IGNORED

Pitch mark ruling

Nutsmacker
Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

So, I was playing in a club championship today and a situation came up in regards to a pitch mark.  I had hit a shot on to the green and it came backwards about 2 inches onto the edge of the fringe.  The pitch mark from my ball was directly in my line and on the green right in front of my ball.  I was not sure if I was allowed to repair the pitch mark or not.  I asked the other players, and 2 of them said it was okay and the other said no.  Since one person said it was against the rules; I played the putt through the pitch mark without repairing as I didn't want to have a rules issue.  

Could I have repaired the pitch mark?  It did end up sort of costing me as I ended up 3 putting from there and taking a bogey since I creamed the ball through the pitch mark...  

Edited by Nutsmacker

You can fix the mark. Check out USGA 16-1(c)

Repair of Hole Plugs, Ball Marks and Other Damage 

The player may repair an old hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball, whether or not the player's ball lies on the putting green. If a ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved in the process of the repair, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. There is no penalty, provided the movement of the ball or ball-marker is directly attributable to the specific act of repairing an old hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball. Otherwise, Rule 18 applies. 

Any other damage to the putting green must not be repaired if it might assist the player in his subsequent play of the hole.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You can fix the mark. Check out USGA 16-1(c)

Wish I had knew this today!  The guy was referencing some situation he witnessed in a PGA event.  I had a feeling it would have been all right, but I didn't want to get into having to look it up, etc.  

I'll add another question:

Could @Nutsmacker have played two balls? Per this rule:

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-03,3-3

3-3. Doubt as to Procedure

a. Procedure for Competitor

In stroke play only, if a competitor is doubtful of his rights or the correct procedure during the play of a hole, he may, without penalty, complete the hole with two balls. To proceed under this Rule, he must decide to play two balls after the doubtful situation has arisen and before taking further action (e.g., making a stroke at the original ball).

The competitor should announce to his marker or a fellow-competitor:

• that he intends to play two balls; and

• which ball he wishes to count if the Rules permit the procedure used for that ball.

Before returning his score card, the competitor must report the facts of the situation to the Committee. If he fails to do so, he is disqualified.

If the competitor has taken further action before deciding to play two balls, he has not proceeded under Rule 3-3 and the score with the original ball counts. The competitor incurs no penalty for playing the second ball.

I would think in this situation, that would possibly be problematic for two reasons:

1. For the second shot, you would get a read on the putt from the first shot.
  2. If you wanted to play the non-ball mark ball first, there would be no way to do that. You'd have to play first with the ball mark. Then fix it. Then play the second.

Bottom line: it feels wrong to play two shots in this circumstance, but I can't figure out what would prevent it in the rules.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandallT said:

You get to play two balls just about any time, so long as you meet the criteria (announce before you take an action with the original ball, etc.).

That would be a stupid one to play two balls under though. You can always repair ball marks on the putting green.

If it was off the green, no, you can't until it's no longer affecting your line of play, stance, area of swing, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

You get to play two balls just about any time, so long as you meet the criteria (announce before you take an action with the original ball, etc.).

That would be a stupid one to play two balls under though. You can always repair ball marks on the putting green.

If it was off the green, no, you can't until it's no longer affecting your line of play, stance, area of swing, etc.

I hadn't previously considered it, but at what point is the pitch mark "on the green"?

A ball is deemed to be on the green if any part of it touches the green.  Is it correct to infer that the same standard would apply to the pitch mark?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Aw jeez! Some of these questions strike me as lame! Just how much in fear of Big Brother are you! If it's on a closely mown surface you can repair the pitch mark! If there's a pitch mark on your line, on the green, even if you are off the green, you're allowed to fix it! It's in your line!

Makes me wonder why so many people are weeniefied regarding the rules of golf!

6 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Aw jeez! Some of these questions strike me as lame! Just how much in fear of Big Brother are you! If it's on a closely mown surface you can repair the pitch mark! If there's a pitch mark on your line, on the green, even if you are off the green, you're allowed to fix it! It's in your line!

This is the Rules of Golf" sub-forum.  It has nothing to do with "Big Brother", but rather discussing and clarifying The Rules as they exist.  If you prefer not to play by certain rules, that's fine, but that preference doesn't change the actual rules.

...and no, you may not simply repair any pitch mark on any closely mown area.

Rule 13-2 applies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

It was a tournament.  We were playing by the rules of golf.  I wanted to know about a situation that arose when I played so I know in the future what the rule is.  Also, it is in a rules forum.  If you are not interested in reading rules questions then you should ignore the forum.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 5:50 PM, Nutsmacker said:

Hello,

So, I was playing in a club championship today and a situation came up in regards to a pitch mark.  I had hit a shot on to the green and it came backwards about 2 inches onto the edge of the fringe.  The pitch mark from my ball was directly in my line and on the green right in front of my ball.  I was not sure if I was allowed to repair the pitch mark or not.  I asked the other players, and 2 of them said it was okay and the other said no.  Since one person said it was against the rules; I played the putt through the pitch mark without repairing as I didn't want to have a rules issue.  

Could I have repaired the pitch mark?  It did end up sort of costing me as I ended up 3 putting from there and taking a bogey since I creamed the ball through the pitch mark...  

Probably because of the differences regarding which can be repaired, the ROG refer those on the putting green as "ball marks" while those off the green a "pitch-marks".  Hyphen only in the pitch-mark.  

2 hours ago, Whiner said:

Probably because of the differences regarding which can be repaired, the ROG refer those on the putting green as "ball marks" while those off the green a "pitch-marks".  Hyphen only in the pitch-mark.  

As for the specific language, neither term appears in the Definitions.  The meaning of the term "ball mark" or hole plug, what is allowed to be repaired, is defined in Rule 16.  The thing is, the rules of golf allow repair of certain things only in Rule 16, which covers the putting green.  The only time that you can repair a pitch mark "through the green" is when the pitch mark was created after your ball came to rest (see Dec. 13-2/8)  Otherwise, you can't improve your situation by repairing pre-existing pitch marks.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 11:28 PM, Nutsmacker said:

It was a tournament.  We were playing by the rules of golf.  I wanted to know about a situation that arose when I played so I know in the future what the rule is.  Also, it is in a rules forum.  If you are not interested in reading rules questions then you should ignore the forum.

On 10/3/2017 at 6:08 PM, DaveP043 said:

As for the specific language, neither term appears in the Definitions.  The meaning of the term "ball mark" or hole plug, what is allowed to be repaired, is defined in Rule 16.  The thing is, the rules of golf allow repair of certain things only in Rule 16, which covers the putting green.  The only time that you can repair a pitch mark "through the green" is when the pitch mark was created after your ball came to rest (see Dec. 13-2/8)  Otherwise, you can't improve your situation by repairing pre-existing pitch marks.

Which is the specific incidence I was referring to. A ball mark on the green in the line of your putt! Is it any wonder that the ruling bodies of golf are trying to simplify the rules? Nutsmacker says volumes about that. He says they were playing by "the Rules of Golf" when in fact they weren't! They were playing by what they THOUGHT the rules of golf were!

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Which is the specific incidence I was referring to. A ball mark on the green in the line of your putt! Is it any wonder that the ruling bodies of golf are trying to simplify the rules?

Huh?

The Rules here are simple. You can repair a ball mark on the putting green at any point in time. That's pretty simple.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

True! But it seems that some others were confused. Perhaps it's how the rule is worded, I don't know. Also, the fact that you can repair a ball mark, but can't tamp down a spike mark. But then, maybe that has been changed. 

Plus, I've noticed some folks are so intent on going by the book, but they don't really know the book by heart (the same as me) that they unnecessarily handicap themselves. The rules can help as well as hurt you.

But once I had a putt bounce a foot in the air and die a mile short and right because of a ball mark, I resolved to walk the line of my putt and look for them and fix them. It was only later that I found that this was allowed!

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

True! But it seems that some others were confused. Perhaps it's how the rule is worded, I don't know.

Yeah, I dunno… The rule is pretty simple to understand.

18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Also, the fact that you can repair a ball mark, but can't tamp down a spike mark. But then, maybe that has been changed.

Not yet. Maybe (likely) in 2019.

Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!