IGNORED

Define The Bad Golfer

Patch
Note: This thread is 2287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, dbuck said:

"And I take the driver cover off at the beginning of the round. "

whats funny about this, is how important the little speed things like this are for people with a double digit handicap to keep the round going quick.   

if you're over a 10, get that driver cover off, get that putter cover off, and leave them off till the round is over.  don't be cleaning your clubs after every shot.  wait until no one is waiting on you and clean a few at a time.  
These little rules apply very much to myself.   

It's funny though, because I play with a few guys that are like 5 hdcps.   they don't have to worry about any of this.   no one is ever waiting on them.  ever.   seems like they have all the time in the world to spit shine their clubs, and knit a new head cover if they need to while the rest of us chunk it around the course.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/14/2017 at 12:08 PM, Lihu said:

I agree mostly with the golfers who stated that skill level doesn't matter so much. We all play at different levels and as long as we enjoy the game and let others enjoy it, that's being a good golfer.

Being polite and not a total @$$ is much more important.

I like this

If this were mixed slow pitch, we'd have a few beers afterwards and not complain about being bad; if I did...I'd hit the ball over the fence or with a new glove I'll...We don't compare ourselves to that guy in the bigs hitting 327. Some of the best in that game only get a hit 327 times out of a 1000

But for some reason with golf, there's this thought that I have to lower my score constantly or I'm bad. If I only hit the golf ball 327 times out of a 1000 swings I'd probably stop

Most of us do not play in tournaments or have dreams of turning pro...we just like playing golf

My best friend is a bad golfer. I believe bad golfers are ones who don’t fix their mistakes. Myself I get lessons, watch YouTube and try new things. Plays a lot and loves golf but is too prideful on getting lessons. He does this weird thing with his feet where his back foot is about 12-15 inches back from his other foot. It’s really weird and causes a short slice every time. Plus he clubs down like crazy. Uses a sand wedge for 180 yard shots. 

Bad is, of course, entirely subjective. I agree with the other comments that we shouldn't look down on other golfers due to ability. 

However, there is a category of golfers that I feel* bad for. These are golfers, a couple I know, who have significant issues that they don't have the awareness and/or discipline to work around. So they lose balls by attempting shots they don't need to risk, and then get disheartened.

* I have to admit, that, being the competitive human that I am,  this feeling bad sometimes only sets in once I know I have them beat :8)

You know it when you see it. 

We have our share of avid "bad" golfers and I avoid playing with them, mainly because of slow play. Last fall I was at the range and walked past two "bad" golfers, one watching the other hit balls with a swing that will never, ever be functional. The other guys says, "looking good!" It took great discipline on my part to keep from cracking up.

Bill M

So many different characteristics that define a bad golfer that I had never even thought about. I'm now going to put 'skill level' as one of the least important identifiers of a bad golfer, far behind the bad attitudes, egos, lack of respect for the game/course/self/others that have been mentioned here. Thanks TST for making me a better person. I mean that.    

First of all it depends on what any one persons ability is at the time. If you are a professional player most any one who is a recreational player sucks. But that aside, I have a little different way of looking at a player and if they suck. Do they every time take 4-5 practice swings before hitting the ball, do they play ready golf of just wander around until someone reminds them it is their turn to hit. Do they respect the players they play with and follow etiquette for the most part. If a player has a high handicap, but does not slow down the group they are good players. I have played with guys with low handicaps that I would not want to play with again. Guys who can't break 100 to save their lives that play fast and are good people to play with anytime.

Note: This thread is 2287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!