IGNORED

TaylorMade M2 irons

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I have a set of the 2016 version with the Reax standard shaft in stiff.

If you hit them well, they are high and long. I was having trouble with my old irons, and these are probably 1.5 to 2 clubs longer-on a good strike.

I am having iron trouble right now, but they don't seem particularly forgiving--that statement qualified by the first part of this sentence. My good shots are pretty good, but my bad shots are beyond forgiveness right now.

For what its worth, if they don't get a lot better in the next couple of weeks, I am likely trading for Titleist 718 AP1's. I know it's the indian not the arrow.

If you had trouble with your old irons, and youre having trouble with a VERY forgiving iron set now, which are in the "super game improvement" category according to the Maltby Playability factor (http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-head-ratings/), AND you admitted you know its the indian not the arrow, why spend at least a couple hundred on another iron set? Why not just take a few lessons and actually improve your swing? Or if you are already taking lessons, be patient and wait for the swing to improve. Switching from 2016 M2s to 718 AP1's wont make you become a pure ball striker. Once the newness of the AP1's wears off I think you'll be in the same position you are in right now.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, klineka said:

Why do you think it is dishonest? Making stronger lofts has no affect on how far each individual club will go. The 30 degree loft club will still go xxx yards, regardless of what arbitrary number is stamped on the bottom of it.  All that it means is that an M2 8 iron will go as far as an older or "typical" 7 iron... so what?

They aren't lying or being dishonest. An M2 7 iron will go further than your 7 iron, all else equal. For some golfers, all they care about is hitting a specific club further than their buddies.

I was responding to an earlier post that claimed he got more distance with the M2 7 iron, but that's meaningless today. I've harped on this more than enough, and I realize most agree with your POV, and you're welcome to it. That said, there's no reason clubmakers couldn't have stayed with classic lofts instead of jacking up lofts and then advertising a misleading 'our irons are X yards longer than Y' Your statement in red acknowledges same and discredits the 'we had to reduce loft due to lower CG/higher trajectory' BS that many offer up in defense.

Presumably most low HI players know what lofts they're buying, but many/most buyers don't, many assume all 7 irons have about the same loft. Used to be true, not anymore thanks to clubmakers. Almost no one in my league has any idea what their iron lofts are, and some don't realize that clubmakers have radically changed them over the years. 

And many just like to brag 'I hit a 7 iron' when it's the same as a classic 5 iron - it's as much as 2 clubs differential now. We've all been asked 'what did you hit?' after a nice iron shot - it's a meaningless question nowadays. I've yet to hear someone ask 'what loft did you hit?'

One day we'll have 9 irons with 20 degree lofts and carry 8 wedges if they keep it up, is that OK? Or maybe we'll have 3-woods with 9 degree lofts...

4 hours ago, TN94z said:

I don't consider it dishonest when they post the lofts where everyone can see and it's not like they are breaking any rules. I'll hit them and see how they feel. They are supposed to be here today.

Edited by Midpack

1 hour ago, dbuck said:

I have a set of the 2016 version with the Reax standard shaft in stiff.

If you hit them well, they are high and long. I was having trouble with my old irons, and these are probably 1.5 to 2 clubs longer-on a good strike.

I am having iron trouble right now, but they don't seem particularly forgiving--that statement qualified by the first part of this sentence. My good shots are pretty good, but my bad shots are beyond forgiveness right now.

For what its worth, if they don't get a lot better in the next couple of weeks, I am likely trading for Titleist 718 AP1's. I know it's the indian not the arrow.

Sometimes, the Indian can change the arrow and it could possibly help a lot. If hitting shiny new sticks makes you feel better about your round albeit with the same score, then that's the right course of action. :-) That's what I do, it makes me feel good about my terrible scores. :-D

1 hour ago, klineka said:

If you had trouble with your old irons, and youre having trouble with a VERY forgiving iron set now, which are in the "super game improvement" category according to the Maltby Playability factor (http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-head-ratings/), AND you admitted you know its the indian not the arrow, why spend at least a couple hundred on another iron set? Why not just take a few lessons and actually improve your swing? Or if you are already taking lessons, be patient and wait for the swing to improve. Switching from 2016 M2s to 718 AP1's wont make you become a pure ball striker. Once the newness of the AP1's wears off I think you'll be in the same position you are in right now.

There's something about feeling good about your round as well. Feel good about that double, makes your life feel way better when you only think about that 6i shot that flew a dogleg 200 yards into the woods as in "Holy crap, I flew a 6i 200 yards!?!" :-D

One day we'll have 9 irons with 20 degree lofts and carry 8 wedges if they keep it up, is that OK? Or maybe we'll have 3-woods with 9 degree lofts...

Yeah, that could be pretty extreme, but I don't really see a 20 degree 9i unless it has a super hot face. Otherwise,. . .that brings up another point. They can sell "Wedge sets" that match the current technology for standard irons. A manufacturer's win-win. . . :-D

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So I finally took these to the range yesterday. They were obviously longer than my MP32s but I didn't have my range finder so I couldn't accurately say how much. They were much easier to hit, as expected. The thing I liked about them was my mishits still go really well. I was pretty happy with them honestly. The sound they have, in my opinion, just sounded like a very well struck and compressed golf ball. They did have quite a different sound that my Mizunos. I plan on at least playing my next few rounds with them to figure out the distances and then give them a thorough review.

The question I have is this...Will I have any negative effects by gaming these instead of the MP32s as a lower handicapper? I am currently working out some flaws in my swing and my thinking is that these irons will allow me to still play very well while hitting the bad shots associated with swing changes. With that being said, I don't want to get a false sense of security on my swing changes by these clubs helping with those bad shots. Does that make any sense at all...haha?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 minutes ago, TN94z said:

The question I have is this...Will I have any negative effects by gaming these instead of the MP32s as a lower handicapper? I am currently working out some flaws in my swing and my thinking is that these irons will allow me to still play very well while hitting the bad shots associated with swing changes. With that being said, I don't want to get a false sense of security on my swing changes by these clubs helping with those bad shots. Does that make any sense at all...haha?

I dont think there would be any negative effects. The point of the game is to shoot the lowest score possible, and if those irons are the most effective in helping you do that, then it doesnt matter what handicap you are. You should still be able to tell/feel when you mishit the ball and dont strike it in the center of the clubface, so you will still be able to assess your swing changes even though you are using a more forgiving club.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

So I finally took these to the range yesterday. They were obviously longer than my MP32s but I didn't have my range finder so I couldn't accurately say how much. They were much easier to hit, as expected. The thing I liked about them was my mishits still go really well. I was pretty happy with them honestly. The sound they have, in my opinion, just sounded like a very well struck and compressed golf ball. They did have quite a different sound that my Mizunos. I plan on at least playing my next few rounds with them to figure out the distances and then give them a thorough review.

All of that is urban legend in my opinion.  You will still notice any kind of bad shot.  They will still fly worse than a good shot.  You will still wish you hit that shot better.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:32 AM, klineka said:

Why do you think it is dishonest? Making stronger lofts has no affect on how far each individual club will go. The 30 degree loft club will still go xxx yards, regardless of what arbitrary number is stamped on the bottom of it.  All that it means is that an M2 8 iron will go as far as an older or "typical" 7 iron... so what?

They aren't lying or being dishonest. An M2 7 iron will go further than your 7 iron, all else equal. For some golfers, all they care about is hitting a specific club further than their buddies.

I find it interesting that you wouldnt buy a specific set of clubs because of the lofts, they still have the typical 3-5 degree loft separation between clubs, so that means your gapping should be almost identical between clubs, the only difference would be you would reach for an 8 iron instead of a 7 iron when you are at your normal 7 iron distance. Would only take a couple range sessions and a round or 2 to have a pretty good idea of the new distances for club selection. Seems like a silly reason to automatically discredit and not want to buy a set of irons IMO. 

In fact, the distance gain of one club might very well the "forgiveness" factored into your average shot.

My guess is the lofts are jacked so the face can be made hotter with a larger "forgiveness zone". On perfectly flush shots with a MP-32, the two "7i" might even go the same distances. Also, that the difference being that most of us without a scratch or + handicap can't flush a blade every single time, thus our average strike is farther with an M2 versus a blade type club.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/8/2017 at 11:35 AM, allenc said:

First, play with them a couple rounds to get used to them.  Then play a dozen rounds with your new M2s and your blades, alternating.  Take notes and report back here with your notes and scores for a great SGI vs blades comparison.

Taylor Made M2's won't last that many rounds. The faces collapse. Google it. They're isht

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

5 hours ago, klineka said:

The point of the game is to shoot the lowest score possible, and if those irons are the most effective in helping you do that, then it doesnt matter what handicap you are. You should still be able to tell/feel when you mishit the ball and dont strike it in the center of the clubface, so you will still be able to assess your swing changes even though you are using a more forgiving club.

Very good point

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

My guess is the lofts are jacked so the face can be made hotter with a larger "forgiveness zone". On perfectly flush shots with a MP-32, the two "7i" might even go the same distances.

I think you are correct because many of the shots with my MP32 8i looked to go about the same distance as the M2 8i.

9 minutes ago, Joeyvee said:

Taylor Made M2's won't last that many rounds. The faces collapse. Google it. They're isht

Gave 20.00 for the set...I don't care if the head falls off after 5 rounds. Not to mention that from a previous thread, Taylormade was very good at fixing the issue if anything were to happen to them.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

You're right, I'm just upset because I really like my irons, but my faces have caved in and I'm waiting on replacements now. I'm going to end up going back to Titleists. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

1 hour ago, Joeyvee said:

You're right, I'm just upset because I really like my irons, but my faces have caved in and I'm waiting on replacements now. I'm going to end up going back to Titleists. 

So you went from AP1s to M2? I was just looking at your signature. My plan was to try the AP2 irons but lucked out on these so I figured I would give them a try.

Bryan A

Played my first round with the M2s today. It was different. It seemed like they would really get caught in the rough more than my MP32s. That could have been me but it happened a lot more than usual. The other issue was the insert on the face of the 5i kept popping out. I had to knock it back in with my golf ball every time I hit it. I didn't notice it on the other clubs but it worries me that it will happen on those sooner or later. I'm going to talk with a Taylormade about that issue though. These irons for sure leave me with a big gap in my wedge setup. I go from the M2 pw to my 52*. It was pretty noticeable today. I'll keep the topic updated. I haven't give up on them yet but I'm curious to see what TM has to say about the inserts.

Edited by TN94z
  • Informative 1

Bryan A

I talked with Taylormade and the first guy said no, there is nothing we can do. He was no help. So I hung up frustrated. After thinking about this for a few minutes,I decided to call back. I talked with a different guy this time and explained what happened and he was MORE than willing to help. They are sending me a replacement for the defective iron and he told me if any of the others had the same issue to just call back and they would handle that as well. The first guy I talked with was obviously a prick and didn't want to deal with the problem. The second guy I talked with was so much better.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A

38 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Well, I talked with Taylormade this morning and they were absolutely no help whatsoever, as I assumed they would be since the clubs came from an individual. So I will proceed to sell these and probably won't buy another Taylormade product again. I understand about the warranty and I bought them second hand and all that, but with a club that has known issues, I would think that they would do something to work with me. Their answer was just no, there is nothing we can do. So now they have lost a customer for life. Oh well....glad I didn't have much invested.

Uhhggg.  That sucks.  I was thinking of getting some new Taylormades but now I might choose another company.  You'd think if they are genuine clubs with a serial number and the club actually falls apart on you then Taylormade would help no matter where you bought them.

edit:  I take it all back thanks to the edit of the above post.  I'm thinking of trying the p790s and 770s as well.  They look sweet.

Edited by allenc

1 minute ago, allenc said:

Uhhggg.  That sucks.  I was thinking of getting some new Taylormades but now I might choose another company.  You'd think if they are genuine clubs with a serial number and the club actually falls apart on you then Taylormade would help no matter where you bought them.

I edited that post because I called them right back and talked with a different guy. Read my update. It may change your mind about them. His gesture alone has really gained my respect for Taylormade. Although, I hit one of the Taylormade P790s this weekend and liked it much better than the M2.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

I loved my AP1's. I sold them and recouped a good deal of the originally investment for the amount of rounds, and abuse they took. 

Will the TM's do that? HELL No. They're simply running out the clock replacing clubs until the 2 year warranty is up then you're screwed. I plan on thoroughly testing the replacement irons I received today, and if I see any sign of future failure I will become the biggest pain in the ass until I get a full refund. I, like everybody here, have serious bills to pay, and don't take lightly what I spend my money on. I have never had, or heard of, faces on irons caving in. It's unacceptable and it is a major design flaw. As an Engineer I am embarrassed to have TaylorMade in my bag. I really do not want these clubs anymore, but I guess I am stuck until these inevitable fail. 

Really the only way they can save me as a customer for the future would be to issue me a refund and an apology, but whatever. F**K TaylorMade for now. 

On 9/19/2017 at 12:14 AM, allenc said:

edit:  I take it all back thanks to the edit of the above post.  I'm thinking of trying the p790s and 770s as well.  They look sweet.

On 9/19/2017 at 12:15 AM, TN94z said:

I edited that post because I called them right back and talked with a different guy. Read my update. It may change your mind about them. His gesture alone has really gained my respect for Taylormade. Although, I hit one of the Taylormade P790s this weekend and liked it much better than the M2.

Those P790 look great, and the "goodness factor" was affirmed by the lawsuits. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!