IGNORED

Does Anybody Still Use Ribbed Grips?

billchao
Note: This thread is 2400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been thinking about reminder ribs lately and was wondering how people felt about them. I have a tendency to grip with my left hand too strong at times and I think a reminder might help with that problem. I usually like full cord grips that I can install with the label down, but lately I've been using PURE DTX grips with the label up because I think the grip texture is meant to be oriented in a certain direction.

I was looking at one of two possibilities:

1. Getting ribbed PURE DTX grips from Value Golf
  2. Getting ribs from The Golf Works and installing them under my current grips

I can probably get away with the second option because my grips are in pretty good condition, but it might just be easier to go with the first option.

Should I put reminders on all my clubs or skip the wedges? Do I even need them at all? With the PURE DTX grips, I can turn the label slightly so that I can use it as an alignment aid for my hands, but then I'll have to learn to grip the club with the grip as a visual reference rather than the clubhead. Plus I don't have PURE grips on all of my clubs.

I'm curious to see what others think.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Next time we play Bill, you can try my clubs, all my irons are DTX.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Next time we play Bill, you can try my clubs, all my irons are DTX.

My irons are DTX. I'm asking about putting reminder ribs in or replacing them with DTX with reminders built in.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

My irons are DTX. I'm asking about putting reminder ribs in or replacing them with DTX with reminders built in.

Sorry, I just realized my mistake after I posted, read too fast.

A little off topic, according to Breed, 30% of PGA guys who use Golf Pride use a ribbed grip. Didn't think it was that much.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

31 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

A little off topic, according to Breed, 30% of PGA guys who use Golf Pride use a ribbed grip. Didn't think it was that much.

Makes sense at their level. They have club builders that can precisely place the location of the rib. I figure I could do the same for myself.

I think one of the cons of reminder ribs is that installers might not put them in the right spot and then it's kind of pointless. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

I play Lamkins with a reminder rib.  I blew them on so I can adjust them if needed.  I weakened my grip after I blew them on and adjusting the rib was no big deal.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:50 PM, billchao said:

Makes sense at their level. They have club builders that can precisely place the location of the rib. I figure I could do the same for myself.

I think one of the cons of reminder ribs is that installers might not put them in the right spot and then it's kind of pointless. 

You read my mind! If some local installer is putting those ribs all over the place, you are well and truly screwed!

I prefer ribbed grips. My Hogan Apex clubs have them.

On 9/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, billchao said:

It's not difficult to get the rib where it belongs. The label embossed into the cap of the grip is your guideline..

Note: This thread is 2400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!