IGNORED

Pinehurst in October 2017, 1st visit

iSank
Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm dining with the wife (#1 golf partner) she says the company wants to send her to Charlotte, NC for training. When? During my fall break. OK we go. 

So now we are booked, still working on overnight accommodations but The Holly Inn looks agreeable. The deals are daily golf but to play #2 = +$190 each.  We have 4 or 5 other games so let me ask in the negative, what are 3 least favorite courses of the 9?

yea it's been a hell of year, I just look for opportunity. I tried to stay at the village while she went to training but that wasn't received as warmly as I'd hoped. 

Mahalo & Aloha,

Will

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The area has a TON of great golf, and much of it is NOT located at the actual Pinehurst resort.

Pine Needles. Mid-South/Talamore. Mid Pines.

And so, so, so, so many others. Hell, even Tobacco Road is worth a visit one time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iSank said:

The deals are daily golf but to play #2 = +$190 each.  We have 4 or 5 other games so let me ask in the negative, what are 3 least favorite courses of the 9?

1, 3 and 5. They're not bad, just short and pretty vanilla. I've never played them but that's what I'm told.

The ones to play are 2, 4, 6 and 8 (I think 4 is currently going through a remodel). 7 and 9 are private but I think you can still play them, they're good.

With the exception of No. 2, the other five courses I mentioned above are good but not exactly the most "Pinehursty" courses in the area. If you want the minimalist look, no rough, sand, fescue, wire-grass and pine needles check out Pine Needles, Mid-Pines, Dormie Club, Tobacco Road.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

23 minutes ago, mvmac said:

With the exception of No. 2, the other five courses I mentioned above are good but not exactly the most "Pinehursty" courses in the area. If you want the minimalist look, no rough, sand, fescue, wire-grass and pine needles check out Pine Needles, Mid-Pines, Dormie Club, Tobacco Road.

I haven't played Pine-Needles yet. Mid-Pines is fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I haven't played Pine-Needles yet. Mid-Pines is fantastic.

Both are really good. Played Pine Needles about a month ago, I think I slightly prefer Mid-Pines.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I have played all PH (except #2 - too cheap to shell out $400) and Talamore courses now and think Talamore are better value since cost point lower with at least equivalent golf experience. I didn't think about the 'minimalistness' of Talamore in comparison to PH but now that it's mentioned I definitely second that. 

I will say this that if you are not a fan of turtle back greens then Talamore greens are MUCH less contrived. Being a less skilled golfer I had a hard time getting the ball to stop on #8 specifically. At PH, #4 and #7 are my favorites. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

I own a condo in the Pinehurst area, and have been visiting regularly for about 10 years.  First, I know you're coming from a long ways away, I think you've made a great choice staying at the Holly Inn.  This is the first of the Pinehurst Resort hotels to open, and I love the look and the feel and the location of the place.  Of the Pinehurst courses, (excluding #2), My favorites are #4 (currently being renovated I think), #8 (really good, designed with the Donald Ross features in mind, and #9 (a recently acquired Jack Nicklaus design).  I think #3 is also being renovated.  #1 and #5 are well conditioned, but not particularly special in my mind.  I've never played #7, so I won't comment on it.  I'll agree with @mvmac's suggestions for non-Pinehurst properties, with a hearty endorsement for MidPines as my favorite in the area.  My condo is at Talamore, and that's a a good solid course, along with our sister course at MidSouth, an Arnold Palmer design.

Many of the packages at Pinehurst include breakfast and dinner, but if you need recommendations for bars and restaurants, let me know.  Enjoy your time in Carolina (the OTHER state is SOUTH Carolina) and in Pinehurst in particular.  Its one of the good places in this world.

And for my friend  @GolfLug, I told you that the flop shot was NOT the right choice!!!  :beer:

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And for my friend  @GolfLug, I told you that the flop shot was NOT the right choice!!!  :beer:

Aren't you supposed to have more senior moments and start forgetting things by now? :-P

Vishal S.

I forget lots of stuff, just ask Mary Anne.  But not the important stuff!

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks for sharing the local knowledge. We'll spend more time on the east coast in a few years, this is kind of an impromptu trip, I'm off and her company is sending her. We heading back east a few weeks later for Thanksgiving and a couple football games, south east that is. So we wanted to keep it simple and the Holly package seems simple, plus it includes a 2 hour rental of an Acura. Not sure what that's about but there's gotta be a nice drive somewhere nearby. 

Mahalo!

• 3 weeks later...

#7 is well worth the time. it is a members course and it is somewhat more limited in available times but I have played it 3 times and really like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Sounds good, we set up the following six games in 6 days starting with #1 on Friday, then 9, 6, 2 on Monday, and 7 & 8 on our last two days. Looking forward to it! 

Big mahalo to everyone! 

number #1 is meh but it will be in fine condition, 9 is a bit tighter and seems to be endless dogleg right but it is high quality course, 2 is one of my top 5 just a great walk! and 8 is also an awesome golf course, that is a big boys course, make sure you play the proper T's for yourself because it will give you all you want!

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• 2 weeks later...

Heading home tomorrow, what a slice of Heaven in the middle of Carolina. Warmed up on #1, then absolutely enjoyed 9,6, finally we loved 2, 7 & 8. 

9822F30D-1D24-4BC1-91AF-B9D9D15E2A44.jpeg

• Like 4

Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!