're on call for work, I don't want to hear anybody talking on a cellphone, either.  But then, I also hate golf carts, so I'm just an old curmudgeon.  Feel free to ignore my grumbling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by saevel25

To me i rather be considerate of other's

It is my opinion that snitching on a group that isn't bothering others by playing music is being inconsiderate of those persons who are taking time out of their day, and paying their hard earned money, to enjoy the course just as much as you are.

Most ipod speakers are no louder than the stopping or starting sounds of a cart.  Get over yourself on this one and admit you are wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Im not in your group and its loud enough that I can hear it at all, Id call the clubhouse and complain too.  Why?  Because I can.  Why do you NEED to listen to music out on the course?  Golf for me is a time to get away from all the annoyances of daily life and I dont want to listen to background music, even if its music I may happen to like.  Seriously, if you need music to help pass the time on the course, maybe golf isnt for you and you should take up fishing or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MrSandman

It is my opinion that snitching on a group that isn't bothering others by playing music is being inconsiderate of those persons who are taking time out of their day, and paying their hard earned money, to enjoy the course just as much as you are.

Most ipod speakers are no louder than the stopping or starting sounds of a cart.  Get over yourself on this one and admit you are wrong.


Like I said before, it doesn't bother me but I would prefer to not have it. It is a bit presumptive to assume though that it doesn't bother other people. Clearly it does. It has become a trend this year I have noticed.

Everyone does pay the same amount and takes the same time but the "norm" is no music and that would be a battle never won with the clubhouse. Sure there are things as loud if not louder at the course, but me being forced to listen to Kanye West (not the point who, but this instance was Kanye) a few weeks ago is a little different than a braking cart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the "norm" is not to complain about this.  I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for listening to music on the golf course.

rangers these days don't do crap anyway.  So your phone call to the clubhouse wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  All you are doing is getting aggravated and worked up over something that shouldn't be bothering you.  (and don't say you are not getting aggravated or worked up, the fact that you call the clubhouse proves that you are)

music on the course, so long as listened to responsibly, is perfectly acceptable.  People who complain should be shown the door and/or go spend some money on a private course that has a no muic policy.  If you are too cheap for a private course, or too poor, then you cannot complain about what others are doing.  Or, I guess you can complain, but your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Remark37

Like I said before, it doesn't bother me but I would prefer to not have it. It is a bit presumptive to assume though that it doesn't bother other people. Clearly it does. It has become a trend this year I have noticed.

Everyone does pay the same amount and takes the same time but the "norm" is no music and that would be a battle never won with the clubhouse. Sure there are things as loud if not louder at the course, but me being forced to listen to Kanye West (not the point who, but this instance was Kanye) a few weeks ago is a little different than a braking cart.


Exactly.  Its funny how some people think that just because they paid their money to play that they can do whatever they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MrSandman

the "norm" is not to complain about this.  I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for listening to music on the golf course.

rangers these days don't do crap anyway.  So your phone call to the clubhouse wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  All you are doing is getting aggravated and worked up over something that shouldn't be bothering you.  (and don't say you are not getting aggravated or worked up, the fact that you call the clubhouse proves that you are)

music on the course, so long as listened to responsibly, is perfectly acceptable.  People who complain should be shown the door and/or go spend some money on a private course that has a no muic policy.  If you are too cheap for a private course, or too poor, then you cannot complain about what others are doing.  Or, I guess you can complain, but your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Sounds like now youre the one who needs to get over yourself and admit that youre wrong. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Music on the course is just as acceptable as talking.

If you don't like music on the course, then save your pennies and join a private course that doesn't allow it.  But as long as you are poor and/or cheap, you will learn that I am correct and that the pro shop/rangers don't give a damn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MrSandman

the "norm" is not to complain about this.  I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for listening to music on the golf course.

rangers these days don't do crap anyway.  So your phone call to the clubhouse wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  All you are doing is getting aggravated and worked up over something that shouldn't be bothering you.  (and don't say you are not getting aggravated or worked up, the fact that you call the clubhouse proves that you are)

music on the course, so long as listened to responsibly, is perfectly acceptable.  People who complain should be shown the door and/or go spend some money on a private course that has a no muic policy.  If you are too cheap for a private course, or too poor, then you cannot complain about what others are doing.  Or, I guess you can complain, but your complaint will fall on deaf ears.


Unless you're referring to the other person but commenting on mine, you are wrong. Did you not read? I don't, I have never complained to the course. I just said I would prefer not to listen to it. I agree rangers don't do anything, at least from what I've seen. Occasionally speed up play, but that's very occasionally.

I wouldn't say it is acceptable as much as tolerated. But if you are being responsible, I shouldn't hear it anyway, so once again, moot point. And I wouldn't agree that the person complaining about the music should be shown the door as much as the person playing it. I think neither should be kicked out as much as asked to turn down or off the music.

And the assumption that someone is too cheap or poor (which I am neither, just don't want to listen to it) is absurd. We all pay the same and abide by the course rules. It just seems that you are being selfish and not caring what others think despite asking their opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Music While Golfing

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I own a Kirk Currie pro fit putter.  I’m looking for a medium weighted sole plate for mine.  I currently have the heavy weighted sole plate. Anybody interested in selling me the medium weighted play, the entire balancing kit, or Kirk Currie 3 putter? thanks in advance for your feedback. Sonofjimmy
    • Imagine that.  Argue with the owner of a forum; be disrespectful of the forum, its members, and said owner, get banned.  Shocking.  One fears poor Bones is in for a rude surprise if he expects anything else anywhere else. I've long wondered about that strike I've seen through some members' nicks.  Now I know--complements of ex-member Bones. As for his original topic: To each their own.  I haven't practiced on the course, yet, but it's something I may try this coming season.
    • Is this true? I must be picturing something different in my mind, basically a skinny regular cart, but I guess I've never really seen one
    • Welcome to TST! Wow, broke 90 in your first year.  You don't mention any instruction during the season, so I guess you did it on your own?  Doubly impressive.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. dpriceva
      dpriceva
      (59 years old)
    2. Jim C
      Jim C
      (60 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...