IGNORED

Adding sight line to putter

samrej

Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a TM Spider Tour Red that I’m struggling with for alignment. I love the feel and stability of it, but need some help with squaring it.

Has anyone ever added a sight line (either permanent or non-permanent) to a putter? How did you do it and what did you use?

Edited by samrej

9 hours ago, samrej said:

add a sight line

There are several methods which players add a sight line to putters.
Try drawing a line across the putter for starters.
Several practice aids are made from clip on devices such as lasers, pointers or mats.
Reviews of several products have been posted by members along with discussions
about experimenting with homemade items.

Another method would be to simply practice short putts around a hole to build confidence.
Increase the distance in small increments.
I often practice placing a dime on the line of my putt as a target.            

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have an older 2 ball Odyssey putter.   I took a permanent marker and darkened the leading edge so I could see it better.   It is starting to wear off so I may use black paint to highlight the top edge.   I've also thought about a straight line from the center of the face to the back edge but haven't pulled the trigger on that.  

Great thread! I have a Mizuno TP MIlls that is great but  only has a tiny dot on top to center it on the ball. Will follow everyone's comments and experience with adding sight lines. Thanks, -Marv

7 hours ago, samrej said:

I’d love to find like a vinyl sticker that I could apply and could eventually remove if I decide to ever sell it. 

Good idea! I'll bet one can be had on eBay. I have bought different vinyl custom stickers. I'm going to check. Thanks, -Marv

8 hours ago, samrej said:

I’d love to find like a vinyl sticker that I could apply and could eventually remove if I decide to ever sell it. 

Just about any circuit board company uses rolls of marker arrow adhesives that are peel and stick. You could probably find some at stores like Circuit City, or electronics supply companies. (Fry's)

Edited by Hacker James

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Use a laser and a mirror to find out where you actually aim the thing before you go messing with it.

How does one use a laser, please? Eg, is it attached? And is it the kind of laser used as a pointer available at office supply stores? -Marv

11 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

How does one use a laser,

Lasers are inexpensive.
I bought a used laser used for installing tile which has an adjustable stand.
I place it on the floor and use the light beam to view my stroke and the roll of the ball.
When I make a good stroke, the line is centered through the putter and ball as it rolls.
When I push or pull the ball, it is an instant indicator.

Edited by Club Rat

I have done this before using pin striping from an automotive store. Actually have seen that done on a spider. I've done it on one dark headed putter I have. I'll see if I can post a pic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, parman said:

Here it is. Of course you can go in any direction. :-)

I like that. My problem has been: Is the face sguare to my target? That pinstripe would help. I might put one on the flange to make a "T". Thanks, parman. -Marv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parman said:

I have done this before using pin striping from an automotive store. Actually have seen that done on a spider. I've done it on one dark headed putter I have. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Is that removable? 

14 hours ago, samrej said:

Is that removable? 

It is sticky enough to stay when putting the head cover on and off but can easily peeled off. I checked once and it left no mark and that's on a raw head. 

5 hours ago, Hacker James said:

don't show that to Scotty Cameron or he will put candy colored bling on it and charge you $1,000.

fwiw, I used to work with Scotty.  I ran a data base that tracked components from various subs that were involved in building his putter heads. One place did anodizing, another milling, another inserts, e.t.c.  We had to know the location of each head at all times. This was in the club assembly factory in Escondido CA, since moved to Vista/Carlsbad. Long time ago, they were making the Over sized+ irons at the time. 

Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!