IGNORED

LPGA major Evian shortened to 54 Holes

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fans are furious with Evian Championship's decision to shorten major to 54 holes - Golf Digest
https://apple.news/A_wkwmz4zPS6tfFfIDYTlTw

Wow. Major blow to the LPGA and of course the credibility of the Evian. This is not good for the LPGA. Your thoughts?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did they get rained out today?

That's not good at all.

It will have more backlash than benefit. Considering how early in the week they shortened it to 54 holes. 

Who's running this tournament? The Cub Scouts? That's what it sounds like to me. (Wait a minute, the Cub Scouts would do better than this...) 

I understand it's September and it's nigh on impossible to get 36 holes played in one day, but still it's a major, you should have a contingency plan when weather doesn't cooperate... Hell, I run a tournament better than whoever is running the Evian Ladies Masters. 

(I'm not kidding about being on a tournament committee, I'm the verify scores and participate in all committee decisions, for the Club Championship and City Championship at Newman)...

I actually was the deciding vote for the our City Championship on actually playing when we supposed to get clobbered with rain from Harvey... Mike said yes, B.A. said no, I said see what it looks like tomorrow, and call me at 6 am... Lone behold it wasn't terrible, we played anyway and finished on our traditional Labor Day finish.

Could they have played the "wait and see game"? Probably... Did they? No... 

Terrible decision.... The LPGA should have stepped in and said. "Figure out a way to get 72 holes in, or we're pulling the plug on this tournament being a major."

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

I agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

54 hole major? No Bueno! Jeez even the retirement tour wouldn't have a 54 hole major. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Sung Hyun Park really benefited from this. She was +6 thru 5 holes. Got that erased and then goes to fire -7 under with her fresh start. Just don't think that was fair at all. Certainly a poor way to handle a professional golf tournament especially a Major. Haven't heard Inkster comment on it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The 18th hole they made the ladies play would have been brutal for even for men. Don't know if the rain made it play longer or not but watching them having to hit 3 woods and crap into that green was painful. 

442yd par 4? Rough for some of the ladies, yeah. But I don't think that's any problem for the men. That's driver 9i/PW. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

442yd par 4? Rough for some of the ladies, yeah. But I don't think that's any problem for the men. That's driver 9i/PW. 

Downhill too, no?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Downhill too, no?

Yeah, and a convinient bail out spot for short left shots. 

44 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Maybe for some of them. That green complex looked brutal tho. Not really a good bailout for where the pin was. I think men would have struggled with that pin position too. 

I don't get it...it was 442yds. A 280yd drive leaves 162yds. 280yd drive is hardly uncommon for the men, quite a low estimate really. I don't think any player on the men's tour would struggle on that hole. Am I missing something you saw?

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don't get it...it was 442yds. A 280yd drive leaves 162yds. 280yd drive is hardly uncommon for the men, quite a low estimate really. I don't think any player on the men's tour would struggle on that hole. Am I missing something you saw?

Hell, I'm almost 60, and even so pretty short, but I'd expect to at least be able to reach more often than not...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

58 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Hell, I'm almost 60, and even so pretty short, but I'd expect to at least be able to reach more often than not...

That's just impressive and probably why your index is where it is. Other than on long par 3's, I rarely try to hit greens from 190 - 200yds unless they're wide open.

Jon

20 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

That's just impressive and probably why your index is where it is. Other than on long par 3's, I rarely try to hit greens from 190 - 200yds unless they're wide open.

What's the difference between 190-200yds on a par 3 compared to from a fairway? @David in FL is certainly a good golfer but covering 420yds with 2 shots (first being with driver/3 wood isn't something done by low handicappers only. 

26 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What's the difference between 190-200yds on a par 3 compared to from a fairway? @David in FL is certainly a good golfer but covering 420yds with 2 shots (first being with driver/3 wood isn't something done by low handicappers only. 

How many high handicappers do you play with @Vinsk? Do they regularly hit greens with fairway woods? If so, they are better than I am as well as most others I play with.

For me, there is a substantial difference between hitting a 5wood off the tee and a 3wood from off the fairway or out of the rough.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

More to the point, it shouldn't provide the extraordinary challenge to the ladies that @Groucho Valentine indicated...and none at all to PGA Tour Pros.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
On 9/19/2017 at 8:30 PM, JonMA1 said:

How many high handicappers do you play with @Vinsk? Do they regularly hit greens with fairway woods? If so, they are better than I am as well as most others I play with.

For me, there is a substantial difference between hitting a 5wood off the tee and a 3wood from off the fairway or out of the rough.

The comment wasn't made about high handicappers, @JonMA1. It was made about PGA Tour players.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:30 PM, JonMA1 said:

We got off a tangent so may be confusing. The point was it was commented that the 18th hole at Evian was difficult and that even the men (PGA men) would struggle. I don't see that at all. A 442yd downhill par 4 is hardly difficult for any PGA tour pro. But I do believe it wouldn't be difficult for any decent golfer. I don't think hitting a 3W from the fairway would be necessary very often for even a high handicapper. 

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!